X-ring master link removal tips

Got questions? We got answers....
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

X-ring master link removal tips

Post by wanaride »

I've taken the stock chain off lots of times with no problem, but I tried for the first time yesterday to remove my new X-ring chain, and I could not get the master link apart. (I'm trying to remove the swingarm and linkage for greasing.)

Channel Locks and needle-nose pliers didn't do the trick; I can get the clip off but I can't pry apart the link. Does anyone have any tips I can try next?
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I use a flat tip screwdriver to alternately pry at each end of the removablel link plate. Once the link begins to move outward on the pins it moves relatively easy as long as you don't bind it. Don't get crazy with the prying though or you could bend the link plate.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Don't forget to keep an eye on the orings while your prying the master link apart. They have a bad habit of disappearing when the master link comes apart...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: X-ring master link removal tips

Post by skipro3 »

wanaride wrote: (I'm trying to remove the swingarm and linkage for greasing.)
You don't NEED to remove the chain to do this job.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Yes, I realize that, but unless I either (a) disassemble the chain guide, or (2) remove the front sprocket, the swingarm will still be attached to the bike via the chain. And yes, I can still do the job with the chain/swingarm connected to the bike...I just thought I was missing something simple.

And I tried the screwdriver trick, with a Craftsman no less...the tip broke.

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Use Snap-On.... and it won't Snap-Off.... :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I thing Motion Pro and Tusk make tools for doing this, at least for getting it back together. might be worth the money to save some aggrevation.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
cicone

Post by cicone »

I'm definitely in the tapping the little screwdriver with a hammer camp. Gently nudging here and there until it comes off. Much easier to do if you place the masterlink solidly on the rear sprocket---helps hold it still while you're tickling the plate off.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Get a chainbreaker and be done with it!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It's not real good to break the chain every time you need to remove it. They're good for removing links, etc when you first get a chain, but then the master link is the best for removal/re-installation. The master link is the weakest link the in the chain. Any link you touch w/ a chain breaker will become a weak link as well.

I can't say for sure wether it really matters that much on a #520 chain that is used for trail riding. Moto-X...Prolly. My karts w/ 40-50hp through a #35...heck yeah....Until I could find some #35 master links I was throwing chains at the 'break' point quite often(if I broke them after initial installation/stretching)....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I use the chain breaker to push the pins out of the master link
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Ahh.....Yes, very useful tip!!!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Remove the chain guide from the swingarm before you take the swingarm off. Two simple bolts is all there is. That is MUCH easier than removing the master link and besides, it's much easier to service the swing arm with that guide removed anyway.
I am of the camp that you never reuse a master link. Once on, if it needs to come off, replace it with a new one. (Keep the old in case of an emergency)
Man, you guys are making way more work out of taking the swingarm off than is needed. I can remove the swingarm in about 5 minutes this way. Am I the only one who leaves the chain whole when serviceing the swingarm?!
Say it isn't true!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Skipro - I leave the chain whole. I guess if I was going to really clean the bearings out in a solvent wash I would.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Skipro, I am sad to say that if there is a hard way to do something, I'll leap over the easy way to find it! Maybe I should change my user name to "hardway". :rolleyes:

This is all great advice. I'll plan to just remove the chain guide in the future (and now too since I still haven't gotten the chain apart)! The chainbreaker for pin pushing is a great idea too, along with keeping the link on the rear sprocket. Man this site rocks! :supz:

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
John Cena

Post by John Cena »

Why go threw all the trouble of removing the chain link when removing the front sprocket only takes a minute. :rolleyes:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, I remove the front sprocket as well--If I'm greasing. The only time I remove the whole thing is when replacing bearings...