220 top end rebuild approaching, and i need some advice!

Got questions? We got answers....
Alexander220

220 top end rebuild approaching, and i need some advice!

Post by Alexander220 »

So I'm about to order a Wiseco top end kit from rockymountainatvmc.com. Im getting the standard model for the 220 (69mm) because my bike is completely stock at this point. This will be my first 2stroke top end job performed so im not sure what to expect and ive got a few concerns. I.e, whats up with the KIPS during this process, should i install new reeds while im in there, and are there any pitfalls that i should look out for? Thanks guys
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Some pitfalls are... dropping something in the bottomend and not getting the circlips completely seated. The actuator shaft on the righthand side has to be supported while taking the left hand threaded nut off the actuator to remove the gear. Other than that... it is pretty straight forward. Just pay attention to how things came apart.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Alexander220

Post by Alexander220 »

Thanks, so would this also be an operune time to replace the reeds and/or clean/replace the KIPS valve?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well sure... anytime you have your bike that far down... you always examine the wear components and take the opportunity to clean the KIPS. Rarely will the KIPS need anything but cleaning. I use AMSOIL Interceptor so on my last rebuild, I didn't need to clean anything.

If you have stock reeds... replace them with Boysen Power Reeds or a V-Force reed cage and reeds. Your bike will thank you!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

clean, yes, replace not really unless they are broken or badly damaged.
Reeds: inspect and replace if they are cracked or chipped.
Alexander220

Post by Alexander220 »

Alright cool. One last question. I've got a photo copy of the kdx200 manual for the top end, will that be ok to use with my 220. Oh, and for cleaning the KIPS should I just take out the whole assembly and soak it in gas or something?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

top end are the same.
it's best and just easier to take it apart than soak
Alexander220

Post by Alexander220 »

Thanks guys, hopefully it goes smoothly. I appreciate the help