Acerbis PH Evolution hand guard mounts?

Got questions? We got answers....
heckler

Acerbis PH Evolution hand guard mounts?

Post by heckler »

I've got PH Evolution handlebars and mount, and really hate my beat up old hand guards that won't stay in position. They rotate if I lean against a tree, let alone go down. The hand guard mounts aren't tapered, so don't tighten properly, and the end inserts are rusted solid so they barely tighten either.

I'd love to find a handguard that will mount to the handle bar mount bolts. I've seen then, but don't know the brand I'm looking for.

Got any suggestions? The Acerbis catalog doesn't show anything.
heckler

Post by heckler »

oh yeah, i also broke a clutch lever because of it yesterday. :roll:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

cyrca has some that mount to the triples. Very nice.

http://store.cycraracing.com/frmoon.html

or this

http://store.cycraracing.com/somosy.html

You can use the probend guards with those mounts....
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

So, A guy sent me a used, beat up set of some sort of ascerbis... I was going to mount them last night, but I saw...after I cut the ends of the grips off my stock bars, that the bars were not hollow?

Do I have to drill that plug out? It has a hole already...maybe I can just thread that hole???

(didn't mean to hijack...just thought this handguard thread would be a logical place to put my question!) :razz:
06' 200 Bone Stock
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Heckler's question was answered for now.

For Saphire, I guess you could thread that hole. I seem to recall the stock bars had those plugs but I don't know if they are pressed in or what. If pressed in they probably would come loose.

You might take this opportunity to narrow your bars. That will get rid of the plugs and allow for a more traditional mount on the bar ends.
If you decide to cut your bars, move the controls in FIRST, then mark, then remove the controls and cut.
If you don't you might well cut too much and be buying NEW bars.

(Just sharing an experience. I have a set of 28" wide bars that the controls won't fit on hanging on the wall.)
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The stock bars are welded plugged for vibration. You will have to drill and tap it to use them. You can cut down your bars and that is recommended because you don't want to add any width to your bars. About an inch on each end. You may still have to drill if the plug goes beond but I don't think it does from memory.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
heckler

Post by heckler »

thanks Juliend!

that adds a little too much cost to something I'm just going to bash into the ground repeatedly. And thinking about it, I'm not so keen on bashing my triple clamps every time I drop it. I'd rather break a lever or two instead of the fork.

I test fit my wife's Ralleye Pro's, and they seem to fit much better and tighter than the no name green ones I have. I'll go that way.

Thanks again, and no worries about the thread jack! Now I know the stock bars were solid on the ends, and what to do about it. :partyman:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

FYI I'm using moose aluminum guards for mini's w 1 1/8 bars with moose plastic sheilds, on cr high bars cut to 28.5". I hit the ground pretty hard and haven't been able to knock them loose yet. Pretty good for one of the least expensive setups you could run!
heckler

Post by heckler »

I found these Bonz as well - still pretty pricey.

http://bikebonz.com/images/sitebdy/purb ... of_hon.htm