Yamalube for a few tanks.... then Amsoil?

Got questions? We got answers....
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Yamalube for a few tanks.... then Amsoil?

Post by Sapphire »

Can I use Yamalube for a quarts worth or so... then switch to Amsoil after I get hold of some?? For sake of all that is good and holy... Getting Amsoil in Billings, MT is like trying to get a legit pic of Sasquatch....

Shouldn't be too nasty a conversion for the motor should it? I can go buy Yamalube right now across the street... but cant get Amsoil for a week! :butthead:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

As long as it's the right Yamalube for 2 stroke dirtbikes...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've been running amsoil for a couple years. Couldn't get any for the last ride because the shop was closed, so I got yamalube at the only other shop between here and the riding spot. Ran fine, smoked and spooged more though. I drained the tank before switching back to Amsoil.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Cool...
I just ordered some amsoil online... cost me $10 for a quart...oh...and $7 for shipping... :oops: There is a dealer here in town that I cant get hold of, but will so that in the future...its not near that bad...

Now I'll go buy a $12 quart of Yamalube so I can ride this week and weekend!!! :evil:
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Buy it by the gallon.... I do.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Run whatever is available

It's just oil :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:Run whatever is available

It's just oil :wink:
Hehehe

What a circus... I go to buy the Yamalube at lunch... and low and behold, there is Amsoil on their shelf! Well, cool... But no... its only Dominator.. so I look and talk to the guys and they tell me how great it is... and I figure...well...its probably going to be better than the Yamalube...so I buy a quart for $14...

Then, as I'm driving back to the office...the amsoil dealer in town calls me...as Id left a message a couple days ago... and tells me he's got interceptor by the quart and gallon! And...he lives about 2 miles from my house! :supz:

So...I'll cancel the Amsoil shipment and take this Dominator back to the Yamaha store... :mrgreen:

Hey...do I need to run special coolant?? A lot of this high end chit says, do not mix with water! What if I'm up in the mountains and end up needing something.... cant I run regular coolant??

Finally...Gear oil... Amsoil or what?
06' 200 Bone Stock
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I run dominator in mine. Runs fine.
Coolant, I get engine ice, can't complain, but I've used the kawi premix stuff before without trouble
Are you seriously asking about engine oil? Cuz if you are...do a search, you'll find a brazillion different thread and opinion...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I use Peak 50/50... never had any problems.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Dominator is fine oil, that's all i use. I also run premixed coolant, 50/50. This way I don't have to keep distilled water on hand. Seems I never have any when I need it.

I run ATF type F in the tranny. You can use that, or 90w gear oil, or 10w 40 motor oil. If you use the motor oil it has to be wet clutch safe though. If it doesn't say it is, don't take the chance. I think you could probably run vegtable oil in there and get away with it for a while.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've never used distilled water

I usually buy a gallon of coolant, poor half in an empty container, fill both with the garden hose
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

"Are you seriously asking about engine oil? Cuz if you are...do a search, you'll find a brazillion different thread and opinion..."

:lol: I did... and nineteen guys said Yamalube was crap and another 19 said it was great... That did NOTHING for my confidence in using it. I know I could have used it, but dang it...these sites are here for a reason...to talk about this stuff... :rolleyes: Over and Over again! :blink:

There will not be a topic brought up in the next year that has not been covered in the past... period. But we'll still start new topics!

Anyhow... I got Interceptor galore now...so all is good in the world!
06' 200 Bone Stock
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

scheckaet was referring to your question on "gear oil" by mentioning engine oil, not your premix. There are as many opinions on what to run in your tranny as there are a-holes on DRN. :)

feel free to send me that amsoil dominator. I won't turn it down.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:There are as many opinions on what to run in your tranny as there are a-holes on DRN. :).
A-hole and DRN is kind of synonymous...
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

Yamalube is ok except for the smoke. I run his in my kids pw50 although the pw isn't excatly high performance.
I used to run the dominator on a tecate4 I owned at 50:1 ran it hard for two seasons and when it was taken apart for a rebuild the nikosil was in great shape looked almost new so slapped a new piston in and good to go.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

two whole seasons ?? :roll:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

My seasons for quads are only summers so total ride time is only about 1 month a year but still I ride them pretty hard at the dunes and for me I have seen a lot worse after two years so for me seemed like good oil. That's the oil the guy used when I bought the quad so I stuck with it and had good results.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Two seasons on the dunes in a quad is probably like 10 in the woods in a KDX :mrgreen: That was a great Kawi 250.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
WNC
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by WNC »

I use Bel-Ray GearSaver 80wt. oil down below
and Bel-Ray HC-1 synthetic with 93 octane w/ 2 ounces per gallon of octane booster in the tank.
And regular ole' antifreeze .
And a few times Ive used creek water, it works real good too.
:lol:
95' KDX200
19" rear wheel/blk Excels
ported/polished head
FMF Gnarly
FMF Power Core 2
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Bel-Ray everything other than waterproof grease makes my bike get sick quick. I will never use that stuff....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****