One more call for help...

Got questions? We got answers....
bmann

One more call for help...

Post by bmann »

So got the bike done for the gf to go riding today with the great replies I got from this site (bike was a total rebuild). The good news: bike feels very strong, shifts well, suspension feels good back and front, newly built rear wheel had no worries, and she had a great time :supz: Bad news: tranny oil leaking from bottom drain bolt (got new washer when reinstalled), tranny oil seeping from lower clutch and case cover (this is frustrating, new gasket kit and all bolts torqued correctly), Carb dripping gas from overflow tube constantly. Would you guys add an instant gasket to the original on the clutch and case covers? I Dont know what to do about the carb, any and all ideas are great. Bike is an 1989 e series.

Ps - road mine with the 2002 kx500 front end today for the first time - wow is all I can say - If your sitting on the fence about this dont, so worth it.

Thanks
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

If the needle and seat are good on the carb (ie; new), then try adjusting the float by raising it just a bit.

Tranny drain bolt. Are the threads good on the bolt? The threads in the hole?

Lower clutch and case cover gaskets. Were the surfaces cleaned properly before reassembling? No gouges in mating surfaces from trying to remove old gasket material?
Last edited by SS109 on 12:49 am May 10 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bmann

Post by bmann »

Shoot forgot to mention it does not leak until warmed up.
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

When you say total rebuild was the whole engine taken apart and put back together with quality gaskets (oem gaskets) I've had bad experiences with aftermarket clutch cover gaskets .

I hate drain plugs so easy to strip threads on both bolts and. Case. I hope it is just the bolt and washer for you.

I noticed on my 91 kdx200 if the petcock os not set right between the reserve andon position it will leak fuel I'm guessing its a float issue but I can wait till after the summer season of riding before I fix not too big of deal too me and with all the praise people are giving the rb carb mod ill prob just send mine in this next winter when the trails are closed.

Also when you did the kx500 swap what was the improvements you noticed and how easy was the swap. I am 6'3 225 pounds and love the bike so far except my weight and center of gravity tax the suspension is this something the stock setup can be adjusted to or do you think the swap is a must
bmann

Post by bmann »

for the gaskets used the Athena kit. When I did my swap I got the fork, wheel and brake. Total time was about an hour and as easy as pie. The bonus is on a couple levels: modern day more evolved dampening properties with adjustablity, much much stiffer and planted front end and if you get the whole setup, I find a much better feeling front brake. Key is too make sure it is valved and sprung correctly for your style and weight. Also it will raise your front end quite a bit which at 6'3 would be good for you. Best mod you can do by far. Power is great, but doesnt mean anything if your suspension and tires are not sorted.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
bmann wrote:Also it will raise your front end quite a bit which at 6'3 would be good for you.
You need to raise the fork in the triple clamp, or you'll have an very un- balanced bike ...
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

Thanks I didn't realize the swap was that easy to accomplish. When it raised the front is there enough play in the rear to keep the bike level.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

There is no real way to raise the rear end, unless you mod the shock and link
It's much easier to just raise the fork in the triple clamp then you're not gonna screw up your sag and the whole geometry of the bike.
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

Oh ok just llevel the bike through bringing the fork tubes higher up through the clamps thanks