damn this bike

Got questions? We got answers....
bmann

damn this bike

Post by bmann »

So finally find a kickstand for the ladys bike, go to bolt it on and the swingarm nuts are both stripped. Have a parts bike with a working swingarm so it is not the end of the world, but I Just changed the bearings on the old one and hate wasting money. Changed out her carb, the old slide looked very worn, but still drips fuel all the time. According to the manual, you need a tool to properly set the float bowl height (if this is what is causing it to pee). So the question of the day is do I need the tool for the carb, and is it possible to reuse the "new" old bearings or will it destroy them taking them out again. On a better note, besides peeing fuel everywhere with the new top end this bike has some kick to it - this with the stock pipe still!
This $500.00 bike is now approaching about $1800.00 :roll: , no more project bikes for a while :rolleyes: . But it has been fun learning so far.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No tool needed. I use a mechanics rule to set my float level. I set it to 17mm at the deepest part. Stops the peeing all the time. Also, check the needle valve and seat for crud. Burnish the seat and make sure the needle valve is a perfect tip and not worn.

On the kickstand... go to the hardware store and buy a couple hardened bolts one size larger. It will thead in with force and will not go ANYWHERE! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

you can try taping on the carb, sometimes this works to get the trash out and to get the float seat back down if it is stuck up a little.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360