Slick seat and oil out the pipe questions ??

Got questions? We got answers....
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Slick seat and oil out the pipe questions ??

Post by terrapinjam99 »

Just took the new ( to me ) KDX 200 out for a whole day of riding. I am loving this bike, it performed quite well all day long. Just a couple of questions for all.

-- The seat is very slick , I slide around more than I would like. Any advise on different seat covers , or tricks to make the seat a bit more grippy?

-- How do these bikes ( in general ) like to be ran. ( I am new to the 2-stroke world ) . Can I run it wide open for a bit without damaging the engine , over heating it ?? Or , should I just hit wide open throttle for an instant , then shift ?? ( I know the new generation 4 strokers have rev-limiters to prevent damage ) The bike seems to be jetted good, as it performs well low-to-mid-to-top. Maybe just some general thoughts in regards to this, as I don't want to blow this baby up !

--- I do get a bit of oil dripping out of the end of my exhaust (silencer ) after a day of riding. What does this indicate ? Is that bad? ( I am running full synthetic at 40:1 )

Thanks for the insight that all of you provide to KDX newbies such as myself.
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
heckler

Post by heckler »

mine (new to me) came with a gripper seat that is awesome. I have no idea where it was purchased from, but they're out there!

The material has a raised weave in it. Excellent.
sr5bidder

Post by sr5bidder »

I had a gripper seat cover and hated it ...I like to slip around when needed ...if your slipping that much you need to put some wieght on the pegs.
the drippy stuff is spooge, if you only have a few drops then your right, your jetting is real close.
I'll have a small line under the"chin" of my silencer, a drip or 2 on the swinger and some spatter on the fender at the end of the day.

pretty good compared to some of the blackened swingers I've seen.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A Gripper seat gives me Monkey Butt! I hate them.... switched back to an OEM type cover and my ass is much happier!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by terrapinjam99 »

Think I just need to get used to moving around on the seat a bit. I am just used to the high grip motoX style seat that was on my 4-thumper. Man that thing sure did give me some Monkey Butt after a day of riding, but it sure did keep you in place though.

sr5bidder -- , That is exactly the same amount of spooge that I am seeing ! That is good news , - Thanks

Any input on my WOT issue that I listed ? Can you over rev these machines ?
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They like to be rev'd... I wouldn't run WOT in 3rd gear.... shift until you get to the top.... once there... you will be at about 80 mph...

You can top it out... but if you have another gear.... shift when you get there. No reason to ring it out if you have more gears.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Guts and factory effex both make nice gripper seats for the KDX. I am currently using the factory one and its held up good. Its not like a gripper seat from a factory works bike - some of them are practically sand paper - this is actually pretty smooth but it does help.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I wring mine out all the time. The best was this winter in 2 feet of snow, you could go WOT and hold it there for minutes on end in 2nd, just spinning the wheel and drifting around. After a constant 3-4 minutes wide open my bike started to run like ****. Pulled the filter and discovered the carb was iced up! :mrgreen:
'00 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The only reason 4 strokers have rev limiters is that they will float the valves and will bend and crash the valves if over rev'd.... The older 4 strokers didn't have them.... they are allot more solid design.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have a cheap gripper cover on mine. Don't much like it, but it was cheap. I would like to find an affordable seat cover with a slick top and grippy sides.
sr5bidder

Post by sr5bidder »

>|<>QBB<
terrapinjam99 wrote:Think I just need to get used to moving around on the seat a bit. I am just used to the high grip motoX style seat that was on my 4-thumper. Man that thing sure did give me some Monkey Butt after a day of riding, but it sure did keep you in place though.

sr5bidder -- , That is exactly the same amount of spooge that I am seeing ! That is good news , - Thanks

Any input on my WOT issue that I listed ? Can you over rev these machines ?

you really can't over rev them they kind of find their own way of not reving past a certain piont and falling off in accelleration letting you know when its time to shift up...that said you really don;t want to hold the bike wide open for long periods of time ...the big end bearing will start to fly apart. happened last year to a cr85 bw on our trip. so when I hit the road I speed up then pull the clutch and coast for a while then run it back up, coast and so on
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I have a cheap gripper cover on mine. Don't much like it, but it was cheap. I would like to find an affordable seat cover with a slick top and grippy sides.
I have one of these on my CR250 and will I really like it. I am going to put one on the KDX as well. If you order from Hydro-Turf you can get and assortment of colors and patterns.

These offer slightly more grip than OEM, but no monkey butt. Not a gripper, but its kind of in between.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

^ nice. They don't seem to have one for a KDX though....
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:^ nice. They don't seem to have one for a KDX though....
They don't show one for the 02 CR250 anymore on the website. I ordered mine form Dennis Kirk. The guy that told me about these to begin with said you could call them and they still have patterns and will sell you one. I have not called to find out if they will do a KDX or not. I hpe so, I really like the cover.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

I put on a gripper seat a few rides back. I think i prefer OEM. The Hydro looks good too if you can get one.
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad