freezing pipe to remove dents????

Got questions? We got answers....
wvsp612

freezing pipe to remove dents????

Post by wvsp612 »

While surfing some other sites, KTMTALK.COM specifically, I saw several threads about putting water in the pipe and freezing the pipe to remove dents. Anyone have any experience with this? If so, does it work?

:hmm:
Cody
2003 KDX 200
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

wvsp612

Post by wvsp612 »

they talked about actually filling the pipe to about 75% full with water, then putting the pipe in the freezer, letting the water freeze, to force the dent out by the force of the pressure of the ice. Anyone tried it??
Cody
2003 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You run a chance of spliting the pipe too.... not sure if it would work or not.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I tried it 2 or 3 times....varying water levels....never worked :cry:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
kevfort19

Post by kevfort19 »

it have a better technique ... you weld two caps to the two holes of the pipe . you take a torch and you heat it.

the only thing is that the chrome or nickel plating change color but your pipe have no dents. normally this technique is use for the stock black pipe
KDX 220 2001 =)

Don'T drink and drive...just give some gas and fly :D
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I did it on a crushed titanium pipe on my 450 and it worked great.
It took three freezes to remove the dent in pipe with about a
50% restriction.
After the freeze you could hardly tell it was ever damaged.
I did not plug the ends.

I would be careful on a 2t pipe not to separate at the seams.
Check it a couple hours after you put it in the freezer then every
hour after.
Last edited by TWMOODY on 09:17 pm Jun 10 2010, edited 1 time in total.
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

I have used the freezing technique successfully, but it was on a four stroke pipe. I put shrink wrap over both ends and taped it water tight. My water level in the pipe was as high as I could get it. I didn't ever think about it busting but that a good point. I would probably be more prone to bust on a two stroke pipe b/c they have seams and seem to be thinner that the four stroke pipe.

Thanks,

John
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

i do the 2 stroke pipes with no problem... useing the heating process that is. i have tryed the freezing with NO succes.... also useing the freezing process you risk splitting the pipe on the seems, there is no way to pinpoint you problem areas.. ........................ i use about 50 psi and a torch to do pipes. as far as a bomb?? the pipe, if, and i say if the pipe "blows" up.. it would just spit the weekest place and the air would just spray out..... think about it this way.. you have 35psi to 85psi in a rubber tire,,, right? when you have a blowout, it is the weekest point, and it dosent blow the car up now does it??
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

Could you put ratchet straps around the pipe (Like 10 of them) in all areas except the dent, because wouldn't it take the path of least resistance and force the dent out?
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

i guess you could? but it takes like 15-20 min to fix with heat, and a long time to freeze and you dont know what you will end up with, if it even works............. and think about ice "pressure"...... when a car block freezes, i have seen the freeze plugs rusted so that they did not work, and the block split open like a tin can, that is alot of force. i can controll the heat, and work a body hammer to what i need, where i need it...... you cant control the amont of pressure with ice..
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
kdxmaniac wrote:i guess you could? but it takes like 15-20 min to fix with heat, and a long time to freeze and you dont know what you will end up with, if it even works............. and think about ice "pressure"...... when a car block freezes, i have seen the freeze plugs rusted so that they did not work, and the block split open like a tin can, that is alot of force. i can controll the heat, and work a body hammer to what i need, where i need it...... you cant control the amont of pressure with ice..

You wouldn't have fixed my pipe with heat ! Guaranteed
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

>|<>QBB<
kdxmaniac wrote:i guess you could? but it takes like 15-20 min to fix with heat, and a long time to freeze and you dont know what you will end up with, if it even works............. and think about ice "pressure"...... when a car block freezes, i have seen the freeze plugs rusted so that they did not work, and the block split open like a tin can, that is alot of force. i can controll the heat, and work a body hammer to what i need, where i need it...... you cant control the amont of pressure with ice..
I'm gonna try it with a shitty lt250 FMF expansion chamber (It's had holes welded shut before and looks like crap) just to test my idea.

I'll let you all know.

It's an FMF fatty pipe.
pietman

Post by pietman »

Carefull with the freezing dent removal method. I know it has worked for some, but I wouldn't leave it in the freezer overnight. Check it often, as has been mentioned.

This is what happened to one of the posters on my local offroad forum after leaving his 4t pipe in a freezer too long:

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

^ Got the dent out! :lol:
'00 KDX 220R
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

>|<>QBB<
pietman wrote:Carefull with the freezing dent removal method. I know it has worked for some, but I wouldn't leave it in the freezer overnight. Check it often, as has been mentioned.

This is what happened to one of the posters on my local offroad forum after leaving his 4t pipe in a freezer too long:

pics removed
Yeah, that's why I'm testing it on a pipe I don't use, and is already shitty
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

{twmoody}You wouldn't have fixed my pipe with heat ! Guaranteed[/quote]

why do you say that?? i have fixed really bad dents, like fist size with heat. if its tore at the seam"welds" , i just tig weld it, cant even tell it was worked on.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Fist size dent on a 2t pipe you say ??

How many pipes have you fixed like that and how many came out looking
like it had the mumps after having to much heat for just that split second ?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The heat trick works quite well, especially if you pressurize the pipe with a few lbs of air first. Yes, even on fist sized dents.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:The heat trick works quite well, especially if you pressurize the pipe with a few lbs of air first. Yes, even on fist sized dents.
That would be correct on a 2t pipe but not so sure on that one for a 4