removing rear wheel bearings ?

Got questions? We got answers....
01twostrokingfun

removing rear wheel bearings ?

Post by 01twostrokingfun »

2001 kdx 200: how do you remove the bearings? I have removed the snap ring but no luck getting bearings out? Any sugeestions?

Also, I tried searching by topic but got no hits? Any other ways to search the site?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

wvsp612

Post by wvsp612 »

If you have an Autozone store near you, go rent their bearing puller set from their tool rental program, you pay a deposit to "rent" the tool, then get the deposit back when you return the tool. Their bearing puller simply expands inside the inner race, then uses a slide hammer to remove the bearings. It was quick and painless. it is also cheaper than buying the tool since you won't use it that often. I did it this way on my 2003 . It was my first attempt and went flawlessly.
Cody
2003 KDX 200
01twostrokingfun

OK THANKS! So the bearing comes out the same side it goes in or do you push the whole assembly through one side only?

I looked on cyclepedia, but it was not clear how (which side) the bearing comes out? Only one side or individual sides?
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

each bearing comes out of it's respective side....they don't go through the middle. I use a long, beefy screwdriver....did I just say that :shock:

I heat the hub around the bearing with a propane torch for a bit, then put the screwdriver though the hub, make sure it grabs a little bit of the opposite bearing and then beat it out in a circular fashion....make sense? You've got to work it out of there evenly, can't beat the bearing too long in one spot or it'll get cockeyed in there.

make sure you grease the "sleeve" where the bearing goes before you put the new ones in there....they'll come out easier next time.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
01twostrokingfun

That makes it clear. I just was not sure if I could beat it through the circlip side or not. I just bought the bike last month so Im trying to bring it up to snuff. It has some crud and rust as if somebody went for a swim, so Im glad I took it apart to check.

Thanks for all the posts, very helpful for a new guy who trys all his own repairs.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

No prob.....don't know if you're doing this too but.....you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to check your swingarm and rear shock bearings. They get the most mud and abuse of all and since they're hidden they are easy to overlook or put off till a later date.

I put mine off too long, the bearings fell apart and chewed up the link. I had to replace it :sad:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged