14000 km`s on kdx

Got questions? We got answers....
cabby

14000 km`s on kdx

Post by cabby »

Hi from downunder (Melbourne,Aus)I`m looking at buying a 1990 KDX200 for $1000 pretty much stock in reasonable condition.
The only thing that concerns me is it has done 14000 kms (~8000 miles I think) .
After those sort of miles even under the best conditions would the electrosil cylinder plating be in need of renewing?
Justtrying to decide if I should go for a newer model withless kms?
Cheers
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

it's hard to say. If the top end was properly maintained it could be fine. If not, it could need re-plating. Not sure what your options are there in AU, but over here we can get a re-plate for about $175 US.
cabby

Post by cabby »

Replate about $400-500 here! I guess the only way to tell is after a strip down, wonder if the owner would mind me doing that when I go to inspect it :grin:
Does 8000 km`s on this type of bike seem excessive?
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

8000 miles on a dirt bike is a lot. Likely time for a complete rebuild including transmission bearings and seals which will likely be worn. Clutch basket and disc, brake rotors, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings, carb slide, etc. wear in pegs pivot points, cables, clutch acutator, etc. It is certainly possible that most of these items have been replaced at least once over the years and that is why the bike is in "reasonable condition". :?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've had my bike for 7 years

If I rode it only 100 miles a month it would have over 8,000 miles

The original odo had 4,400 on it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
cabby

Post by cabby »

Thanks for the replies, I have done a little more research on the bike and have found it is an SR model, which after reading up about I don`t really want.
I used to have a 1994 Kdx200 with an fmf pipe and I think I would be a little disapointed in the performance especially with a smaller carb and original pipe (which sounds like a pain to chance over on the SR model).
I`ll keep looking and see if I can get a newer model, I`m not in a great hurry at this stage.