Woo hoooo...finally found one!

Got questions? We got answers....
motv8r
Supporting Member

Woo hoooo...finally found one!

Post by motv8r »

Well, after a two month search for a super clean KDX 200 I finally found what I was looking for. Had previously talked to a guy selling his on craigslist who got me in touch with another person about to list his. Was able to work out a deal in a day and brought my new baby home last night!

Wanted to say thanks for the input I received in another thread. Now it's time to make sure everything is cleaned up before I take it out. The bike is like new with barely a scratch on it.

I need to know what you experienced guys/gals would do in my situation. Although it looks new I want to know what I should do before I start riding it. I will flush and change the radiator and change the tranny fluid, but what else should I do. I've also heard about them coming from the factory with little grease on the bearings. If true, can anyone point me to a thread that shows where they are and how to get at them?

Also, how do you guys wash your bikes? I have a pressure washer but don't want to do anything that could do damage. Should I hand wash it instead? Probably a stupid question...so be patient! :rolleyes:

Many thanks, and looking forward to getting involved in this forum!

As promised here are some photos of my new toy!

This is what my wife got since I was getting the bike. He's cute! But my bike doesn't crap in the house!!!
Image[/img]
Last edited by motv8r on 09:59 pm Jun 03 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wheel bearings, Swingarm bearings, linkage bearings and steering head bearings all need inspected and greased. If this hasn't been done and the bike was used at all.... they will need it, I guarantee it.

Your next step is to purchase a manual. The online version is very good and can be purchased from the link at the top of this page to the right. You can look up whatever procedure you want and print it out. This saves messing up a hardcopy manual with grease, oil and such.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Congrats, But no picture, didn't happen. :wink:

I would recommend getting the online manual at the top of the main page to get you up to speed on the bearing tear down. There's a lot of them and you're right they are seldom greased at the factory. The steering head bearings are the same way. I would also change the fork oil while I was at it, but there's some merit in riding the bike a while to see what you think of the fork springs. Usually they're way to soft. You can get some XR400 springs that work a lot better. The stock fork oil is pond scum, so rinse it out real well if it was never changed before.

Have fun!
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Indawoods...thanks for the reply. How difficult are these bearings to get to? Could all of this be done in an afternoon? I will get the manual and I'm guessing most of you get the lifetime subscription?

Mike, I am 5' 11" and 195lbs without gear. Would the stock springs be ok for me? Also, how hard is it to change the fork oil? What would you recommend as a replacement oil?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... lifetime is transferable too.

Stock springs are good to about 150# max. You will need .38 or .40 springs for your weight. Stock is .35 if I remember right. Kayaba makes 5 wt and 10 wt... I take the 2 and mix them to get a 7 weight... You will need under 2 quarts to do the job. Changing the oil is pretty straight forward but you will have to remove the forks to do it right. I beleive the online manual covers that along with all the bearing maintenance. It could all be easily done in a day.... everything.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Stock springs for the front are set for about a 150 lb rider, so you'll want to upgrade. It's pretty easy to change the oil, but like I said, you should make sure you get the old stuff out. I think the stock oil is supposed to be 5 wt. I'm about 195 in gear. And the stock springs felt dangerous to me. I went to .38 kg springs, and probably could have gone to .40 kg. I went with 7.5 wt when I changed my oil, but I felt like it made things a little wonky. If I was doing it over again I would put 5 wt in , spring properly, then get used to the bike and do the KX fork upgrade when I was ready. I'm no suspension expert and a lot of people say they can make the stock forks work. When I swapped to KX forks it was night and day. everything was better. Get some seat time on the bike and see what way you want to go.

edit> Inda types faster than me, but at least we agree for the most part. :wink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You are probably more spot on... I really didn't mess with the stock forks much before switching.... I think it was the face plant I did because of the fork underhang! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

THank you both for the input. So it sounds like I'll need to change the springs at some point. Should I go ahead and change the fork oil now, ride it until I know when I'll change them or just leave them alone until I change the springs?

BTW...this is a 2005 model with about 100 miles total. It was owned by two previous people, both middle aged and was not dogged out at all, but I'm not sure how much maintenance was done.

Oh yeah, Mike, I meant to say earlier that I'll get some photos up tomorrow....just to prove I'm not lying! :razz: :lol:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'd do it all at once personally....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

heckler

Post by heckler »

new bike in mint condition - ride it! (After you change the engine oil, which takes 10 minutes)

But do the maintenance in the next couple weeks. It'll take some time to figure each item out, and what parts and tools you'd need (if any). that's been my approach.

The headset grease and fork oil are next on my list, as well as the chain and rear sprocket.

I've replaced the linkage bearings (a big job if they're siezed), straightened the radiators and a couple frame brackets, cleaned the airbox/filter, new front drive sprocket, new handguards, new rear wheel bearings, installed rad guards and am waiting for a skid plate.

You'll be happy you got the rigth bike in good condition - I bought the first one I looked at, and am paying for it dearly.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Well, I got it washed tonight and added some pictures. Heckler, I think I'll take your approach and change the oil plus the antifreeze, then get to everything else in the next few weeks.

Indawoods, I am going to have a look at the manual and see whether I can knock this out in a day. If so, I'll try that but somehow I bet I'll be looking for some trails and hoping I don't screw anything up!

Enjoy the pics and let me know what you think.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Man... that thing is SPOTLESS! Very very nice.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Looks really really good. I mean REALLY good.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

It's like a window backwards in time!
David Eckel
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Cherry!! Nice Job man!!

I am going to ride mine tonight!!! :supz:
06' 200 Bone Stock
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I'm really happy I found it as I'm more of a "buy it stock and build it the way you want it" kind of guy. I'll probably be in deeper than most of you, but I'm looking forward to working on it. I really wanted to find something like this for under $2K, but paid $2150, which I know is on the high side of things, but like I said above...I get to start stock. Plus, I just couldn't wait any longer and I figured what's another $150? Anyways, I'm hoping to go out for the first time this weekend and get acquainted.

Hope it's a great weekend for everyone! :mrgreen:
heckler

Post by heckler »

holy crap, that's not a dirt bike.

I never thought it would hurt to scratch a bike that old, but it's gonna hurt the first time you show it some dirt and drop it on a rock.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Very clean. mine started that way. ride the heck out of it. you will love it.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

First mod - proper bark busters. Your fingers are worth it!
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

Very nice!