This would be cool !

Got questions? We got answers....
Road Dawg
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

This would be cool !

Post by Road Dawg »

You know if one of you more experienced guys would make a DVD of a piston change for a KDX, I bet you could sell it! Knuckleheads like me would love that..

I'd buy one for sure. I have the skill, I'm just kinda shy about tearing all that stuff apart. It'd be nice to have someone do this. You could have a whole catalog of KDX DVD's.

Jetting, Setting up Suspensions, Top end, bottom end, etc.

I think there would be a market for this kinda thing. I had a bike 20 some years ago and I worked on it a little, but I've got two KDX's and would love to do some of the things I read about, I am just a little gunshy to tear my bike apart by myself. I hate to take things to the shop...
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

I'd buy it.
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

You can do it. I also was scared to ruin a perfectly good running bike. If you have the manual, you could do a top end in a few hours. The sense of accomplishment you get when it fires up the first time is the best feeling ever. If you question any step, STOP, reread it 10 times. If it's still confusing, you have us; guys/gals that have collectively done every mod hundreds of times. If you have the tools, a little common sense, and the manual, you have everything you need.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
kevfort19

Post by kevfort19 »

i second varmint... my first top end was this winter i tear it down for a check up and i clean all the kips (it was very stick because the $#@&ing ipone with strawbery smell) i put it back together and fire it up at the second kick!!!! i was very pround. and i do it alone with my manual.
KDX 220 2001 =)

Don'T drink and drive...just give some gas and fly :D
heckler

Post by heckler »

duuude...

youtube.

[youtube][/youtube]
heckler

Post by heckler »

Rocky Mountain has a couple too.

[youtube][/youtube]
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

bike on stand in neutral
drain coolant
remove seat
remove rad shrouds
remove tank
remove pipe springs, and pull pipe away (don't need to remove from bike)...same for carb at the boot.
remove head-stay bolt
remove head
remove cylinder base bolts
remove cylinder. may need to rotate with kicker to get piston at bottom
stuff clean rag in case
remove wrist-pin clips and wrist pin
piston/rings are now in your hand
'deglaze' cylinder walls by lightly buffing with some scocth brite
reverse

Just off the top of my head...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

#1: clean your bike REALLY well so that no dirt falls into the crankcase before you get the chance to stuff a rag in there...
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

I am learning. I actually, all by my little self, figured out the part and part number that I needed for my intake manifold.

Inda should be way proud of his Sister-in-Law. (Cuz he knows me like none of you do.)

Poor Inda. :lol:
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Road Dawg
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Road Dawg »

The KDX video isn't real good Pics.. tHE Rocky Mountain ATV Video is for a yamaha.. At some point I'll try it.

May be winter tl I even think about it though.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Replacing the top end is very intuitive. As in, there's only one way for it to come apart, and one way for it to go back together. It's a two stroke, you're talking about half a dozen parts total. If you have a service manual, it's a no brainer, really. The only difficult part is making the commitment to do it for the first time.