Getting oil to crank bearing - does this work?

Got questions? We got answers....
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Getting oil to crank bearing - does this work?

Post by ihatefalling »

Rode the KDX on a long Dual SPort ride last weekend. Probably 70 or so highway miles.

In that situation I usually cruise around 40-45 mph or so....so I don't push it hard.

I remember reading a post where there was some concern about running at that low RPM for long stretches, maybe the crank bearing doesn't get lot's of oil because there's not that much oil/gas passing through.

Anyways.....while I was grinding away the highway miles, on downhill stretches where I knew momentum would keep the motor turning, every now and then I would hold down the kill button and open up the throttle while leaving it in gear and the motor turning over. My thought was ..... this would dump a load of gas/oil past the bearing without revving the motor real high (uneccessarily).

Wonder if that's a good idea to oil the bearing. Forgive me if that's been talked to death already and I didn't see it....
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

What you have to worry about on the street is a lean-roll stick. IE WOT, then let off gas under load, can stick motor quickly. So after long stretches best habit is to pull clutch while letting off.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Makes sense. The engine wouls be turning at a high rpm and by letting off the gas quickly while the motor is still turning.....no gas/oil is getting in there while it's revving....thanks
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yep