Proper foot position

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Proper foot position

Post by KDXer »

Hi all, I was wondering what the general rule was for where your left foot sit while riding. Heres why I ask, when I ride I tend to stand on the arch of my feet (WRONG I know but I'm still trying to condition myself out of it) and it causes me to accidently upshift when I stand up or move around. I'm wondering what the right technique is ?? I also tend to ride with my foot virtually always under the gear lever until I need to downshift. Wrong again ?? Where is everyone running their gear levers (height wise with the foot peg) ?? Cheers again for everyone help... Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I'd have broken several toes by now here in the rocks riding with my "toes down" as it sounds like your doing. Ride on the balls of your feet. Great ride report by the way! :partyman:

My shift lever and my brake lever are both even with the height of my pegs.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thank you and well thank you...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yup! Balls of feet and then it won't snag a mis-shift. Didn't you say you have long feet anyway? I'm a size 10 and the shift lever could stand to be a tad longer than stock. I run my shift lever so the rubber toe piece is even with the bottom notched out section of the flywheel cover. That detent in the flywheel cover is for the shift lever movement.
Relocating the pegs back a bit wouldn't hurt either but I've not tried to figger that one out yet.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I have no idea what the 'right' way is...but I have the balls of my feet on the pegs usually. For braking I more move my entire leg than try to pivot my foot on the peg.

Don't use the clutch for most shifting, so don't move my left foot that much.

Having your arch on the peg is a real good way to get your foot ripped off!

...the thought of toe-meeting-stump/rock/whatever and getting rammed against the peg with the force of close to 400# of moving 'stuff'...maybe even moving pretty darn fast...kind'a makes me queasy! :sad:

It's happened a time or two. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cheers guys. I hear ya and so do the 6 bones I smashed in my left foot back in 2000, special thanks go to MR 30-40lb ROCK and to tighta$$ me for skimping out with cheap boots. I still have the same riding technique but better boots.... :shock: :roll: I know its only a matter of time before it happens again hence this post...
I guess I don't feel quite so 'planted' standing on the balls of my feet.

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Maybe not so 'planted' but you can move better because your ankle has something to do.

Don't know what kind of boot will save you if you meet Mr. Rock again at speed. Better boots is better than cheapo boots for sure....

File the teeth on your pegs!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I tend to set the shift lever level or just above level with the foot peg. Whatever feels the best and doesn't contribute to missed shifts on the particular bike.

The brake level I set so that I can still pivot my foot and apply it while my a$$ is hanging over the tool kit i.e. similar to how you would be going down a steep downhill. This usually has the brake level a little higher than the right foot peg since I don't have full flexibility in my right foot due to shattering some bones a few years back. When sitting and riding I apply the rear brake with my foot off of the peg.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If it is rocky, balls of your feet on the pegs is a great idea. In open areas, I don't ride with my feet that far backward. One can move their feet from the riding position to the braking and gear shifting locations, then back to normal again. If your calves won't let you stand like that for long, then plop down on the KDX Kouch and sit for a while. If it is too rocky (like in your pics) for much sitting, then just try to build upi your technique and strength over time.

Those are just some suggestions. If you disagree, please don't throw a phone at me. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

LMAO :lol: C'mon he threw it at the 'wall' remember hahahaha. What a great role model and ambassodor !!! :butthead: :roll: I think Cedric the entertainer summed it up pretty well "I think he needs anger management".... :LOL: Ya reckon !!!

OK back to the topic at hand, FILING TEETH... Would that be to sharpen the teeth CC ?? I'm presuming you didn't mean file them smoother, right ??? :grin:

You damn right Ski, size 13-14us. I am going to extend these levers aswell by about an inch and see if it helps (it helped ALOT on my '00 YZ125)

Ski, CC, IC, QC and last but not least Jas, thank you all very much for your methods and ideas they are much appreciated !!!

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I used to ride on the arches on my feet until I read that most pro riders like to ride on the balls of the feet. So I gave it a try and liked thier way much better. I felt more stable on the balls of my feet and it helps utalise your legs as extra suspenssion. It actualy made the ride more comfortable while standing on the bike.

Jon.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

if you know where your feet are on the pegs you arent ridind fast enough. move your feet for the situation dude
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
cmot

Post by cmot »

Exactly, I'm moving 90% of the time depending the trail, But the balls are the basic attack posture. They also let your ankles act as extra suspension.
Whatever works..... :partyman:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

damn skippy ride on brother just keep her off the trees
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F