Yamalube for a few tanks.... then Amsoil?

Got questions? We got answers....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

and octane booster... woot!
mercenary223

Yamalube for a few tanks.... then Amsoil?

Post by mercenary223 »

This is a old topic, but I will add my $.02 I had ran castor for my dune quads and yamalube 2r for my woods bikes for many years and with a lot of different vehicles.at 32:1 with no issues and after I had started hearing all this talk of amsoil I swithced. I will tell you this much. My bikes ran fine with the amsoil interceptor correctly jetted at 50:1 because of the lower flash point and this helps with my type of riding which is 1/2 throttle or less most the time. When I took my bike apart for a rebuild i noticed that the crank bearings had developed some rust on them. This tells me that my bottom end wasnt getting the proper lubrication. The top end looked good but for me I am back to Yamalube and never changing again unless they stop making it. And yes there are other good oils out there and this isnt to bash any oil this is just my personal experience.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Yamalube for a few tanks.... then Amsoil?

Post by Julien D »

So, oil retention, or residual oil in the crankcase, is directly affected by the oil ratio you choose. This is why I do not recommend 50:1 or less regardless of what oil you are using, or your jetting. If you'd been running it at 40:1 or more, I seriously doubt you would have had this problem. Just my 2 cents on top of your 2 cents...
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

You might be right, but in my defense i just did what Amsoil recommended and quite a few other riders had as well .I just have never seen this even with my lt500's running 50:1 with castor 927 and they even sit quite a few months out of the year. Anyway there are 1000's of people who swear by amsoil and im sure it is good for them, but for me I will stick to what has worked for me. Whats funny to me about the yamalube is a article i read about how Chad Reeds team used to run at 20:1 and somehow made more power then a higher ratio. Something to do with less friction i guess but thats good for another topic. Like i said just what i prefer and im not here to bash amsoil my bike never blew up or anything, but rust does lead to a lot of damage.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've been running amsoil for a few years now. 40:1, no problems. And yeah, there's a few studies that show two strokes making more power up to 18:1. The rust thing is strange in any case, 50:1 or not. Had to be moisture in there somehow.....
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Julien D wrote:IThe rust thing is strange in any case

No it isn't. It's a common problem with some synthetic premix oils and has nothing to do with the mix ratio or oil retention.
Ontario, Canada
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'll have to take your word for it. That's not something I've ever seen, aside from engines that have been swamped or sitting for long periods.