Alright... which Octane Gas and what Premix?

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

don't think it's an octane issue more likely a jetting issue...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The difference in elevation is jetting, not octane. If your jetting is good at 6,000', then it's crap at sea level. Octane has nothing to do with it, except your bike might for some reason be more tolerant of the completely wrong jetting when using a higher octane fuel.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Run whatever makes you happy

I've tried regular, bike ran like ****

I'll stick with super
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

Check this out. I got it from a car forum.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachm ... wykp0q.gif
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I dont really care what octane or oil I use... I am probably going to burn like 50 gallons of gas a year max.... when it comes down to $$ its going to be negligible... I'd just like to make sure its the good stuff!!

I guess I dont understand the octane thing either? Why does my truck get better mileage with 91 vs 86? What does the octane do to make it happier? I have no prob putting 87 in my bike if that is what it likes...

I am just waiting for the seller to calll... the dang 2150 is sitting iin my truck and ready to hand over!!!! Cmon phone...ring! :partyman:

Thanks all!
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

So...that graph seems to be saying...that at Sea level..it takes lower octane to make motors happy? Am I wrong? Actually..looking at it...it doesn't really say Chit...It shows 88 for Prem at 5500 and 91 at zero... but ???? What does it mean?
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

>|QBB<[/url]
Sapphire wrote:So...that graph seems to be saying...that at Sea level..it takes lower octane to make motors happy? Am I wrong? Actually..looking at it...it doesn't really say Chit...It shows 88 for Prem at 5500 and 91 at zero... but ???? What does it mean?

If the octane is lower at higher elevation then it's better for high compression motors?
CURRENT FLEET
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

All I know is I get 2 more mpg in my car from higher octane and it runs better so why wouldn't a single cylinder benefit that much more. Higher octane is cleaner fuel as well.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My Vstrom gets less mpg with Super, but seems to run much smoother with Super

My DR650 ran better with Super
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I dunno? I've never seen such a thing. I imagine that the difference in atmospheric pressure might affect the fuels stability. So at higher elevations the fuel is slightly less stable. Means practically nothing for real world application.

See my previous post, and don't try to over-complicate the issue. Higher octane fuels are needed in higher compression engines to prevent detonation, nothing more, nothing less. If your engine runs better on a higher octane fuel, it is either because the engines compression ratio requires it, or because you simply FEEL like it runs better with 92.

As for getting better mileage with a higher octane? Highly unlikely.
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

I'm only at about 1000 feet and if your gas works for you great I just know that premix does lower the octane level and with a single cylinder if I break it cause of bad gas and I'm 20 miles from the road I would be in a bad mood.

And as far as octane numbers they are there to show the fuels ability to prevent anti knock. The higher the octane number the better the fuels ability to control flame progression. The octane number is dependant on the premix ratio. For every 5 percent premix it takes off 1 octane number so not huge and unless we've had the head mod we prob won't have any issues but like I said I play it safe.

Also fuel loses its octane rating once it is over a week old and is reccomended to be used within a month especially premix due to the fact it brakes most oils down some more then others. As far as using regular gas in newer cars the reason it works is because of the computer and fuel injection sytem work in conjunction to keep the cars timing and fuel air ratio in perfect sync for the vehicles performance. I just. Notice better performance from the higher octane.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I notice a slight decrease in performance at 87 octane.... at 89 octane and above I notice no difference in performance. I have never been let down on the KDX due to gas.... I have ran year old gas before and it has worked fine... not preferred, just what I happened to have.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|QBB<[/url]
Sapphire wrote:So...that graph seems to be saying...that at Sea level..it takes lower octane to make motors happy? Am I wrong? Actually..looking at it...it doesn't really say Chit...It shows 88 for Prem at 5500 and 91 at zero... but ???? What does it mean?
What does it mean? IMO it means that as elevation goes up your octane rating for a given fuel goes down. Not a big deal unless you are jetted perfect for sea level. Prper jetting should have you close to the threshold of detonation (ie; pre-ignition) without actually crossing over into it.

Now, take a trip and ride in the mountains at 5500ft with all else being equal. With that same fuel you might encounter detonation, and the damage that results from it, due to the octane rating not being sufficient enough to control pre-ignition. You would need to step up at least one grade, possibly two, on your fuel's octane rating to keep your engine safe.

Well, at least that is how I read it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

What about the fact that there's less oxygen at altitude?
How does that figure?
CURRENT FLEET
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

With our bikes stock and only 7:5:1 compression I don't think you'll get much detonation with regular unleaded but Ilike I said I personally have seen and felt the difference. So. For 2 extra dollars every 10 gallons of gas ill get the premium and not have to think about it.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I think I got that messed up just a bit. Eh, I'm so confused! LOL! :rolleyes:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

With our bikes stock and only 7:5:1 compression I don't think you'll get much detonation with regular unleaded but Ilike I said I personally have seen and felt the difference. So. For 2 extra dollars every 10 gallons of gas ill get the premium and not have to think about it.
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

We know one thing... the KDX is not finicky about gas. One more reason to love her.
CURRENT FLEET
joshharris918

Post by joshharris918 »

i use premium gas with motul 800 at 40:1. i also add a small bottle of octane booster to 5 gallons and it runs great i can deffinitly tell the difference.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
joshharris918 wrote:i use premium gas with motul 800 at 40:1. i also add a small bottle of octane booster to 5 gallons and it runs great i can deffinitly tell the difference.
try Toulene, its much cheeper
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))