Chest protector

Got questions? We got answers....
Mountainman650

Chest protector

Post by Mountainman650 »

Hey guys
I'm looking to get a chest protector and wanted some opinions.
Doing trail riding and want something well built with good ventilation
and protection...
Thor aftershock?
Fox airframe?
O'Neal?
Shift?
Also ,looking for the best place to buy,$$$...
Thanks
Dave in Pa.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I bought a Nemesis body armor and about killed myself in it. I got severely dehydrated with it on. I went and bought a Thor Aftershock since then and have tested it pretty well. I like it much better than that body armor. It's still alittle warm but it's much better vented. I also got the unfortunate chance to test how it would be on a crash, and drove my shoulder into a dirt wall and it held up to that extremely well. Scratched it up but hey it saved me from a bad shoulder injury and only left minor briusing on the front and back of my shoulder. I'm very happy with it.

I bought mine locally for $124. I think you can get one cheaper from Rocky Mountain or Dennis Kirk.

Jon.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I don't know what is best but I have been happy with the Moose Chest protector (also not very flasher by today standards) - I believe it was originally called a M1 but looking in the catalog the current version appears to look like my 6 year old one which has been crash tested and has had branches poked hard in the chest area twice. The chect protector has stood up well although the stickers were gone after about the second ride. After about four years I pop riveted the bicept pads back onto the nylon straps from which they hang from the shoulder guard. I believe I also riveted the front chest proctor after the second year to reinforce how it was attached.

What I like is that it is comfortable on my 195 lbs body and doesn't pinch/poke/hangup in any areas. I believe it offers good protection but not likely the best since it sits against the jersey except for the shoulder pads which are spaced above the shoulders. Ventilation is good in my viewpoint but there are others that appear to be better. I've run my older boys chest protectors a time or two and also tried some of the body armor suit protection at the BMX track while racing in the old man cruiser class (51+yrs).

In my opinion having protection is very important! Wearing good protection that you don't remember you wearing while you ride is worth more to me than wearing the Very Best protection that lets you know it there all the time. i.e. restricted movement, uncomfortable in chest area, shoulder guards that "catch", overheating etc.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
karbon_dunn

Post by karbon_dunn »

I have a '04 model Fox Airframe. As far as ventilation and protection goes it works very well. I went down a hill last year where before it had been a steep incline until last year at some point and the last 8 feet had eroded away and I pile drove shoulder first over the bars. From that standpoint I am pleased but any chest armor should do the same. The one issue I have with it and I ride with a CamelBak Mule with about 15-20 lbs when fully loaded with water/food/tools/etc. The plastic rivets on the back that allow the lower part of armor to flex tended to rub on my back. Weatherstripping and duct tape fixed the problem though.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I have the '04 Fox Airframe and like it. I weigh 195 butt nekkid and I think the large is a tad small. If I lost the 20 pounds I need to, it would fit me better, but I think it is a tad short. I wish someone would make a chest protector that was for a longer torso.
I bought the Fox to replace the O'neal I have. I rode with the o'neal for 2 years and it held up perfectly. Only reason I bought the Fox was because the o'neal is looking a bit thrashed due to scraches and such. It is about an inch longer in the torso than the Fox and it has larger shoulder guards and bicep guards. The Fox has better lower back / kidney protection though.
Either way I think you would be satisfied.
I have ridden with guys using the moose protectors and have not heard any complaints with those either.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I think it was Mark who has one of those superdooper, you beaut, all-in-one roost protector / knee guard thingys, well thats what it looked like in the photo's on this site so it must be true. :lol: I have the large Airframe also and I wear my 3L hydration pack underneath it with no fitment problems (bare in mind I'm 6'5" 70kg wet). I have the Fox hybrid kidney belt which protects my lower back that little bit extra too.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."