Best Gas to Oil mixture for 2002 KDX200?

Got questions? We got answers....
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Best Gas to Oil mixture for 2002 KDX200?

Post by terrapinjam99 »

I am new to the KDX world. Just purchased my first - a 2002 KDX200. Can you advise on the best oil to gas ratio to use? The manual says to do 32/1 , is that what all of you think is the best ? Also what brand of 2 cycle oil do you suggest? Regular or Synthetic? . Thanks in advance for any input. I love this bike and look forward to being part of the KDX world!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

40:1 is most common. I run 50:1...

That said... I use AMSOIL Interceptor which is a full synthetic and can be run at that ratio without any negative effects.

You have to keep in mind that your bike has a KIPS power valve system and to keep it working in top shape, you need to run an oil that will not gum up that system or your bike will run like crap and you will be tearing it down just for a cleaning instead of when it will eventually need to topend. A KDX can usually go 5 years or more without needing a topend. If you run crappy oil... you could potentially be tearing it down twice a year.

Use a good synthetic made to keep your power valves clean. Motul makes a good oil as does Amsoil.... do your research.
Last edited by Indawoods on 12:54 pm May 26 2010, edited 4 times in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Welcome! Most will say 40:1 synthetic. My vote goes to AMSoil Interceptor.

Here come the oil war posts!

Search for the jetting guide if the bike is still jetted as stock.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:
BTW... you have a 220

huh?

:hmm:
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Oops.... misread that.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
terrapinjam99
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by terrapinjam99 »

Thank you all for the input. Looks like I should do 40:1 and use a full synthetic.
2002 KDX200, FMF Gnarly Woods Pipe, FMF Power Core II Silencer, Moose bark busters, 3/4" bar riser, odometer removed, IMS Super Stock pegs.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:40:1 is most common. I run 50:1...

That said... I use AMSOIL Interceptor which is a full synthetic and can be run at that ratio without any negative effects.

You have to keep in mind that your bike has a KIPS power valve system and to keep it working in top shape, you need to run an oil that will not gum up that system or your bike will run like crap and you will be tearing it down just for a cleaning instead of when it will eventually need to topend. A KDX can usually go 5 years or more without needing a topend. If you run crappy oil... you could potentially be tearing it down twice a year.

Use a good synthetic made to keep your power valves clean. Motul makes a good oil as does Amsoil.... do your research.
+ 1

Amsoil Interceptor

50:1

I ride the crap out of my bike. Just did a compression test 2 nights ago. 135 PSI. That's on a top end that runs Interceptor. Haven't had the top end off in.....4 years??
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

For those of you that run Intereptor, do you get any complaints from the people that ride behind you? I've read posts where the oil has a bad smell and burns/irritates eyes.

I'm very interested in that because most of my riding is following my kids.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No... never. Although they would probably prefer to smell some Castor... I know I would! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I run Motorex full synthetic at 40:1. Burns super clean, but my jetting is spot on too, that has more to do with it than ratio.
'00 KDX 220R
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Yes, as Nick says, your jetting is more important than your mix ratio. If your 200 still has the stock jetting, it's going to run blubbery, spoogy, nasty rich no matter what you do with the mix (the less oil you use, the richer it runs).
With that being said, I use Silkolene Comp 2T (full synthetic) at 40:1.

And I see your in St. Louey, if you ever get over on the west side of the state, let me know and we'll hit Chadwick for a day. Some good woods riding there.
Link to the use area.. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/marktwa ... /chadwick/
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

Pretty hard to go wrong with using a good quality synthetic at 32 to 40:1 ratios if you ride aggressively IMO. Thinner mixes like 50:1 should be okay for recreational riders that don't see much WOT. Here's an application chart from Maxima that talks about that a little bit.

http://www.maximausa.com/tech-tips/oil-migration.php
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's pretty common sense. If you are a woodsrider in tight narly junk.... 50:1 is sufficient and saves a little money on oil. I rip down the occational fire road but not WOT for extended periods. AMSOIL was first recommended at 100:1 but people could not deal with that mentally so they changed it on the bottle so people could deal with the wording.... just saying a high quality synthetic can do more than what you think.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****