03 KDX - main swingarm pivot screw head - 18 or 19 mm?

Got questions? We got answers....
heckler

Post by heckler »

strange. My swingarm bolt does not turn one tiny bit. I'll try a longer cheater bar tonight, with some heat on the ends of the bolt.

The nut is off, and the swingarm moves very easily up and down on the bearings which feel pretty good except for a little side to side play.

The good news is that all my dogbone and shock bearings are finally out. Had a perfect sized mandrel machined.
heckler

Post by heckler »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:I also wonder if all else fails you could spread the frame enough to get a sawzall
I think I'd rather drill out the bolt from both ends, but not until my bearings are totally shot. They're still pretty good for now.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

When you move the swingarm up and down, does the bolt move with it or stay stationary?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
heckler

Post by heckler »

Good question. I'll check tonight and apply heat/elephantine force as required.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
heckler wrote:>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:I also wonder if all else fails you could spread the frame enough to get a sawzall
I think I'd rather drill out the bolt from both ends, but not until my bearings are totally shot. They're still pretty good for now.
I'd take a guess that your bearing are pretty much beyond fubar :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

fubar would be an understatement...
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

WTF? You didn't re-use those bearings? what a waste. a bit of elbow grease and brake cleaner, should be able to get their shine back, then sell them to a certain member here :wink: :lol:
heckler

Post by heckler »

yup, that's what my dog bone did.

I'll get a bigger hammer.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:WTF? You didn't re-use those bearings? what a waste. a bit of elbow grease and brake cleaner, should be able to get their shine back, then sell them to a certain member here :wink: :lol:
I shoulda saved them and sent them to slick :mrgreen:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
heckler

Post by heckler »

Wibbens, any idea what the OD on that brass rod is? I need to pick on up on the way home from work.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'll go check...
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
heckler

Post by heckler »

I'm guessing 1/2", but it might need to be 7/16". Pretty sure the bolt is a M12, which would make a 1/2" rod not fit too well.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Looks to be 19mm

the steel one is 7mm and tapers up to 18mm
I used it to drive it the rest of the way

Got a Harbor Freight nearby? That would be your best bet
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I remember it took me a couple days just to source the drift and punch

Wish I'd just drove the extra miles to HF, they usually have these in stock every time I'm over there
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
heckler

Post by heckler »

ahhhh....

a big one to get it loose and then a small one to push it through. Thanks a lot!
heckler

Post by heckler »

I'm in Canada. No such luck as a HF, but I do have an Acklands Grainger next door.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

The bolt has a dimple that the smaller one fits into nicely

You can really wail on it without it fugging up the end of the pivot bolt
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
heckler

Post by heckler »

Success! Thanks for all your help.

The 1/2" drive electric impact loosened the bolt to get it turning. It was not turning with the swing arm, nor with the 30" cheater bar I put on it with all my weight. Once it was spinning, the hammer and punch got it out in 10 minutes. The bolt is pretty rusty. Hmmm... maybe some antiseize? For sure the bolt was corroded into the engine block.

Does anyone want my old bearings? They're still good, but I figure with all this trouble, I might as well replace them. :lol: