Im not having fun any more.

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Im not having fun any more.

Post by rbates9 »

Ok, this Jetting thing is getting to be a pain in the #%& and costly. I have a 2000 KDX 200 with a FMF woods pipe, turbin core 2, brand new boisen torque reeds, air box lid opened up, run 32:1 golden spectro with 92 octane. I live / ride between 1500 ft and sea level. I have read Indas jetting guide (thank you inda) and went to a 45 pilot, raised the needle one clip and gone up to a 165 main. the power is there from the bottom to about 3/4 throttle but seems to run out of rpms quickly at full throttle. While doing the plug chop I get the cleanest whitest plug you could imagine. the bike has about 135 psi of compression, brand new no toil air filter and the silencer was just repacked. there has been no "mods" done to the engine. How high of a main jet are you guys using, i see most of you are running alot lower. I have to stop by the bike shop tomarrow to get a few bigger jets.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

where are you looking at the plug when you're "doing a plug chop"? You need to cut the threads away and read the very base of the insulator. The part you can't see while the plug is still in one piece. The end will of course still look new because, well, it'll be new!

Anyway, 165 is way too huge on the main. You shouldn't be anywhere close to that. Use 155 or something as your baseline, do proper plug chops by removing the metal from the plug and reading the burn line at the base of the insulator.
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

The chop test is very important but, I found that 32:1 was just not going to work well on my 04' kdx 200 and after talking to the mechanic at the kawi. dealer 50:1 has been just about perfect through trial and error. I would change that and get a good quality (high flow) air filter. before doing anything.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Any mix will work fine, including 32:1. You have to jet for the mix, not mix for the jetting.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

If your plug is that white with a 165 main you may have an air leak.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

^ Yes

When it 'runs out of RPM' what exactly does that mean?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I checked for air leaks around the carb, reeds, ect. none. it seems that if the crank seals were leaking i would have some oil comsumption in the gear box. ?
I have the needle in the second slot from the bottom (raising the needle) and with the 45 pilot I am between 1 1/4 and 1 3/4 turns out depending on weather.
during normal riding the plug seems to stay about brown, not tan and not black. but the lack of top end and the seeming to be lean has me thinking to go bigger with the main.???
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Check to make sure your power valves are working properly. It almost sounds like they are not opening.

Another side note; The woods pipe does not have much if any over rev, just the nature of that pipe.

Ron