So long and thanks for all the fish

Got questions? We got answers....
Jonooffler

So long and thanks for all the fish

Post by Jonooffler »

Hi all just a short not to say that I have left the fold of KDX owners.After a year of ownership I have changed my bike for a WR426 .At the moment there are 1 or 2 things that I have noticed ,the first thing is the WR426 kills your leg when you try to start it. Second thing is that it's heavy to push it the damn thing ( it ran out of petrol ). Power wise this bike feels VERY fast I can't wait to get off road. The last owner had the bike lowered so it feels on a par with the KDX220.
The strangest thing is that I owned the KDX for a year I rode it around town and off road a lot and in that time the only thing that any one said to me was " is that a 125 or 175 " all the other off road bikes that I have owned have draw other bikers in to chat about the bike but not with the KDX in the UK no one notices it. I had only owned the WR for a few moment before a few biker came over to chat about it .
I will miss all the help that you have all given me over the last year and would like to thank you all for your words of wisdom .
I wish you all a long, safe and happy ride.
Thanks Jono
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good luck Jono on your new WR.... I hope it takes you many a mile....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Good luck! Reprtedely one of the best modern racing 4T motors....so you got the right 4-joke.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think allot of people ride for the group thing. I ride a KDX because I am an independant thinker and could care less if someone likes my bike, I know what it is and take pride in knowing what it is.

This is how the KTM thing got started and the 4 stroke thing got started. They can have them. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i downsized last year from a 06 ktm 525 exc (which i bought new) to my kdx 220..i spent a fair bit of £ on my kdx bringing it up to scratch with the usual tyres,chain & sprockets etc but since then (october) ive not spent a penny on it since because it doesnt need anything!...dont get me wrong the ktm is a awesome bit of kit but i lost count on how much i spent keeping it on form..my little kdx may not have the all out horsepower that the ktm has but smiles per mile it matches it no problem & as for ease of maintainence & low running cost well it beats it hands down!...proof you dont need to spend ££££££/$$$$$$ on a all singing & dancing state of the art off road motorcycle to have fun. :supz:
GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

Post by GreatBritishRob »

All the best Jonno. Its good having a big 4 stroke aswell for sure hence having my Husky 450 but i could never sell me KDX. Best of both worlds, lucky me :mrgreen:
Keep in touch mate.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I think allot of people ride for the group thing. I ride a KDX because I am an independant thinker and could care less if someone likes my bike, I know what it is and take pride in knowing what it is.

This is how the KTM thing got started and the 4 stroke thing got started. They can have them. :wink:
It's funny how things come full circle. 2 cycles took over 4s in the late '60s and dominated untill Doug Henry's YZ400. Then thumpers started taking over in most types of racing.

Seems that most folks like to ride what models the pros are riding. I rode Husky four strokes for most of the '90s, and was heckeled by fellow riders on 250 smokers or XRs. Never bugged me, I ride for fun and could care less what's popular.

I like 2 and 4 strokes, they are both fun to ride. I never acclimated to my 426 or my KTM520 except in the dunes. Still like my "old school" thumpers though for the open desert. I think we'll see a resurgance in 2 stroke popularity when they get injected.

All that realy matters is that you enjoy what you ride.
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

The 426 is a good bike with powerful. Motor The bike is really quick. I will tell you though changing a spark plug on the thing is a chore. Its weird how they make the 4t harder to work on the simple things
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Hey Jon.... I had an 02 W426 for about 3 yrs...great bike....if you want to make it an easy start bike, get a compression-release cam for it. You can actually use the 04 YZ cam even tho it looks like it won't work. Hotcams makes one too. Check out thumpertalk for details on the YZ cam mod...it is well worth it and cheap - most guys can handle it themselves, its not that hard to do.

Most people think the KDX is some kind of phoo-phoo bike...but many experienced riders can use its traits to dust the state-of-the art stuff.
There's no way, for example, a WR426 will stay close to a KDX-anything in tight single-track, and even on more open terrain stuff the big thumper will wear you down. The upside of the WR is wheelies, wheelies, and more wheelies....LOL.... :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Now get rid of that 426 & buy the KLX450R. This bike is AWESOME....Grandfather KDX is PROUD off his KLX Grandson :supz:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The WR426 is the only racing 4T enduro I'd own. Well, maybe something with a Rotax in it.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

If you get a chance try the KLX450...I think you will be surprised..Its not Motocross Crazy...Its a Smooth, Torquey, Powerful Engine in an updated frame..........Its a VERY Trail Friendly Machine vs. the MX Bikes moddified for the woods....
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:The WR426 is the only racing 4T enduro I'd own. Well, maybe something with a Rotax in it.
Yamaha definitely seems to have gotten it right in the reliability department of it's racing four strokes, and you're right, nothing compares to an old Rotax, as long as you change the belt as needed.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Indeed....All about the reliability. I'm a 2T diehard, and hope it all comes back full circle again. This would be the rotax I was speaking of:
http://www.atkusa.com/atk/(S(5qfcj2jvy3osuwnxxjegynbq))/documents/2009ATK450Enduro.pdf
Problem with these things is you don't know how good they are until they are out for a few years. The Kawi 4-strokes have not fared well.
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

That isn't a Rotax, it's a Cannondale rebadged.

I had LOTS of them for 3 years and got tired of rebuilding the engines every 3 months (literally, ask my wife). We got rid of all of them, and got trail bikes (KDX and XRs).

ATK is a joke, and the Cannondales are super-finicky. They are either fast or broken, and mine were broken more often. I know them really well, so take my advice........

James
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Interesting. I just assumed they used the rotax 450's as they always used the Rotax 260's for ages....which is a great motor.