Lower Foot Pegs

Got questions? We got answers....
ejweick

Lower Foot Pegs

Post by ejweick »

I'm 6'2" 270lbs. I want to lower my foot pegs to make it easier to stand up and ride. Has anyone done this mod? Are parts available?
DL1000 V-Strom
CRF450R
KDX200
XR650L
EX500
XR200R
TTR125LE
RM 80
XR70
CRF50
JR50
Ford Expedition
Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

why don't you get a taller seat and bar riser? Never heard of anyone lowering the pegs.
ejweick

Post by ejweick »

I would like to do all the above. I have a set of handlebar risers on order and I'm consulting a local upolstery shop about modifing the seat. I read an article a few years back about bike set-up for the Big & Tall rider. They suggested lowering the pegs to make it easier to stand up and bring the CG down a bit. This may end up a fabrication project but I seem to remember seeing peg lowereing kits somewhere.
DL1000 V-Strom
CRF450R
KDX200
XR650L
EX500
XR200R
TTR125LE
RM 80
XR70
CRF50
JR50
Ford Expedition
Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Not a bad idea, aside from putting your feet closer to the stuff that tends to break bones.
ejweick

Post by ejweick »

I just got a Smokin' deal on some Alpinestar Tech 8's to protect the piggies.
DL1000 V-Strom
CRF450R
KDX200
XR650L
EX500
XR200R
TTR125LE
RM 80
XR70
CRF50
JR50
Ford Expedition
Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Sounds like a dumb idear

I hit my feet enough as it is

But it's not like there's many rocks in SC to break your toes on :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
ejweick

Post by ejweick »

I rode this weekend in All Purpose flour
DL1000 V-Strom
CRF450R
KDX200
XR650L
EX500
XR200R
TTR125LE
RM 80
XR70
CRF50
JR50
Ford Expedition
Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
ejweick wrote:I rode this weekend in All Purpose flour
I lived on lake Marion for awhile, never saw a rock bigger than a golf ball the whole time I lived there
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Doesn't matter how good your boots are, there are a lot of bones in your foot and ankle, and if you get your foot caught between the peg and a rock...... Even if the boot prevents you from breaking those then it snaps your tib. Nice trade off, eh?

I have heard of people doing it, but I think tall bars, bar risers, and a tall seat (you can get it from Ceet) will work fine and be safer.
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

I know they make lowering pegs for the yz they are adjustable and lower the peg about half inch and move your foot back a tad if I remember right. I have thought about doing the same thing except the hitting rocks and trees mentioned by others really could make for a bad riding season.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

it is not a good idea really....the clearance will be reduced and unless you ride in flat terrian...imagine going throught deep rut, rocks and logs...is going to break either ankle or your pegs...

why not another solution is to get slim down on your weight or stiffen the rear shock
A true KDX customizer!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KDXsg wrote:
why not another solution is to get slim down on your weight or stiffen the rear shock
Is that gonna somehow make his legs shorter?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

Buy a 650
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Fastway makes footpegs that you can install in either the regular or low boy position. They are the super wide pegs with allen screws. Anyway, they dont make pegs for KDX but I got some used ones from on guy on this site and originally they were for a KTM but with a little grinding they definately fit on KDX.

They lower the pegs just a little. The tall seat and bar risers help more.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|QBB<[/url]
SteveWR450f wrote:Fastway makes footpegs that you can install in either the regular or low boy position. They are the super wide pegs with allen screws. Anyway, they dont make pegs for KDX but I got some used ones from on guy on this site and originally they were for a KTM but with a little grinding they definately fit on KDX.

They lower the pegs just a little. The tall seat and bar risers help more.
It will move the pegs back a bit. I bought the KX F5's & had to grind the mounts & use the Stock KDX Spring. They work very well.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
tommyd
Supporting Member

Lower Foot Pegs

Post by tommyd »

I was reading this old post while doing a search for something else. It was kinda ironic because I'm sitting here with a broken foot while reading this... and I was wearing Tech 8s:) Wedged my foot between a rock and the peg pivot. Broke it right wher the pinky toe knuckle joins the foot. I was riding my KLR and I don't recommend lowering the pegs. They are low and I find myself riding seated so I can lift a foot whenever necessary. Not good... thinking about selling/trading the KLR.
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lower Foot Pegs

Post by cragwl »

Out here in the great NW we have rocks, boulders, roots and stumps. I and my riding buds are blackening toes on a regular basis. I try to lift my foot off the peg and out of harms way but every once in a while a root snake will jump out and bite my foot. Lowering the pegs sounds like piggy toe suicide to me. IMO
In dog beers, I've only had one.
dnovack

Lower Foot Pegs

Post by dnovack »

im 6'2" as well and weigh 240. i have no prob standing up to ride. i have a 91 kdx200 with stock seat and aftermarket bars no raisers. i broke a bone in my left ankle fron a street bike accident from hitting a deer and i had a broken forearm that needed a plate and screws and the ankle hurt a 100 times worse. id skip the peg idea thats just me. by the way i broke my talus in my left foot. id post a picture but i cant.
91-kdx200
2001-gsxr750 (bored and stroked)
2001-jeep wj