safe way to carry long guns on a dirtbike?

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

safe way to carry long guns on a dirtbike?

Post by Colorado Mike »

The thread in the survey section about firearms got me thinking again on a desire I have to be able to carry long guns on my KDX when I want to ride out to some hunting areas. I'd be interested to see any mounting methods you folks have seen for one of those hard cases that ATV riders use, adapted to a dirt bike. I'd like to be able to rig it up when needed to hold either a bolt action scoped rifle or a shotgun with a 28"barrel.

When I was a kid a friend of mine had a leather scabbard in a steel mount that ran along the fork tube on his Hodaka. That was in the day of short travel forks though, probably a whole 4" of travel. He carried a Winchester 94 in there to keep the coyotes wary.

Another thought I had at least for the shotgun is to take the barrel off and make a short armored case.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Another thought I had at least for the shotgun is to take the barrel off and make a short armored case.
That's the first thing I thought of before finishing your post. Some sort of bracket bolted to both side panel mounts, in which a hard ATV case could then be attached wouldn't be too bad either....esp with a carbine-type rifle. You could carry a steyr-aug on your back :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Well, I do have an AR with a 14"barrel and a collapsible stock.. :lol: A little light for elk though. It is legal for fall season turkeys if I get a small clip. :supz:
Mike

'04 KDX220
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

You know what I've been thinking a lot about Mike...

I do most my hunting in non-motorized travel areas, but have thought, now that I have a bike, I'll be doing a little more cruising around on this mo-sheen and doing some hunting off it... The first thing that popped into my head was getting a good T/C Contender. The barrels can be had in ANY caliber... I have a buddy with one in 375 JDJ that I packed along on an archery goat hunt...figuring I could be effective with it to 100 yards...

The barrels can be had in flatter shooting outfits too...something like a little 7-08 would be pretty slick and wouldn't kick that bad! Scoped...they are a formidable killer for sure.

I just looked too...and they have a rifle version that breaks in two pretty easy...would make for a very compact outfit to put on the bike or just in/on your pack.
06' 200 Bone Stock
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

If you are not going to be riding like you are in a race (ie; putting along) you could use what is called the "Climber's Carry" when using a 3-pt sling. It gives you quick access and an easy on/off setup. It isn't as secure as a case but, from my own experience, it does work quite well. You can check out how it works at the following link: http://www.spectergear.com/cc.htm
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Nice sling SS109, I think I'll be getting one for the AR anyway. Saphire, a buddy of mine has a Remington bolt action pistol, don't remember the model but it's in 7-08 too. that thing will shoot 1" groups at 100yds. I think the pack idea is probably be the way to go, I just would rather have a way to put the stuff on the bike.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Looks like this is the way I'll go...

Mike

'04 KDX220
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

turned around would give you a nice boost :lol:
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

I like that sling. Wonder if it would work for a chain saw?
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I can tell you that Specter slings are extremely well built. I use the Specter CST for shooting ACTS matches and it has held up great. ACTS requires running and other physically challenging tasks with your rifle.

The rifle I use, with optics and full mag, weighs in at over 11lbs. I would think the sling would handle most smaller (16"-20") chainsaws. Just use the CQB version instead of the CST and I bet you would be good to go.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I used to carry a M1 carbine on a sling across my back when riding my 1985 KDX200 years ago. Easy as could be.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

You know...now that I thought about it a bit...I've seen a scabbard mounted somehow down the forks... let me look...

It probably would have been an XP-100 Mike...if my memory serves me right... neat little pistol!
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I cant find full size of the Deezer...but look closely....
[img]http:530:842]http://www.montanascabbards.com/images/multi1.jpg[/img] check out lower pic...

And here is your Kolpin hard case on a bike...again...could only find thumbnail of it...Well...thats not working... if you google images of "motorcycle scabbard" you will see a DRZ with a scabbard on rear left... and down a ways, a KLR or something with one similar... look like decent setups...
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That's a sweet sling.

I used to hunt turkey's with a .22. 7-08 is a sweet cartridge...As is the plain ole .308/7.62. I think for the purposes of this you should treat yourself to one of the newer AR-based rifles that's chambered for 7.62, and set it up just like your .223. Or a HK .308 carbine. :mrgreen:

I have a sweet custom 7-08 that I used to hunt groundhogs, and deer with (seperate hand-loads of course). For a while I had a TC Contender in the same cal. Those things are sweet, but you think shooting a .44MAG revolver makes you feel manly wait until you light off a HP Rifle round out of a pistol. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Fuzzy.... that 375 JDJ Contender I shot was brutal... I have never been afraid of shooting any gun...but this one made you hold on for dear life and wince as you were pulling the trigger! :lol:
06' 200 Bone Stock
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

DUDE, I can't imagine a MAG round like that in a TC. Madness. I had some handloads that I did up for my 7-08 TC that worked better with the short barrel, light loads, light BT ballistic tips, for groundhogs. Even with those bringing the thing along was like a running joke as to who was going to use it that day. I had an ~250yd kill with that thing once though. It was HARD to concentrate on shooting properly because like you said you knew you were going to hurt up to your collar bone when it lit. Dusk shots were a blast because even with the quicket burning powder that was safe for a long-gun round it still blew a 2' fireball out the muzzle.