Clutch Baskets for 2001 KDX 200 too groved ?

Got questions? We got answers....
01twostrokingfun

Clutch Baskets for 2001 KDX 200 too groved ?

Post by 01twostrokingfun »

I'm told by stealership that my clutch basket is shot. Grooves/scrape in it and new OEM basket at $275.00 ?

I've been looking on net but unable to find any aftermarket fits for the bike.

Also, going to replace plates,,,,any aftermarket suggestions there?

Basket photos:
http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53 ... 0_0438.jpg

http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53 ... 0_0437.jpg
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Fredette has Billet Clutch Baskets....Give him a call.....
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the marks on the side is normal, they all have it, casting marks of some sort.
the groove on the fingers can be filed I believe and get a season out of it.
+1 on FRP
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I filed and drilled my basket, much better.
'00 KDX 220R
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I don't know much about clutch baskets. Is there anything maintenance-wise I should be doing to prevent wear/damage to the basket? What does drilling it out do? Thxxx
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Weakens it... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

Fredette Racing around $200.

It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Very cool....He must've reproduced the Hinson that is now out of production. Good man.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
01twostrokingfun

I looked at Fredette's site and did not see an application for KDX. I will try calling for a part number.

Is the pic from Canuckhybrid125 an application for KDX?

Also, it was suggested above to file fingers down. I cannot find any spec's regarding tolerances on fingers. Is it enough to just keep the plates inside the fingers or do they operate on a closer tolerance??

Puzzled newbie???? :rolleyes:
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|<>QBB<
ihatefalling wrote:I don't know much about clutch baskets. Is there anything maintenance-wise I should be doing to prevent wear/damage to the basket? What does drilling it out do? Thxxx
Allows more oil to enter the clutch assembly and evacuate it faster. Basically, better lubrication.

As for weakening the basket, obviously be sensible about it. Don't drill GIANT holes. I went with 1/4" and that was plenty, without weakening the basket. Lots of pro teams do it, and aftermarket baskets have "open fingers" for this reason.
'00 KDX 220R
01twostrokingfun

What about the gaps between the fingers? I don't think the waves in the fingers are bad (see pics above) but I am new and don't really know what is normal or abnormal.

The mech at the dealership said replace it when I took it up there for an opinion, but of course I do not know if he was being straight with me or looking out for the dealership.

My bearing froze up on the basket and I guess thats what caused it to get those scrape marks on the outside edges.

I had aluminum shavings in oil and all inside casing!
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

The marks on the outside are from the factory cleaning up casting marks.The marks on the inside is wear,cleaning it up with a file will temporarely fix clutch pull.Soon or later you need to replace,the clutch basket in the picture is for the KDX.
Last edited by canuckhybrid125 on 08:56 am Jun 29 2010, edited 1 time in total.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
01twostrokingfun

Ok thanks. Its torn down now and Im going through the entire motor and bike bearings as I just purchased it in May of this year. So I will call Fredettes and go ahead and order the new basket.

Any thoughts on aluminum plates vs steel plates or the type of friction plates that make a good replacement. Im seeing different kinds of friction plates but dont really know which one (type of material) is better.

Thanks for the input and Fredettes alternative.
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
01twostrokingfun wrote:Ok thanks. Its torn down now and Im going through the entire motor and bike bearings as I just purchased it in May of this year. So I will call Fredettes and go ahead and order the new basket.

Any thoughts on aluminum plates vs steel plates or the type of friction plates that make a good replacement. Im seeing different kinds of friction plates but dont really know which one (type of material) is better.

Thanks for the input and Fredettes alternative.
You can also talk to fredette about new clutch,he has a kit that uses XR400 friction and steel plates I believe.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:the marks on the side is normal, they all have it, casting marks of some sort.
the groove on the fingers can be filed I believe and get a season out of it.
+1 on FRP
A season? :?

Those don't look bad at all

I'd clean em up with a file or Dremel and run it

Mine still looks great after doing it 5 or 6 years ago
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
01twostrokingfun

I would love that fix ! Again I ask though, is there a tolerance/gap width that I should worry about or is it enough that the plates just stay between the fingers?

I have seen worse pictures of the grooves online but I have never taken one apart before myself since I am new to this. Replacing the inner and outer baskets would be a huge expense (3-4 hundred) so I would gladly file them down and go with new plates as an alternative if it is a safe fix.
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

Take it from a certified mechanic, The basket in the pics as long as it does'nt have any hair line cracks any were will be fine and as long as you don't get carried away with the file and just smooth the grooves out you don't need to worry about tolerences. I have done this hundreds of times and have never had one come back on me. One thing you can do to help reduce friction between the plates and the basket is to polish the basket where you filed down the grooves. You can use a dremel for this and you can buy polishing kits for the dremel at wally world. Also I have drilled baskets before and I always used a 3/16" drill bit on the fingers of the basket toward the starter gear and a 1/4" drillbit right above it toward the end of the fingers but if you don't know how to do this properly do't do it at all. I have also drilled the inner hub of the clutch for better oiling as recommended by eric gorr, but again if it ain't broke don't fix it.
good luck.