New guy here...need a little help

Got questions? We got answers....
motv8r
Supporting Member

New guy here...need a little help

Post by motv8r »

First, wanted to say this is a great forum. Lots of info and I've enjoyed reading through the various threads.

I'm making the transition from street riding to dirt and am looking for my first bike. Since I am most interested in trail riding I've decided on the KDX from all the people that rave about their bikes and have been looking for a good used bike in my area. They're either beat up pretty good or too far away to justify the drive.

I am decent with tools and could probably work on it, but I'd rather have one that doesn't need any work (other than maintenance) and am willing to pay more for that peace of mind. My question is what would be the most you would pay for a like new 200...and should I get lucky enough to find one, what would you pay for one still on the showroom floor? If it matters, I'm in north TX.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

$1800 would probably be the max I would pay for a used like new bike. Personally... I probably would not pay the premium of a showroom bike. They need quite a bit of maintenance from the start like a major greasing and fork oil change. A used like new bike will usually have some goodies added to them that makes them a better value like a pipe and or nice handguards.

Your making the right choice though... there is no better bike out there than the KDX for value, dependability and upgradability.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If I found a like new 06 I'd probably be willing to pay up to 2500. No way of finding one around here in mint condition for 1800 or less.

For your purposes the $1500 - $2000 range should suit just fine.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I just looked and looked in my area (North Rockies and Northwest) for about 4 months... I ended up buying an 06 with low hours, yet still dinged up, for 2150... more than I wanted to spend, more than I needed to spend.... but hey...I've got a bike! I'll dump a thou into it over the next 2-3 years for sure putting upgrades and such on it.... but shoot...its just money...right?

If you are patient and look hard and are diligent.... I bet 1500 could get you a bike in great shape with lots of aftermarket goodies!!!

I just was done being patient!
06' 200 Bone Stock
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:They need quite a bit of maintenance from the start like a major greasing and fork oil change. A used like new bike will usually have some goodies added ...
Your making the right choice though... there is no better bike out there than the KDX for value, dependability and upgradability.
Thanks for the response! I did not realize there would be that much involved just to get it ready to go. Good to know...

True on the goodies. It seems most, if not all have some degree of extras!
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:If I found a like new 06 I'd probably be willing to pay up to 2500. No way of finding one around here in mint condition for 1800 or less.

For your purposes the $1500 - $2000 range should suit just fine.
Same here. Most of the really nice ones are in the 2600-3000 range around here. I talked to someone earlier with a very nice, low hours bike but he's a little high for me to jump. I'd pull the trigger at 2200 on this one though.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:I just looked and looked in my area (North Rockies and Northwest) for about 4 months... I ended up buying an 06 with low hours, yet still dinged up, for 2150... more than I wanted to spend, more than I needed to spend.... but hey...I've got a bike! I'll dump a thou into it over the next 2-3 years for sure putting upgrades and such on it.... but shoot...its just money...right?

If you are patient and look hard and are diligent.... I bet 1500 could get you a bike in great shape with lots of aftermarket goodies!!!

I just was done being patient!
You are singing my song!!! I've been scouring the interweb for over a month, every day, multiple times a day...looking for THE DEAL. I'm starting to get tired of looking and am ready to find mine and I'd pay a bit more than I should but not much. Hopefully this last conversation I had will materialize into something; then I can post my own pictures and join the fold! :supz:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I paid $3500 in '02 for a new one, just to put things in perspective.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

I would be moving my 15YO up to my 220 and offering this guy $1,900-$2,000 for the bike below if I had the scratch to spare.

http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/forums/vi ... =3&t=41960
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That 04 with KX forks for 1800 looks like the ticket.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I agree with Juliend.... if you were withing many hundreds of miles of that bike... I'd call him and say "1600"... then drive and get it! Sweet.

Just so you know, there is a site that you can find "shippers" on...they are usually horse show people that have room in their trailers...they travel all over... you dang near name your price. The "going rate" is like 1200$ :blink: bu then you say your max is $100 and they usually come back with with, "Ok, we'll bring it to you for $125"....

At least that was my experience with 2 different ones going from Idaho into Montana.... about a 500 mile deal.
06' 200 Bone Stock
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I paid $3500 in '02 for a new one, just to put things in perspective.
WOW, that was a great deal then!!! I think if I paid that now (8 yrs later) I wouldn't be able to come here and brag about the deal I got...

I did fine a new on the floor 2004 KDX 200 they're asking $3,400 for, but it's not very close and by the time I get it home I'd be in for almost $4K!
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

>|<>QBB<

frankenschwinn,
Thanks for the leads! I've actually seen these already. I've called and left messages for the two in Gainsville (same owner)...never would call back, but maybe I'll try again. The '91 is older than I want and I already spoke with the owner of the one for $1,700. He was pretty young and was real wishy washy on what he'd done for maintenance and I got a bad vibe about it. However, I said I would look at it but he never called me back.
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:I agree with Juliend.... if you were withing many hundreds of miles of that bike... I'd call him and say "1600"... then drive and get it! Sweet.

Just so you know, there is a site that you can find "shippers" on...they are usually horse show people that have room in their trailers...they travel all over... you dang near name your price. The "going rate" is like 1200$ :blink: bu then you say your max is $100 and they usually come back with with, "Ok, we'll bring it to you for $125"....

At least that was my experience with 2 different ones going from Idaho into Montana.... about a 500 mile deal.
I also agree with both of you and I may try and reach him again today. He's close enough that it wouldn't be a big deal if it fell apart once I got there. There's another one I'd really like to have but he's a little high on price. Hopefully we'll be able to figure it out. I'll keep you posted! Also, thanks for the tip on shipping...I never would've thought of that!

ETA: what's the website you were referring to?
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

06' 200 Bone Stock
motv8r
Supporting Member

Post by motv8r »

Sapphire, thanks for the link.

Well, I finally talked to the guy with two KDX's for sale. They're both gone. Maybe that's why he never called me back.

The other two I'm not interested for reasons stated above, so I'm down to trying to hammer out a deal on the one I found. If that doesn't work, who knows how long my wait could last...