Best Transmission Oil to use in KDX200?

Got questions? We got answers....
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by terrapinjam99 »

Was wondering what is the best transmission oil to use in my 2002 KDX200 ? The manual says to use 10W-40. Have you all found that to be the best for these bikes over the long term ? Thanks
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The safest answer is 10w-40 motor oil designed for 4 stroke bikes since they share the motor and clutch oil. It works well for me.....

Some use Automatic transmission oil.... I haven't had much luck with it. Hard shifting for me.

Try avoiding automotive oils since they mostly contain friction modifiers and will cause your clutch to slip. The industry has gotten lax on labeling oils with these modifiers because they are becoming the norm instead of the exception.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Right on all counts, except ATF works great for me. I go back and forth between that and honda HP oil. I find the ATF gives me a smoother shift and less clutch drag, but it does need changing frequently.
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by terrapinjam99 »

What about a 80W gear lube ?? I called and asked the prevouis owner and he said that is what he had used. Can I change from that and start using the suggested "10W-40 designed for 4 strokes w/o the friction modifiers" ?? Or is it best to just keep using that 80W ? Any problems with changing ? Thanks
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

no problem in changing oil.
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

I've been running silkolene medium weight gear oil and it shifts like silk for me. ATF is something to think about though.
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

I just got done changing my gear oil.

Previous owner ran PJS 2-stroke gear oil.

I changed up and put Klotz Flex Drive 30 in since it had such rave reviews.

The "30" in the name had me a bit concerned when I placed the order, but after I got shipment, it is actually a 80-90w oil.

Now only time will tell.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Right on all counts, except ATF works great for me. I go back and forth between that and honda HP oil. I find the ATF gives me a smoother shift and less clutch drag, but it does need changing frequently.
Same here.

EDIT: Except the Honda oil!
Last edited by SS109 on 05:43 pm Jun 04 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

I use Rotella (15w40), that's what Rekluse recommends and I haven't noticed a difference from the Honda HP 80/85wt I was using.
I think it's more important that the oil is changed out frequently than what it is (provided it's reasonable). I usually ride 3-4 hours in a given day, and I change my oil out every other ride.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I use the honda HP at times because the old worn out clutch in my 73 really likes it, so I usually have some on-hand. I've had it in the KDX a time or two, but it likes the ATF better for whatever reason. I've also used 80 and 90w gear oils, rotella, and several MC specific tranny oils other than the HP. You can really get good results from a wide variety of oils, so feel free to change it up a bit and see what works better for you. Different oils will definitely give different shifting and clutch feel, and everyone likes different things, right? Inda makes a very good point about mislabeling and oil, so definitely be careful using automotive oils.
michael

Post by michael »

What ATF are your guys using, Type F (non slippy) or Dextron III (slippy) not sure if its the same worldwide....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Type F.
Braap0!0
Supporting Member

Post by Braap0!0 »

Rotella 15w40 .. I change it so often no matter what type I run, it doesn't have time to break down past the point of harm. I've always ran it and have had zero issues with smooth shifts. I've worried high and low about what I should run, but trial and error says..just make sure there is oil in it! :lol: ,, hey,, my first post..nice! :butthead:
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

Braap0!0 wrote:Rotella 15w40 .. I change it so often no matter what type I run, it doesn't have time to break down past the point of harm. I've always ran it and have had zero issues with smooth shifts. I've worried high and low about what I should run, but trial and error says..just make sure there is oil in it! :lol: ,, hey,, my first post..nice! :butthead:
I use that Rotella in my KLR, but not in the KDX.

The Rotella is highly recommended in the KLR forums, but never even gave a thought to it for the KDX.

Since a lot of peeps here are running ATF, I would assume it would probably hold up fairly well, since ATF if thinner than 80-90 weight gear oil.

I'll stay tuned into this and see if anyone else tries it before I entertain the idea.
chrisfromlocalgroup

Post by chrisfromlocalgroup »

Hi guys I'm new to KDX and the forum! Just wanted to ask if this oil would be ok for my '99 kdx 200 :

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalube/ca ... ductscroll

Thanks in advance!
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

chrisfromlocalgroup wrote:Hi guys I'm new to KDX and the forum! Just wanted to ask if this oil would be ok for my '99 kdx 200 :

Thanks in advance!
Looks good enough to me.

It's 4 stroke motorcycle oil, as stated very early in the tread, that is what some use.

Don't let the word Yamaha mean you can't use it in a Kawasaki.
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I've ALWAYS used type f ATF in every bike I've owned, but on the Kdx (02) I have I've noticed that shifting is Notchy after a couple hour ride. I went to wal Mart and bought the Walmart brand 10-w40 and changed it today before I rode and I am really happy with how much better it seems to shift. It also didn't seem to bother the clutch any as well, so for $2.65 a quart I think ill use it from now on. Some might still advocate ATF, and maybe a better brand would work better though( I used Walmart ATF). Next oil change I may put a good brand ATF in just to make sure, but for now the 10-w40 seems to get along with my bike fine. I also vote for rotella 15/40. It's cheap, Jaso rated for wet clutches, and its all I run in my new Honda rancher 420. Seems to stay clean for a loong time as well. Good oil!
2002 KDX 200
chrisfromlocalgroup

Velocity_Stack wrote:
chrisfromlocalgroup wrote:Hi guys I'm new to KDX and the forum! Just wanted to ask if this oil would be ok for my '99 kdx 200 :

Thanks in advance!
Looks good enough to me.

It's 4 stroke motorcycle oil, as stated very early in the tread, that is what some use.

Don't let the word Yamaha mean you can't use it in a Kawasaki.
Thanks Velocity_Stack! I am from Costa Rica and we don't have distributors for a wide variety of brands, however Yamaha is strong in here and from what I have read is a more reliable brand than Motul ( which was being used by the old owner for engine and transmission). As soon as I got my bike I shifted to Yamalube 2R for engine and works better and produces less smoke. Now I am planning to **** to Yamalube 10w40 for transmission, let's see how it goes.

For engine oil I have been
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Best Transmission Oil to use in KDX200?

Post by Velocity_Stack »

I had no owners manual to go by when I bought my KDX, so I just asked the previous owner what he used (a tech from a dealership), then converted to a synthetic of the same weight.

He had a couple of 4 wheeler projects in his spotless home garage at the time I bought - that went a long way knowing he was meticulous about his machines.

Mine seems to shift fine, but I'm not a avid rider like most are on here.

I might spend about 4 hours total a year riding the KDX - it's more of "I've got a dirt bike if I need one" kind of thing.
chrisfromlocalgroup

Re: Best Transmission Oil to use in KDX200?

Velocity_Stack wrote:I had no owners manual to go by when I bought my KDX, so I just asked the previous owner what he used (a tech from a dealership), then converted to a synthetic of the same weight.

He had a couple of 4 wheeler projects in his spotless home garage at the time I bought - that went a long way knowing he was meticulous about his machines.

Mine seems to shift fine, but I'm not a avid rider like most are on here.

I might spend about 4 hours total a year riding the KDX - it's more of "I've got a dirt bike if I need one" kind of thing.
Same here! Since my job consumes a lot of my time I almost have no time to get the bike dirty so I mostly use it to go to work. BUT I have never enjoyed riding to work that much :mrgreen: