Chain questions. I know beat to death

Got questions? We got answers....
mucka

Chain questions. I know beat to death

Post by mucka »

I did a search and am now more confused than ever.

I read that Renthal front 13t seems to be a good choice. Is there different models of this or just the steel.

I ride Nation forest in Ohio. Not single track but not fire roads either. From what I read a 49t rear sprocket would do me OK. I also saw Z-Sprocket as a good brand/model. Is this a brand or a model of sprocket from someone? Are there different models? Where is a good place to buy this from?

Chains- With an oring do I need a new guide? How about the xring? I am not racing or anything but I don't like adjusting the chain. I clean and lube after/before each ride. The rollers seem to stretch alot. Maybe if some has a good roller I would try it.

Where do you folks get your parts? Is it single source or do you have to order these parts from different stores. I went to a couple of web sites and there are some many options I am not sure what direction to go.

Thanks again for your help.

Russ
2006 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just steel on the Renthal....

Z-Sprocket is made by SUNSTAR .... great sprocket! Monkeybutt.com sells them I think.

The chain will rub the block with an O-ring or X-ring chain. A standard good quality chain is fine as long as you keep it lubed and adjusted. A O-ring or X-ring really come into play in wet areas or for those who aren't good at maintenance. A X ring tends to be a little narrower than a O-ring. I run a X-ring right now but when that wears out... I am going back to a standard. A standard chain is much easier to fix in the field.

Check the LINKS page.... It has several good suppliers for parts.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Hey, maybe I'm FOS (happens alot) but I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that the 220 came with an o-ring chain as opposed to the 200 which came with a standard.

Maybe someone who's smarter can confirm/deny.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

220's come with an O-ring chain.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:220's come with an O-ring chain.
Allright. I'm not as dumb as my wife says.

oh, never mind. Now I see at the bottom you have a 200. Missed it before.

Damn, guess she's right afterall. Shh - don't tell her.
Road Dawg
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Road Dawg »

Renthal O-rings Rock !
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
mucka

Post by mucka »

I am reading that these Oring chains will rub on the block. Does this cause damage? I am guessing that the block is the chain guide on the swing arm. If is does rub can a different block be put on the bike?

Thanks for the patience with these questions. I don't mind spending the money on the parts but I want to get quality stuff that will last. I also don't want to introduce problems with a different type of chain. I just want a set up that is good and will last.

Thanks
Russ
2006 KDX 200
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

There seems to be as many opinions on chains and sprockets as "what is the best oil to use"

I've had good experience with the following-
OEM front sprocket, 13T
A good quality O or X-ring chain, 108 link
Sunstar Z-Sprocket rear, 47T

Replace it all at once. Set the tension on the loose side of the spec. Ride for a couple of hours. Reset tension again carefully. Forget about it.

Maybe unconventional, but I don't clean, lube, adjust, look at or worry about chain and sprockets for a long time. I'll get a year to 18 months, and thats 250-300 hours plus an enduro series

One thing that happens with the O or X-ring chains is that the clip on the master link wears down. I've never had one fail but I have seen them worn pretty thin and sharp on the edge
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

+1 on the master link wearing down. I lost mine in the hills of West Virginia this weekend at the Hatfield McCoy Bearwallow trails. Spent four hours trying to get out. Very long story. Left the bike in the woods and hitched a ride with a gang of quads. CARRY A MASTER LINK WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES. I learned the hard way. :oops:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
Varmint wrote:+1 on the master link wearing down. I lost mine in the hills of West Virginia this weekend at the Hatfield McCoy Bearwallow trails. Spent four hours trying to get out. Very long story. Left the bike in the woods and hitched a ride with a gang of quads. CARRY A MASTER LINK WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES. I learned the hard way. :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
mucka wrote:I am reading that these Oring chains will rub on the block. Does this cause damage? I am guessing that the block is the chain guide on the swing arm. If is does rub can a different block be put on the bike?

Thanks for the patience with these questions. I don't mind spending the money on the parts but I want to get quality stuff that will last. I also don't want to introduce problems with a different type of chain. I just want a set up that is good and will last.

Thanks
Russ
You can use washers to shim the factory chain guide out enough for it to clear an o-ring chain.
Or you can up $45 for a Fredette guide.. http://www.frpoffroad.com/productdetail ... ogId=-1039
Clears the o-ring chain and is a heavier duty piece than the stocker.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness