Rear Shock Adjustment Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rear Shock Adjustment Question

Post by Velocity_Stack »

Working with a 99 KDX 200 rear shock.

I see that it has adjustable spring collars that are threaded on the shock body.

I understand the concept of having 2 collars, locking against each other.

Is there a special tool used to rotate these collars?

It looks like someone has used a flat head screwdriver and a hammer in the past, which I tried as well, but I can't get the top collar to budge.

I am looking to soften the suspension.

My logic tells me they are right hand thread if you are looking up from the bottom of the shock. Is this correct?

Any tips or tricks to adjusting these?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Try unloading the rearend first.... if that doesn't work... a spring compressor may be in order.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That adjuster over the spring is not used to "soften" the rear suspension. It's for setting rear sag. The sag needs to be set correctly for your weight, not for feel.
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:That adjuster over the spring is not used to "soften" the rear suspension. It's for setting rear sag. The sag needs to be set correctly for your weight, not for feel.

I could probably use a little more rear sag, this thing has me on my tip toes.
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Try unloading the rearend first.... if that doesn't work... a spring compressor may be in order.
Please define "uloading the rearend".

I take it my theory on right hand threading is correct?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Unload the rearend by raising it in the air with a crate or something under the frame.

Right on the threads... like unscrewing a lid on the jelly.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|<>QBB<
Velocity_Stack wrote:>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:That adjuster over the spring is not used to "soften" the rear suspension. It's for setting rear sag. The sag needs to be set correctly for your weight, not for feel.

I could probably use a little more rear sag, this thing has me on my tip toes.
Sag has nothing to do with height of the bike (really) but how much it sags under your weight. If that's not set properly, the rear end can be impossible to dial in with the clickers.
'00 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The collars are righty-tighty and so on.

There is a special spanner to use on the locking collars. You could even make yourself one. If the shock is on the bike I'm not sure you could get one in there, though.

I usually use a long punch and a hammer to get the top collar loose and then grab the spring and turn it to turn the adjusting collar. An easy way to "unload" the suspension is to turn your gas off and lay the bike down so the back wheel is off the ground.

I have found that I need to make final sag adjustments on the trail - I follow the instructions Inda pointed to and then ride a short loop of trail. I try to feel if my rear end "attitude" is right and stop, lay the bike over, make a small adjustment, try again. I have found that 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn from theoretical will make a world of difference. Its O.K. to do this without tightening the top collar until you're done.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

Finally got them to break loose.

Soaked them with JB 80 and let it sit for 2 days.

Tapped a few more times and I had movement.

Very interesting reading on sag, Indawoods. Learned quite a bit there.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Now, if I can just get the bike over to the farm so I can try this beast out.