51T rear sprocket

Got questions? We got answers....
heckler

51T rear sprocket

Post by heckler »

With my rear wheel out, my new 51T sprocket looked like it will interfere with the chainguide under the swingarm. So I didn't install it, and put on my new 47T instead.

What are my options to get a 51T installed? No chain guide? Don't install the lower portion of the guide that stops the chain from dropping? Aftermarket guide?

No, I don't have a machineshop or a welder.

What works well with 51T?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmmm.... don't know of anyone using a 51.... I run a 50 with no problems though...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I have used a 51 sprocket before with no problems on clearance. Using the FRP chain guide.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
plb

Post by plb »

For a 48 with a stock chainguide and stock rubber, I drilled 2 new holes ont the rubber to bolt it more in the back of the chainguide.

Free and it's works!

The chain/sprocket doesn't have a clearance problem after!
heckler

Post by heckler »

it was on sale cheap at RMATV. I'll have to spend some time modifying the chainguide to fit. Thanks.
pdiddy

Post by pdiddy »

I installed a 52T rear and an FRP chain guide this winter. 2 rides so far and no issues.

1st is now granny gear. It is sweet for those trials sections and for following the wife when she is on her ATV. I also never used gears 4-6 with the stock gearing, so I figured what was the point in having it geared so high?
2004 KDX 200
RB Carb and Head mods, 2002 KX 125 Forks, air box lid removed, VForce 3 Reeds, PC Platinum 2 EC, gripper seat cover, Renthal bars, Fredette chain guide, and some other odds and ends
swatts

Post by swatts »

Just did this yesterday. 51 tooth Primary Drive steel rear sprocket, cleared the stock chain guide just fine (was a bit worn though). Haven't ridden it yet, but I foresee no problems with the chain guide etc, so I am going to predict you will be fine.
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Putting on a 51 or 52 is pretty much the same as dropping one tooth up front. That's the way I would go b/c you can save money on the sproket and not have to worry about clearing the chain guide.