06 Stock 200.... or 01 220

Got questions? We got answers....
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

06 Stock 200.... or 01 220

Post by Sapphire »

OK, 06' bone stock, near MINT 200 for $2200 (they have only had the bike for a few months and actually have more into it than that....

OR... 01' with FMF system, 220 with shop rebuild, Fairly Clean... $1500.

Is the near new bike worth $700? Is there any reason to spend the extra and get a bike that clean and new, or just wait and get something in the 1200 range and put money into it.....

I know, I know, I'm being a pain in the ass, but you guys are the KDXperts and I value your opinions...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

yep you'ere a pain in the ass :lol:

Depends on what you wanna do with the bike, how much wrenching, how much experience you have riding a bike, how much ridding your really wanna do? do you want a trailer beauty queen of a bike or a DIRT bike? are you anal about having plastic and decals not scratched...

I'd get the 01 if it's in good condition (even though it's a 220 and I prefer a 200). Bearings, and eventually new plastic won't cost you 700 bux more like 200. That leave a few bux to get RB'd on the head, carb, do the KX fork swap...DONE.
I'd check the "shop rebuild", what happened? grenade piston? How reputable is the shop? Make sure they replaced the piston with a wiseco.
Even if it's "shop rebuild", I'd pull the clutch cover and REPLACE the kips actuator, they're only 5 bux to replace cuz you never know if the doofus / wrench monkey that calls himself a mechanics really supported the shaft when they worked on it.
My .02
wilf

Got any pics of the bikes?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd take the 200, just because it's a 200.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I know you guys cant stand this, but I'm also looking at a super clean DRZ all dirt kicker for $1800...so it fits in the works too...

I have tried several times to call the shop that did the rebuild on the 220... the kid said the piston blew up..the shop went through it all, had the head machined? and put in a wiseco... I do have pics..I think I posted them two weeks ago! :oops: Here's the 01' 220

and here is the 06' 200...

If that rebuild was good on the 220... heck...I could spend $500 on accessories and still be under the 06' 200 price...

I DO NOT care about a bike being fancy looking, I want it to be functional. However, Im' not sure I want to go back into the early 90's bikes...just seems to me, that for the most part, the newer the less problems likely?? Less people had a chance to thrash them.... I know there are exceptions to the rule!!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

If it was a Kawy shop, they probably put the stock piston in and you could have it blow again.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Right. You need to make sure the cases were split as well, otherwise those crank bearings will be going out sooner than later. Little bits of piston and crank bearings do not marry well.

Did the cylinder get sleeved? (bad)
Did the cylinder get a re-plate? (good!)
Did the new piston go into a scored up cylinder (also bad)

Hmmmm. Lots of questions. I'd want to see the shop bill on the rebuild, and talk to the mechanic who did the work.

"head machined" could be translated to something like "someone who has no idea wtf they were doing tried to hone the scratches out of the cylinder." It's just hard to say.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What is up with the date on the picture of the 200? Either the guy didn't set the date on his camera or that picture was taken right after he bought it.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I'll check about the rebuild... Yeah...if that case wasn't split and cleaned out, I dont want anything to do with it...

As for the pic date...the gal who owns it said she took the pics just the other night when she sent them to me...so... I am thinking the date is wrong...
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Here's what a previous response said, "Well the bore size is 1.00 mm over stock 70mm oversized wiseco piston, they didn't have to do anything to the bottom end, the piston was a hundred and twenty and Jones charged me two fifty to refinish the cylinder and to put it back together so total was $390with gaskets . You could rebuild it for under a hundred. There's about fifteen hours on it since the rebulid. I have greased the bearings a multiple times when I have it taken apart."
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

So I talked to Jones Motorsports mechanic, who had detailed records of what they did... apparently, the kid brought the bike in with the motor disassembled and asked them to fix it. They sent the head away to be "re-nickosealed" forgive my spelling if that is wrong... and they assembled the top end with a new wiseco...

He said they DID NOT split the case and look for shrapnel. I asked the mechanic if he would be concerned about that and he said "yes, i would"..

I dont know... I assume the kid wasn't having the head machined and renickosealed if the piston did not blow up. and, if the piston DID blow up, there would almost certainly be shrapnel down in the case somewhere...right?

not good... :mad:
06' 200 Bone Stock
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Sending the HEAD to be plated??? WTF???
Either he meant "cylinder" or that mechanic is another weirdo that should find another job...
Or he meant MACHINED the head, in that case I would suspect a blow piston that damaged the head...
I wouldn't get that bike unless you wanna split the case and wrench on it before you ride it.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

He may have said cylinder...I thought the cylinder was IN the head! (thats how mechanically illiterate I am...

Nah...I'll keep looking. Now I just have to keep my money in my pocket and not buy the DRZ that is sitting there ready to go!!! We'll see...
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

I'd go with mint.
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

This is what he told me in response to asking about the case...

"The case was not split but I personally cleaned it out by blowing it out with an air compressor up side down and Jones looked at it also "

Possible to be sure its all out that way???
06' 200 Bone Stock
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:This is what he told me in response to asking about the case...

"The case was not split but I personally cleaned it out by blowing it out with an air compressor up side down and Jones looked at it also "

Possible to be sure its all out that way???
I wouldn't think so. I would go with the 200.
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3
kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

Offer $1900 for the 200. Honestly I would never spend over $1600 on a KDX no matter how new or clean it was. I would stay away from the 220 just becuase of not knowing what damage was done when the piston let loose. The funny thing about mechanical things is that you are always taking a gamble. We have all seen the ragged out bike that has never been taken care of last for ever and the well maintained super clean bike grenade a tranny. You just never know, but the odds are against you with a bike that already blew a piston.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

They lowered the 06 from 2600 to 22 and they are tight there... she said they ahve more than that into it and they just got it at the end of last summer.... oops.

More willl come up....
06' 200 Bone Stock
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

$2100 cash is more than fair.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Unfortunately for the seller, what you "have in it" does not relate to what you'll get out of it.

KBB RETAIL for that 06 is 2095. 2200 would be a fair price for you if you really want the last year 200 ever. There will never be a newer KDX than that.

When you say they bought it a couple months ago, was it NEW when they bought it? Or they are the second owner? What does the ODO say?

If I had the money, I'd probably buy it. The price is still too high though.