My KDX Arrived!

Got questions? We got answers....
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

My KDX Arrived!

Post by Sapphire »

SO the full story, as the bike was being unloaded...was that it was bought off the showroom floor in 08.... the dudes' buddy talked him into getting a dirt bike... he got it... he ran around some hills and trails and piled it up a couple times, puncturing his Spleen the last time! :mrgreen: and decided this bike chit was not for him!

Then these folks bought it for the wife to ride...and she did not like it... too tall...too heavy... so now I have it! HEre it is!

So they unloaded it and he kicked it once and it fired up... no probs... I gave it the once over and said...here's your money... Thank You!

After that, of course...after they left... I finally noticed the damage that this spleen bursting crash did to the bike! :twisted:
This looks to be a fairly easy fix...little twisting back there and she'll be nice and straight! :supz:

THis...on the other hand...will take a little more, but it also appears to be nothing serious... The right bolt, on the bar clamps...where it goes through the ??? dont know the terminology here.... top of the forks?? Is bent...so the bars are at a slight angle...
"SLight" is a relative term...remember that!!! :mrgreen:

After they left I started her up, let her warm for a minute then ran her a round a bit... within seconds, after reading so much about jetting and such over the last few months... I KNEW this carb needed jetting... and maybe some more air?? Hopefully you guys can steer me the right direction! Where are the good, "jetting" threads?? Here is a pic of the "Spooge" its leaving all over everything!!

THanks!!...and oh...are there some good aftermarket options for them bar clamps??

Ernie
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

For the bars something like this might be good.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pro-Taper-ProTaper-H ... 335c9bc534

I got the same thing 3 years ago but there were alot more choices for bar bends then. The bar clamp bolt suck though, I broke one on my first fall.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

DOn't swaet any of that stuff bro. Nice looking bike!

Rear fender....yeah, just take the plastics off and bend it back into shape. By hand, crowbar or rubber mallet.

Handlebars....the mounts have just been tweaked. Loosen up the clamps that hold the bar to the triple tree. There are rubber dampers in there. Just about any time you drop that bike the rubber dampers are going to tweak. Usually you can just force them back by hand by twisting the bars. Anyways....just remove the clamps that hold on the bars, remove the rubber dampers, put them back in straigt, reassemble the bras and you should be good to go.

Worse case scenario you need new rubber dampers....but the bike being that new.....I doubt it.

Spooge on rear brake caliper.....either it's coming from the end of the muffler or....it could be coming from there the muffler joins the expansion chamber. Maybe some is blowing by?? All 2 strokes spooge a little. Key is, don't let it sit on there for too long or it'll stain.
Last edited by ihatefalling on 08:10 am May 09 2010, edited 1 time in total.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
roadkillrobert

Post by roadkillrobert »

Is the bolt really bent that mounts to the top triple clamp - those are nearly impossible to bend, but they are rubber mounted, so it is pretty easy to twist them in the rubber mounts, just loosening the handlebars from the clamps will let them twist back into place and straighten them out! If it really is bent, that takes talent!
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

OK..yeah... I think you guys are right about the mounting bolt! Very unlikely its bent isn't it... Good.

Yeah...there IS spooge coming out the joint between the pipe and the silencer... What can I do about that?

Cant WAIT to get this thing out in the hills!!!!!
06' 200 Bone Stock
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

To straighten subframes, I like to use a floor Jack handle and a rubber mallet.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

So that part that runs back and supports the fender is the "sub frame"... ok... I will slowly get all the parts terminology down!

For the record... I now understand what the "KIPS rattle" is... Holy moses... that thing makes some noise! But I like it! :lol:

Where is the best jetting thread??? I bet there are 100 or more, but I dont see one "STickied"...?
06' 200 Bone Stock
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

check jets and needle section, there 's how to jet from inda
Bar tweaked, it's just the rubber mount that is tweaked, loosen, straighten and torque, u good 2 go.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Nice bike!
'00 KDX 220R
Wikkedgt

Post by Wikkedgt »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:OK..yeah... I think you guys are right about the mounting bolt! Very unlikely its bent isn't it... Good.

Yeah...there IS spooge coming out the joint between the pipe and the silencer... What can I do about that?

Cant WAIT to get this thing out in the hills!!!!!
Hi temp silicone. Take the silencer off and clean up the spooge off the pipe, silencer and rubber. Apply the silicone and put it back together.
raisedinal

Post by raisedinal »

A zip tye on both sides of the rubber gasket at the joint ended the spooge on mine
2002 KDX220, Wiseco piston, RB Head and Carb, FMF Rev, 0.41 fork springs in stock forks.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I have a clutch question...

When not running, in gear, if I pull the clutch all the way in... the gears do NOT disengage... bike will not roll. I can kick if over and start it, but you can feel its in gear for sure... Neutral is easier...

Now...I can stop the bike, while running, in gear no prob... but can feel it wanting to go forward... AND... what seems the wierdest to me... is that you dont "GO" till the clutch is nearly all the way let out?

I'd think, since I have to have it all the way out to engage and go...that when I had it ALL THE WAY in.... it would be full disengaged???

What up, what am I missing???

Thanks! :prayer:
06' 200 Bone Stock
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the clutch drags, that's normal. Mine did that when it was brand new.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I'm not smart enough to figure that out. Maybe it's the oil in the engine? A lot of guys actually run auto trans fluid in thier gearboxes. Maybe that'll help the gears let go??
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

OK...Good...

So, I need gas today... ALL the motorcycle stores in Billings are closed on Mondays! :butthead: There is a Yamaha boat motor dealer that IS open... They sell "Yamalube" but its "outboard motor" flavor... SHould I wait till tommorrow and grab some "Yamalube" from the bike store or can I pick up this outboard motor stuff????

What about snowmobile premix? how can this stuff be that different???

Thanks!
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wait....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

:cry:
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Do I need to do something with the airbox/snorkel 1st and foremost?
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Clean and oil the filter... removel the snorkel if it still exists.... it will let it breathe a bit better.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

If you change to the late 90's Honda CR style clutch perch and lever (I use a 99) you won't have issues with a dragging clutch. I do that on all my green bikes.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch