Trainrobbers enduro

Got questions? We got answers....
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Trainrobbers enduro

Post by frankenschwinn »

I had never done an Enduro race before but I had been around it quite a bit growing up. I had a general idea of how it ran but no experience. Since I bought my motorcycle in Dec. I have ridden pretty consistently but not a lot of long rides. Mostly around 50 mile ride days.

I signed up for the long course which would work out to be around 80 miles.

The race started at 8:01 with rows of four riders going out at 1:00 min intervals. I was on row 19. I took off (no warm up riding of course) going pretty fast. My back tire clipped a stump amd flew out to the side and caused me to lose my tool pack. I had to stop and pick it up as I watched my buddies disappear into the woods. I got back on the bike and started to make my way back up to them. I had to pass a couple of people on the trail before I caught them. We came out on a road and saw one of the guys on the row in front of us which was not good because it meant we were coming into a checkpoint at least one min. early. After that it was just a matter of maintaining speed and watching for riders in rows ahead of us. I eventually lost track of the other guys on my row and just rode my race and tried to lose as little time as possible. I came into one check at about 50 miles and was 18 min. down. I was very discouraged and tired by this time as the course was really difficult and it was very hot. I started considering taking the cutoff to the short course. I have been through this many times on the mountain bike. Where I reached the point that it was not fun anymore and my demons were telling me to quit. I came into a checkpoint just before the cutoff and found I had mad up 12 minutes in the last section. When the split for the short course came (mile marker 62) I made the decision to go on with the long course. All was going well till I made a slight mistake and ended up dropping my bike. Picking it up sapped my energy then I had to put my bike on reserve because I had missed the last gas stop. I had 5 more miles to go to get to the next gas and I only had a 2 gal jug there. That was not enough to finish on. While I was wrestling with my bike one of my buddies came up on the trail. I had passed him when I went around a chocked hill climb. He was really struggling and out of water. We limped out of the woods (with a couple more falls on my part) and called it quits at the gas stop. I was shivering and had goose bumbs and it was 95 deg. I ended up with about 60-65 miles

I was pretty disappointed that I did not finish but I knew it was the right decision. One of the guys with us had waited for the awards and called me on the way home to tell me I had placed 3rd in my class. I guess a LOT of people had bailed earlier than me

The KDX was flawless. It hung with much newer "nicer" bikes without any issue. I did manage to cave in the left side radiator when I dropped the bike.

Also, Many KTMs of all flavors were overheating. not so much with the kdx... Even after a caved in Rad.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Pretty cool. No way could I ride that far in that kind of heat. My water would be gone in an hour if I lived that long. Good for you for trying to stick with it. I bet they get easier as you get a few under your belt.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The trainrobbers was in Arkansas this past Sunday, right?
I got several reports from riding buddies that it was a good race.

65 miles in that terrain is a fine ride. There would have been no shame in taking that short course cutoff, thats why they have them for certain classes.

I've been in that boat - shivering at 95 degrees. The end was near!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Yes it was AR. I should have kept myself fueled better (eaten more during the race) I have another one coming up in two weeks. I will finish this one.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Hot chills = heat exhaustion. Good times. I have been known to get heat exhaustion in the last bits of an enduro when it's less than 80 degrees! A couple falls, a failed hillclimb or two, and you feel sick as a dog. They aren't called "enduros" for nothing.
David Eckel