O Ring Chain

Got questions? We got answers....
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

O Ring Chain

Post by dave04kdx »

I'm thinking of getting an o ring chain for my 04 200. Do the o rings keep the lubricant where it is supposed to be? Are they worth the extra money? What is the maintenance like with the o ring chains. What would be a good brand toi buy?

Thanks

David
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

1. Yes

2. Yes - Outwear typical chains by 400-800 percent depending on the conditions you ride in. IMO

3. I clean the chain when I wash the bike. Warm up the bike after the wash by driving it for 3 or 4 blocks then spray the chain down with WD-40. Next day I spray on some chain lubrication. Work well for me.

4. I like the DID x-rings chains. But many good chains are available.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The rings keep the lube inside, but they still need lube on the plates.

My Sidewinder o-ring has held up well. They have gotten ridiculous on price, though. wsjkawasaki has a DID X-ring and I liked the way it looked.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I went with a non-oring for the first time ever and I'm not disapointed with its wear. It seems to have help up great. After its first stretching I have only adjusted it once. I probably shouldn't have listened to Jaybird but I did and it seems to be going OK.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

In my opinion the O-ring chains are the only way to go. No more stopping halfway through a 100 mile turkey run to adjust a rubber band. I went about 300 miles before my first adjustment. I run a D.I.D with stock 13/47 sprockets and did not have to make any mods to the chain guide to run it. It cost me around $55.00. I haven't tried the X-ring, but from what I hear they are even better.
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."
cmot

Post by cmot »

I've allways ran non-oring chains and the wear is basiclly the same you just have to be anal about cleaning and care. Butttt in sandy conditions definitly o-ring. :grin:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

stick with the standard chain keep it clean and lube it
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
JD

Post by JD »

My standard chain wore out completely in two months. I got a heavy duty RK to replace it and was totally anal about cleaning it. Scrubbed it down wit a wire brush, soaked it in kero then in used motor oil. Let it drip dry, then gave it some Hondaline lube. Didn't last much longer. But, I ride in miserable conditions here in New Hampshire. There is always mud. There is always some sand. A standard chain just doesn't stand a chance in those conditions. I would always have to adjust my chain after every ride.

I now have an RK X-ring ($60 through local ind. shop) and have adjusted it twice in the last 400 miles. No comparison if you ride in the slop like I do.
'04 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

X-ring is going on my bike as soon as the o-ring chain wears out. IF it ever wears out!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
cmot

Post by cmot »

There ya go , If you ride in slop you better o-ring. I very rarely ride in anything but dry dirt conditions. So I get away with it.
But also you may have jinxed yourself when you soaked it in oil.
It tends to not let a good chain lube penetrate, stick and setup tacky, And it gets thrown off and washed out. :grin:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

2 years and over 2 thousand miles on this X-ring chain I have and the only adjustment was after the initial streach at 3 months/500miles.
I don't do anything but blast it with a pressure washer after every ride.
Jaybird hates that I say this; too bad. That is fact and experiance over his book lerarnin' crapola.
The plates should be lubed but I've never done it. My chain is severly worn from riding on the chain guides. It looks wierd to see a flat spot on each link; like I dragged the chain through a file or something. My sprockets are in absolute perfect condition and look like new except for the oxydation on them. Sprockets and chain were changed at the same time and I recommend a new set of sprockets to go with a new chain just to be good to the chain.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well...there 'ya have it! Everyone agrees, 'eh?

My last chain was an RK-Xring. It has held up fine. One adjustment in almost two years. It'll be good for another six months or so.

Obviously a whole lot of this is going to depend on your particular preference, your riding style and conditions.

I've talked to riders that have the idea their chain is doing great!!...on for years..holds up to an XR650! ...then they are limping home with countershaft sprocket teeth going 't-i-n-k' as they break off. Somewhere along the line, that setup should have already been replaced!

My particular maintenance plan? Power wash the bike, not paying particular attention to the chain. Wipe it off when I get home. WD-it with clean rag, then spray some teflon based spray. FWIW

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I screwed up on my last chain and sprocket set. I got a full Renthal setup. I meant to get the O-ring chain and didn't pay any attention to the box or the invoice after I left the store. I didn't notice it was the standard chain till after I cut it to 110 links :shock: Oh well I figured if I kill it, I kill it. I happy to say so far (about 250+ miles) it's holding up GREAT. I only had to adjust it after the first ride to compensate for stretch. It hasn't moved at all since the first adjustment (it better not either for the $80bux I spent). I figured the Renthal chain would match up really well to their sprockets and so far so good.

BTW I ride in south Florida in 85% sand and lots of mud and standing water.
03 220R