KIPs rattle

Got questions? We got answers....
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KIPs rattle

Post by Jupiter2 »

I know this topic has been discussed to death but I'm going to do it anyway...

I know the KIPS rattle, and I know some rattle more than others, but is there a point where the KIPS rattle to much? I've watched several KDX videos and it's obvious that some KIPS are much louder than others.

Is the louder the KIPS rattle an indication of something? Worn out parts, gummed up, etc.

I finally got a chance to ride this weekend. Although the bike ran well I noticed that the KIPS sounded quite a bit louder than most I've heard in the videos. I know it's hard to tell from a video but unfortunately I'm the only one I ride with that has a KDX for comparison purposes.

Is it possible my KIPS will quiet down after I redo the top end and clean everything? Would they quiet down if they were replaced with new?

Again sorry for rehashing the saga of the rattling KIPS. I've read several threads and forums and never seem to fully understand.
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

there's really nothing to understand, the kips makes noise from the factory. Replacing the kips even with brand new parts won't change that.
However I haven't heard your bike, maybe it is louder than most bikes. I believe you're just freaking out more than needed though. The best way to settle this is do a complete top end tear down (pretty easy and cheap), clean, inspect everything to see any worn out /broken part, rebuild and go ride.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Keep this in mind... when you clean gum and carbon off the KIPS it increases clearance and will make a KIPS more noisy.

There is a big flap that moves back and forth when the KIPS is working... that flap viborating against othe metal in the front of the cylinder is what you are hearing. If you don't hear it at all... it is not working properly. Every time I have tore my bike down there is zero wear on these components.

After years of riding KDX's.... I have gotten used to it but I can see how a newbie would raise a concern.

Basically.... it's normal.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

So a loud KIPS it better than no KIPS. Good enough. Just something I'll get used to. I'm sure this won't be the last newbie question i ask. lol

Thanks again. And like you've said be for inda, just ride it...
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
heckler

Post by heckler »

sounds like mine is working fine then! It sure is loud, and doesn't sound "right" to a newb.
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

I recently did an overbore on my CR to a 265. I had to grind down the face of the butterfly valves ( power valves) because they stuck out into the cylinder wall. I removed all of the carbon build up from them in the process. After the first ride, I thought it was going to blow up. Loud rattle at high RPM. It is just those valves rattling. They have more clearance to move now. If it was something serious, it would have dynamited a long time ago......... Ride on!
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

If the KIPS noise bothers you I've learned the solution is to open the throttle all the way. Then you don't have time to think about it. :lol:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
CastyMctangles

Re: KIPs rattle

Post by CastyMctangles »

I just bought a KDX. My last dirt bike I owned was a four stroke (about 30 years ago). I always wanted a KDX and I thought the KIPS rattle was awefully loud on mine as well so this thread is pretty reassuring for me too. Thanks