Speaking of the KIPS Rattle...

Got questions? We got answers....
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Speaking of the KIPS Rattle...

Post by Sapphire »

So..if I hadn't been on here talking to all you yahoos before I bought this bike, I SURELY would have crapped when I started it and heard that crazy, rattling, squirrel cage sounding Racket coming out of that motor!!!

But...I have already grown to love it...

Can anyone give me a brief description of what the KIPS does? Do the KX's have it also?
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I should be working but . . . so I will give you a quick description so you can search more.

Basically, the KIPS was Kawasaki's proprietary name for a power valve. I have heard other people refer to it as a butterfly valve.
Most modern 2 stoke engines have them.

I will leave it to others to describe how a power valve works . . . From my experience having a working power valve is critical to good riding. If your power valve is not working properly you dont have a lot of torque.
Basically your bike will zing around like a 125 cc motor.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

So it helps to deliver that power over a wider range instead of in a short band??
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

When I first bought my bike the previous owner was running Maxim premix that had every thing kinda gummed up. After the first tank of Amsoil Interceptor the kips got much louder. Kinda had me worried. I guess it cleaned up the kips a bit. I barely even notice it now.
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

I am learning to love the rattle...rattle good.
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I started my bike and left it idling for about 10 minutes (please let me know if this is a bad idea?)...and was across the yard, about 40 yards away digging some holes to put some plants in... I couldn't hear the exhaust...but I could sure hear that KIPS.... It made me smile...

Do the KX's of the KDX vintage do that? I dont remember hearing that? I saw a bike at an even the other day that didn't have any markings... on the side the motor...it said "Kips" but it didn't have a box sticking out like alll the KDX's I've seen? I assumed it was a KX... But like I said...I've never heard a KX rattle like that....???
06' 200 Bone Stock
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That is true. Not all KIPS designes are the same. THe KDX uses a guillotine style valve which most likely benefits the bottom end over the top...as opposed to simpler drum valve setups.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project