WAY MORE POWER FOR FREE

Got questions? We got answers....
Jonooffler

WAY MORE POWER FOR FREE

Post by Jonooffler »

Hi all I need your feed back on this one .
Ok I have been running my 2003 KDX220 for about a year and love it I have had loads of off road bikes and road bikes but think this is the best on the dirt so far.
It is stock and I have been saving to change the pipe as a riding mate has done to his and after riding his KDX the change is worth the cost.
I have been running the bike on 40-1 Silkoline Comp 2 Pre mix which is a Synthetic ester based 2-Stroke engine oil. The other day I found a load of Shell two stoke oil Shell SX2 a mineral oil ( very cheap), the first time I mixed up a batch of fuel I was a bit worried that the oil was very light so changed my mix to 32-1 just in case .I have used this oil like this for for a few weeks and have been happy with it .This morning I tock the bike out, still l worried that the oil seemed very light and had been sitting in the tank for a week I added 50 cc of oil to 2.5 liters of pre mix that I had in a can and filled the bike up.
To start with the bike felt a bit missy and I started to think that it was fouling the plug but once it was warm it felt much better . Out on the green lanes I noticed that the motor picked up better and had way more power that it had before.On the road the bike is far better running and the power is much more like the re-piped bike that my mate rides. Has any one ever tried this and found the same thing ?.
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You did not mention if you had tuned your jetting from stock.

Adding more oil to a batch of pre-mix will result in a leaner running bike. If your current jetting is a bit rich for the 40-1 mix, 32 (or less) -1 will lean it out.

My suggestion would be to pick a good quality readily available oil and pick a ratio and stick to it. Jet for best performance from there.

The 220 has a lot of performance improvement available. Correct jetting will do a lot, as I think you discovered by accident.

If you were made of money you could do the pipe, RBD head and carb, and reeds and have an entirely different motor!

Jetting will cost you time and maybe $20 US. Very satisfying.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Jonooffler

Post by Jonooffler »

Hi I have spent a long time playing with the jetting on this bike but never felt the extra kick that I have here. I was always a little worried about running too lean just incase it ran dry and went bang.
The oil that I'm using now is 1/4 of the price of the Silkoline so I might keep using it in the short term.
With 4 kids and a wife finding extra cash to update the bike is a bit hard so the oil trick might be the way in the short term.
Thanks for you input
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That shell oil will likely gum up your power valves pretty quickly, resulting in broken valves, or much time spent servicing the KIPS system in short intervals.

I second the jetting. More oil does make more power in a 2t up to a point though. I think the number was around 28:1 in the only such test I've ever seen. Of course, the bike MUST be jetted when changing oil ratios. If you see a big benefit from adding more oil, I would think the leaner air/fuel mix is working to your benefit.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Ya think more oil on the cylinder might also make worn rings seal better, giving more power?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Indeed it may. Even on good rings, more oil helps create a better seal. Perhaps it would be more noticeable if the rings are worn? I would be surprised if running 20 something to 1 of some cheap convenience store oil would make enough difference in power to notice unless something else is at work here as well.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

More oil will create more power up to the point of overloading the ignition, but like Juliend is saying you might need a dyno to see it. (IE 2hp for about 400rpm in the peak...Gonna be hard to 'feel'). We run 12:1 Methanol:castor in our air cooled karting engines(Mag fired, side discharge plug, motors don't idle or produce any low end, 11000rpm clutch lock-up, 17k peak)...This would be like 6:1 running gasoline.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project