1990 runnig gear into 1997-ish frame....

Got questions? We got answers....
michael

1990 runnig gear into 1997-ish frame....

Post by michael »

ok heres my proposition. ive searched for it but i can seem to find what im after if it is out there please point me the right direction.

i have a 1990, 200. will my running gear ( forks, shock, swingarm, engine etc) fit into a 97-ish frame? i want to be able to ride my kdx on the street but it doesnt have vin/ADR plates. i have just rebuilt pretty much the whole bike and want to use all the rebuilt gear into a registerable frame....

if thats confusing sorry but any help would be appreciated.

cheers, michael.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

everything is possible with mods and skills (and money).
However, it's not a straight bolt on and never seen it done. good luck
michael

Post by michael »

"never seen it done" not confidence inspiring.... hahahha

i do realise that it would be possible with enough work, i was hoping not too much, ie; engine mount changes and some bracketry. ill keep looking into it.
any more input would be much appreciated :roll:

Michael.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The engine will go in with new mounts. You'd have to use a 95+ pipe, and it would probably hit the KIPS cover on the RH side, so you'd have to dent the pipe to clear there, no big deal. The forks will go, it will be the opposite of installing KX forks on a KDX. IE: kdx tripes, kx stem. You'd probably need a kx swingarm, shock, and rear wheel as I don't think those KDX bits will swap over.

Have you thought about just finding a kx125 roller and doing a hybrid with your engine?
michael

Post by michael »

kx's are far from registerable/road use-able here....
i need a frame with compliance plates.

So the only thing left of myne to use would be the engine and forks, thats far from what i had/want planned, and most of all not being able to use my fresh rebuilt parts. :sad:

how about 'E' series frames are they all the same? (E2-E5) apart from they went to USD forks.

cheers, Michael.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ah. Well then find a 95+ kdx roller and move your engine over?

Yes, all the e-series frames are the same. 89-94.
michael

Post by michael »

ok pretty sure ive sorted the problem. stumbled across a ADR compliant frame with VIN plates so ill pop all my running gear into that and source some aftermarket indicators etc.

The frame is supposedly a '92. well see when i get a chance to check it out.
Thanks for ya helps ill post back up if it all turns to sh*t or it acctually goes through registration :grin:

Michael.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

cool
heckler

Post by heckler »

I don't see how having a different frame with a VIN can make a bike road legal - don't you need lights, turn signals, road tires etc...?

bizarre. that would never fly in Canada - you'd still be riding a dirt bike on the road.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I think where the author is from actually has some road-legal KDX 200s. It's just that the one he restored is NOT road legal--possibly because the paperwork was lost somewhere along the way. However, if he just finds a titled frame for one of the road legal bikes, he can swap all his restored stuff into the new frame and have a restored road-legal bike.
David Eckel
michael

Post by michael »

dfeckel- Your exactly spot on, there were off-road only models and on/off-road models. As far as i know there was no differences allbiet detuned engine (i would guess being Aust) and lights etc.

so if i can find a compliant frame atleast (which is proving to be difficult) i can get it on the road. and being so damn strict around here, most offroad places require a full rego to ride or run the risk of being royaly pineappled.....

PS, the frame i went to check out was from a '95 model (i think) it had a 'twin spar' type frame to the head stock??? and a few other differences.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Heh--pineappled...
David Eckel