'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:lol:
younggunz

Post by younggunz »

lol just thought, whatif you eat it, land on you gun pouch or holster, and the gun fires off? like even with the safety onn, a gun can still go off if it hits something at a great nough force... just seems a bit dangerous is all. i would just scream on my 2t past the bear/snake/mexican/meth head or whatever insteadof running the risk and shooting myself... and as for being robbed at gunpoint for my bike, this just seems like those guy were in the wrong place at the wrong time, ad they should have keptgoing.
or atleast i would....
93 kdx 200 81 xr500r
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
younggunz wrote:lol just thought, whatif you eat it, land on you gun pouch or holster, and the gun fires off? like even with the safety onn, a gun can still go off if it hits something at a great nough force...
I can tell you have no real experience with firearms. Don't believe the movies or TV media BS as it just isn't true. Modern firearms will NOT discharge even with great force. There are so many passive/active safety features built in to them that it is virtually impossible. The only possibilities are due to poor maintenance or finger f***ing it and both fall under operator negligence.

The famed Colt 1911 style handgun (which I carry a variation of) has a total of three safety mechanisms (two passive, one active), the manual thumb safety, the grip safety, and a firing pin block. All three have to be disengaged to allow the weapon to fire. Glocks, which are very popular with police, have a trigger safety, firing pin safety, and a "drop" safety. All three are of the passive type.

For the record, I have landed on my pouch countless times, some of them hard enough to knock the wind out of me, with my .45 in Condition 1 (that's cocked and locked w/round in chamber for those that don't know!) and not once has it even turned the manual safety off.

Those that have been robbed fall normally in one of two possibilities. One, you see someone down on the trail faking an injury and you stop to help. Two, it happens at your campsite/staging area. I don't worry about the four legged critters but under special circumstances. I'm more concerned with the two legged vermin!

Lastly, let me pose a little scenario for you. You are riding in an area where there isn't a lot of trail traffic and riding by yourself. You go down hard enough that you can't ride/walk. There is no cell service and it is getting dark. What do you do? Well, if you were smart, someone should at least know where you were going to ride and a time that they should expect you to return. OK, you did that. Now, it is just wait for the cavalry! Well, how long is that going to take? Is it night? Are you in a large wilderness, desert, or mountain area? If so, you very realistically could be spending the night out there with no light, no shelter, all banged up, and easy prey for whatever thinks you might taste good.

Now, I don't know about where you live but, around here there are a lot of bad things that can get you. We have javelinas, coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, black bears, gila monsters, 28 varieties of rattlesnake, and the Sonoran coralsnake!

Remember the Boy Scout motto..."Be prepared!" Yeah, I'll keep my firearm (and first aid kit, power bars, emergency blanket, etc.) nice and handy! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I ride like I live... If I have to carry a gun I'm riding somewhere else.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

MM, the robbery scenario can happen to anyone just about anywhere. Crime happens everywhere and knows no boundaries. Otherwise, well, enjoy corn fields and your neighborhood then! LOL! :mrgreen:
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

robberies don't happen in lalaland... :mrgreen:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Lastly, let me pose a little scenario for you. ............. no light, no shelter, all banged up, and easy prey for whatever thinks you might taste good.
So let me get this straight, Your waiting for the calvary in the pitch black beat up enough so you can't ride or walk and you are going to unload on something that walks by? That sounds pretty scary to me. :shock: I seem to remember something about know what your shooting at and what is past it.

I do agree that modern firearms are MUCH safer than the people that have them. Guns don't kill people, People with mustaches kill people.

One more thing, before you turn red and go off on me I was just poking the bear. I'm glad to live in a relatively safe place that the need for protection is not always in the back of your mind but I do understand that there are places that it is. I think that everyone should own a firearm and know how to use it. I tend to think it would cut down a lot on crime if you knew with out a doubt that the person you were about to attack was just as armed as you if not more so. JMO.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/general- ... s-law.html
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Lastly, let me pose a little scenario for you. ............. no light, no shelter, all banged up, and easy prey for whatever thinks you might taste good.
So let me get this straight, Your waiting for the calvary in the pitch black beat up enough so you can't ride or walk and you are going to unload on something that walks by? That sounds pretty scary to me. :shock: I seem to remember something about know what your shooting at and what is past it.
Ha! Too funny! :mrgreen: Nah, I'm not mad at ya! :partyman: Luckily, on most nights, you can see well enough to see more than a few feet in front of you and especially on full moon nights here in the dez. Plus, your ears help as well in identifying what is out there. IMO, anything that isn't carrying a light and willing to identify itself as friendly is considered a threat. As for knowing whats behind your target, I agree. However, at night, in a wilderness area, I doubt there are going to be too many friendlies walking around nearby. It is a calculated risk that each and every person has to make for themselves given the situation. It is always best to err to the side of caution and be ready. That doesn't mean pop rounds at anything that moves or makes a sound. If someone is the type that they are that scared of their own shadow then they shouldn't be carrying a firearm in the first place!
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

not too mention that every hunter is aware of the distress signal, 3 shots in rapid procession

now, i understand when your carrying a revolver and only have 6 shots this may not be the way to go but if your packing a ruger 10-20 with a banana clip then you're all set :)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<[quote="diymirage"]not too mention that every hunter is aware of the distress signal, 3 shots in rapid procession
[quote]

Thats opening day around here!:lol:
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Laugh at me all you want. But tell me this, if you're riding and have your trusty six shooter, or gat or whatever put away safely enough that normal trail bumps don't knock it out onto the trail, how quickly will you be able to draw and fire at these frito banditos that materialize in front of you? Or if a mountain lion, grizzly bear or venomous duck jump you as you're crossing a double, will you be able to squeeze off a few before the poison sets in?

And I'm not pro-gun control... I own several hunting rifles and a couple shotguns. No pistols or assault rifles. My pocket knife is deep in my pocket and I consider it a tool. Nor are my dogs trained to attack anything more sinister than a squeak toy..... It's just that I have never understood the desire to pack heat while going about my every day business.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I won't laugh at you at all MM. I believe you to be serious and sincere in your beliefs and I respect that. However, I do take issue with some of the things you said. So, I'll try to explain my thoughts on your questions.
>|<>QBB<
MadMax wrote:But tell me this, if you're riding and have your trusty six shooter, or gat or whatever put away safely enough that normal trail bumps don't knock it out onto the trail, how quickly will you be able to draw and fire at these frito banditos that materialize in front of you? Or if a mountain lion, grizzly bear or venomous duck jump you as you're crossing a double, will you be able to squeeze off a few before the poison sets in?
Yes, it will be a slower draw that a traditional CCW type carry. However, you don't actually need it while riding. It is for when you are staging, taking a break along the trail, stopping to help someone supposedly injured, or when you are stuck in a scenario similar to the one I posted in my last post. I am almost always in my pack (ie; it is open) when I stop for a break so drawing it in those situations is fairly quick. If something presents itself while riding your best bet is to twist the throttle and haul ass out of there!

>|<>QBB<
MadMax wrote:My pocket knife is deep in my pocket and I consider it a tool.
And a handgun is nothing more than a tool just like a pocket knife or a socket wrench.

>|<>QBB<
MadMax wrote:...or gat or whatever... ...frito banditos that materialize... ...or venomous duck jump you as you're crossing a double...
Wow, the condescending nature of the first quoted parts goes to show that you do not respect my beliefs or those that share them. It is unnecessary and completely rude to talk to someone that way.

>|<>QBB<
MadMax wrote:...It's just that I have never understood the desire to pack heat while going about my every day business.
You say you don't understand it. Honestly, I find it hard for anyone not to understand it. Crime happens everywhere, all times of the day, even within the family. Crime does not discriminate based on race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, country, side of town, etc. Columbine, Virginia Tech, Luby's Cafe, John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, plus...

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... killing_4/
http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=573227
http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/ ... 409648.php
http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 34633.html

....and on, and on, and on!

See, there is a never ending sea of reasons why someone carries. I will not pretend that bad things don't happen to good people and bury my head in the sand. Please, try this one thing to see if it helps you to understand people, like me, that choose to carry 24/7. Go to the following link http://www.nraila.org/armedcitizen/, on the left hand side, down the page just a bit, you will see a search feature. Use the drop down menu to select your home state and hit "search". Now, read all the result of news stories from around the U.S., big cities to small towns, that someone has used a firearm to halt crime. Lastly, before it is considered NRA propaganda, all the stories where originally published by local newspapers from their respective areas.

Finally, I am more than willing to continue with this conversation if you wish. Let's just be respectful of each others views and opinions, OK? Thanks!
'11 GasGas EC250R
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Yikes, the part you quoted as disrespectful wasn't meant that way at all. I was trying to keep it light hearted and hopefully get a laugh, it was in reference to one of the posts in the thread. There isn't a serious bone in my body. Believe that. I addressed this first because this subject stung me the hardest. I apologize for the misunderstanding. - But since I live in lala land, I suppose it's to be expected.

I guess I'm spoiled by living where I do. I'm in a very rural part of Tennessee where I never lock my doors and leave the keys in my vehicle when I park it in front of the local grocery store. I give up a lot in the way of convenience and opportunity but c'est la vie.

I did live in Nashville for a good number of years and a couple of those years was in an unsavory part of town. Even then I didn't carry a weapon.

And perhaps I'm just naive. Again, I'm not anti-gun at all.

NOW I will say this, from my experience, the vast majority of people I've met who have carry permits are also the people who are the most crimson of rednecks or they are just plain scared of everything, or both... Possibly that's related to my locality.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I apologize for taking it wrong. :oops: Just years of reading things similar that are meant to be demeaning and condescending by the anti folks that clouded my take on it.

I know what you are saying about not locking your doors and stuff. The West side of Indianapolis was that way at one time even up to the early 90's. We left car keys in their ignitions and you didn't have to chain anything down. Man, I really miss those days. :sad:
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

to clarify, since it seems there is a lot of misunderstanding: lalaland...that was just in good fun, I am not pro or anti gun in any way and try to understand and respect everyone's point of view. We don't need anything like that where I ride but I could see myself having one in some shady part of the country, bear land etc...
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Now I'm gonna have bad dreams about venomous ducks...thanks, guys.

:)
David Eckel