Intro/some questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Kyle651

Intro/some questions

Post by Kyle651 »

Hey guys,
Well, I'm picking up a KDX220 tonight (2001) because I want some variety from the ATVs I normally ride.
Basically the bike has IMS oversize tank, Prolite piston, minor porting, Procircuit reeds, FMF woods (Gnarly) pipe and FMF forestry approved silencer, gripper seat cover, MX rear fender, Protaper handlebars, suspension set up for a rider a bit lighter than me, rear shock revalved by Powerband Racing, skid plate, Barkbusters, radiator guards, pipe protector, new Dunlops. and original plastics/tank.

I am wondering a couple things:
How should I go about changing the suspension set up for someone heavier? Changing from a 185 to a 200 pound rider.
Also, has anyone else converted these to supermoto? I am planning on getting it street legalized and getting some 17" excel rims and lacing them to the stock hubs.
What gearing would you suggest for my street setup if I'd cruise at a speed of around 60mph, mainly 55 mph, 30 mph, and 45 mph roads where I live.

I want to have 2 different wheel setups/sprocket setups, one for trails, one for street.

Also, eventually when I go to do some mods, it seems like the biggest mod to do now would be an RB head mod? Then Carb?

Thanks!
Kyle
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

rb carb and head, yeah. Dunno how that's gonna go with your "minor porting" though. That throws a whole 'nother variable in the mix.

procircuit makes reeds? news to me.

Can't really recommend the KDX for a street machine. Being a small bore 2 stroke, they don't like sustained high RPM runs, nor the decel that follows. I'd say you'd be better off with a big bore 2t or a big 4t if that is your goal for the bike. KDX's belong in the woods.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forums!

J.
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

Yeah, after riding it, it definitely is a woods machine, and a good one at that!
That means I need another new bike :supz: Oh no! Haha

Here are some pics, it has the stock plastic/tank too, but they have FOX stickers all over them.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

You sure it has the woods pipe ??
Wrong choice for that bike
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

NICE!

Juliend.. what if you were ripping wide open on a regular dirt road for say....30 seconds...then let off...is that bad too? What is the "approved" way to let off on one of these after ripping at high RPM's for a bit?

E
06' 200 Bone Stock
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It's true. A woods pipe wrecks a 220's power delivery. It needs a FMF desert or PC.

Bike looks great btw!
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:It's true. A woods pipe wrecks a 220's power delivery. It needs a FMF desert or PC.

Bike looks great btw!
Yeah, I'm planning on getting a new pipe.

What is the "best" pipe.
I am big into quads (blah blah blah I'm a fag apparently haha) and as far as the 2-stroke lt250's and lt500s, there is one pipe that is the best, DrQ pipes, and everyone knows that. I am wondering if there is the same kind of thing for these?

Thanks guys

-kyle

Also, K&N filter yay or nay, for all the atvs I've ever had that was the number 1 filter, and it seems like uni is the top for these? maybe I'm wrong, enlighten me :)
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

By the way, what are the best types of plugs for these?
Any significant differences noticed between brands?

I assume that the NGK BR8ES that the previous owner has in there is okay?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

FMF desert (rev) seems to be the pipe of choice for the 220. Sometimes those Gnarly pipes come marked incorrectly. Inda can tell you at a glance if that's a woods or rev. I can't tell by looking. If you have the woods pipe, you might find a 200 owner who'd want to trade. The pipe looks in good shape in your pictures.

BR8ES is perfect. Nay on the K&N filter. Uni or Twin Air is good.
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

Thanks juliend, but I must ask, why not K&N? I just love the ability to wash them, and how they stay together great unlike the foam filters.

And the 220/200 use the same pipe?
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I am big into quads (blah blah blah I'm a fag apparently haha)
Now that you bought a KDX you're no longer a f@g... more like bi. Just kidding. :mrgreen: Super clean bike, you made a good choice.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

With the IMS radiator shrouds I don't think you can tell at a glance if it's the woods or rev version. The rev nearly touches the stock shroud but I don't know how it looks with the IMS version. May have to look for a number on the pipe.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

>|<>QBB<
Varmint wrote:
I am big into quads (blah blah blah I'm a fag apparently haha)
Now that you bought a KDX you're no longer a f@g... more like bi. Just kidding. :mrgreen: Super clean bike, you made a good choice.

Woot! I'm still a closet atv rider though, haha. Don't quite trust riding a bike in the sand dunes after one of my dad's buddies broke his back and his hip last year in the dunes.

I think it's a woods pipe, seems like it's about 11 inches wide.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

K$N can't handle the dirt. uni or twin. if you know how to clean them using the right product, they last a long time.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Right. The paper K&N filter element doesn't do nearly as good a job at catching dust and dirt as the oiled foam filter will.

Yes, 200/220 use the same pipe. At least, the pipe from one fits the other. Stock pipes are the same for 200/220. With the aftermarket pipes, because of the way they move the power around, work differently for each model.
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Well, if it's the woods pipe - it should have some crazy low down torque.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Jonooffler

Post by Jonooffler »

Well i'm not so sure about that I have a mate who has done 7000 road miles on a KDX220 in two years and it still runs well. I have riden small bore two strokes for years on the road and have covered 1000's of miles and have yet to change a piston.

Can't really recommend the KDX for a street machine. Being a small bore 2 stroke, they don't like sustained high RPM runs, nor the decel that follows. I'd say you'd be better off with a big bore 2t or a big 4t if that is your goal for the bike. KDX's belong in the woods.

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forums!

J.[/quote]
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

True, it can be done. It's just not the ideal machine for road work.
Kyle651

Post by Kyle651 »

Yeah, thanks for all the responses guys.
I think I'll keep it as a trail bike, atleast for now, and pick up a bigger bore 4 stroke, or a cr500 or something for road.
I just love 2-smokers :)

-Kyle
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks like a Rev to me! :hmm:

That IMS tank throws it off....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "