1980 400

Got questions? We got answers....
trevor

1980 400

Post by trevor »

Hello all , I am new to this forum and wanted to see if you guys could help . My friend gave me a 1980 kdx 400 , for a project . the bike starts up and runs great . i know it was the first or second year for the wet clutch. I also know the downfall of the main bearing in it . It seems that the clutch is frozen in place, he replaced the bearing . last time it was ridden was in november when he broke the rear right shock . I would like some insight into the clutch, and where i could get the shocks from at a reasonable price . I cant get the thing to move when trying to shift in to first . i let the bike warm up for about 10 minutes and still nothing . I am new to the bike world , but not to wrenching. Any help is greatly welcomed
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pull the clutch.... The plates are probably stuck together. Separate them and soak them in oil overnight. You may have to clean up the steel plates.

You will never know what is wrong until you inspect the clutch.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Make sure you loosen the bolts holding it together evenly. For the shock, you might try searching for vintage MX forums to find sources for the old style shocks. I used to have an '81 KDX175. pretty fun bike, wish I still had it as a loaner. It had the uni-track though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No good. You don't need it, not worth sinking money in. Give me your addy and I'll come take it off your hands!

Kidding obviously, awesome machine and best luck getting her going. Inda's right on your clutch. Probably just stuck from sitting. Remove, soak plates, re-assemble correctly. That should have you working, or you'll find whatever else the problem might be when you have it apart.

For shocks, I dunno. Start searching Ebay.