poo pooing the KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

poo pooing the KDX

Post by frankenschwinn »

Most of the people I ride with have the newest technology and tend to look down their noses at the KDX.

nothing overt. They don't say it is a piece of junk or anything but just kind of dismiss it. They forget that they are having to adjust their valves every 5th ride and spend 4 times as much time and money as I do working on their rigs. Not to mention that they all have at least three times the money tied up in the purchase price of their bikes. Not one of them can run off and leave me because of their bikes and only a couple can do that anyway.

personally I find it amusing. Is this the same experience that others on here are having?
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

it is happening here in singapore. firstly we only got the E series here and thats were all old technology compare to bike like ktm and wr. I tend to find that those who prefer to ride a kdx are those that are more practical person. they are not the fancy type. that speak of the bike and owner of the same character and personality. the bike tells your personality actually. wheather you are riding a ktm, kdx or wr.
A true KDX customizer!!
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

i do share your thoughts.
A true KDX customizer!!
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

Yeah, I had a guy tell me "nice budget bike".

I spanked him and his 10k bike like a red headed step-child. :butthead: In the Desert! :kick:

So much for "budget bike". :mrgreen:

The KDX is an enigma of sorts and I love it! :lol:

As my dad used to say... If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :prayer:
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Time and time and time again!

One time I was riding at South Fork in Taylorville Il. and a A hare Scramble guy was riding the track and I was banging around in the woods and he come up to me and we started talking. He told me how he used to ride KDX's until the new KTM's hit the states and how he switched over. He told me about all the parts upgrades etc that he has done to his bikes and we are talking 5 digit numbers he has invested in his bike. I told him about the upgrades I have done and how they didn't even add up to half of what his bike was stock.

Well...he wanted me to follow him on the Hare Scramble track since his buddy got a flat and had to go back to camp. He warned me that he will be riding at race pace. I always like a challenge so I said let's do it. He never spanked me and was always within 10 bike lengths from me and many times much closer. When the ride ended, he came up and shook my hand and said.... I should have never gotten rid of my KDX! :lol:
Last edited by Indawoods on 09:11 pm Apr 27 2010, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

My friend accuses me of wanting to have an older bike just to be able to say I can kick their asses on an old bike.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Same stuff here. Started riding with more and more guys on KTMs. They would kindof look at riding through thier orange colored glasses..... Hinting at how I'm a good rider and shoud "step up". I just keep a low profile about it. but am there waiting on half of them at splits in the trail. They have all since stopped thier talky talk.

Sometimes it seems like they are bragging and trying to outdo each other about thier repairs...."oh yeah, well I had to send my entire bottom end off to be redone because a bolt broke loose and chewed up my gearbox". I'll usually chime in late and say "I know what you mean man. Seems like I've spent a fortune on sprockets, chains and tires over the years". :cool:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I get the same crap too from the KTM guys. I've done all the KDX mods (thanks to kdxrider) and I get the smirky, "yeah, but it's still a KDX!"

yeah, ha ha. eat my roost... I'm always up in front! (ok... one orange dude is faster :wink: )
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
mercenary223

Post by mercenary223 »

Most the time its people that think the more money you spend on a bike the better it is. 8 always used to see this in coos bay oregon at the dunes. I would be. There with my 1988 lt500r that cost me 1500 and had 1500 in extras would get laughed at by big bore raptors not knowing much about quads until I hit the throttle and could beat them from second gear on. Not to say some of those bikes aren't nice but as much as I wreck my 91 kdx suits me fine and only cost me 350.00
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I get a bit of that.
I ride with a pretty diverse group of guys and bikes, definately not all KTM.
Most of us race enduros and hare scrambles, not the whole series just 4-5 a year, so we do a lot of endurance training down at my place where we have a 20 mile single track loop.
It doesn't matter what bike you got there. The loop takes an hour and a half, give or take. If you are not in pretty good shape the last half is brutal.

I get a great deal of pleasure finishing 10 minutes behind an A rider on a $10,000 Husaberg who entered and finished the Paris-Dakar Rally a few years ago.

I'm on a '99 CR with a KDX motor in it that I built 3 years ago. I think I've changed the spark plug once in that time.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

I'm new to KDX's, I got my GF a '94 KDX200. It's a little beat up but runs like a champ, I'm really impressed by the plush suspension and nimble handling. I ride a very well prepared '02 CR250R, if I resprung the KDX for my weight, I really doubt it would cost me much speed for the woods riding we do.
I remember when I rode a CR500R being frustrated that I was having a tough time getting by KDX's in single track, now I know why.
When it came time to get my GF a new bike I was hot on the idea of a KTM200, it was my Bro that talked me into the KDX. He was adamant the 93-94 KDX200 was THE bike for her. KDX's are way more capable than most people realize, even the "old" ones.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

You guys are killin me... I hear the same testimonials about the DRZ, but dang...for about 500-1000 less I can get a comparable KDX and it just sounds like so much funner a bike... OK..I think the 01' for $1400 is going to have to come to my house. I'll keep you guys posted and hopefully have pics in a week or so!
06' 200 Bone Stock
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

well i guess im kinda in the middle here... got a 02 220 and a 09 KTM 250xcw.. Love them both for the most part. Both could be better in some aspects. But i still get that look from KTM guys when i say i have a KDX. And when i talk about the Hybrid we are doing, they have to try hard not to laugh, like im wasting my time... I will show them!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

And when i talk about the Hybrid we are doing, they have to try hard not to laugh, like im wasting my time... I will show them!
Yup, you will.

I've let a few small bore GasGas/KDX guys ride my bike. The've all come back with a big grin, "Love the motor!"
Your hybrid will have comparable performance to any of those small bore 2-strokes.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sometimes it seems like they are bragging and trying to outdo each other about thier repairs...."oh yeah, well I had to send my entire bottom end off to be redone because a bolt broke loose and chewed up my gearbox". I'll usually chime in late and say "I know what you mean man. Seems like I've spent a fortune on sprockets, chains and tires over the years".
LMAO!!! Awesome. Gotta throw in a "yeah I know what you mean it's gonna break the bank when I do my 4000mi top end service!!"
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Duke

Post by Duke »

One of the best compliments paid to the marque was made unbeknownst to the persons knowledge that I was listening. In essence, I went to get my bike from the local supension guy, a reputable shop that caters to hard core racers. The owner was standing there talking to one of his workers ( a guy of all about 19 or 20) who inquired about my bike. The owner said it was one of the best bikes ever made and that most of his customers would be just as well off on a KDX as they would on a more expensive bike. "They are great, you can do anything on them except supercross. And they run for ever."
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:You guys are killin me... I hear the same testimonials about the DRZ, but dang...for about 500-1000 less I can get a comparable KDX and it just sounds like so much funner a bike... OK..I think the 01' for $1400 is going to have to come to my house. I'll keep you guys posted and hopefully have pics in a week or so!
Yes, please do.
Rode a relative's DRZ back-to-back with the KDX. DRZ seemed much more suited to different type of riding than the KDX. More comfy on longer trips. KDX is a lot lighter feeling and much more off-road oriented. Both suffer from undeserved "poo-pooing".
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote: DRZ More comfy on longer trips.
Even been on one for more than 1 h??? That stock DRZ seat compared to the kdx is like being on a 2x4...
Jonooffler

Post by Jonooffler »

It's odd I have owned loads of off road bike DTR DR XR250 TE610 every time I would park up, guys would walk over and look at the bike talk about the bike, how much they liked it would I sell it . I even used to to have notes with phone numbers left on the bike asking if I would like to sell it. However when I bought the KDX that all stopped no body looks twice at it ,the only time I had any interest was when a police man asked me if i should have L plates on it ( thinking it was a 125cc bike ).The KDX is the best off road bike It's just that nobody notices it.
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:>|<>QBB<>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote: DRZ More comfy on longer trips.
Even been on one for more than 1 h??? That stock DRZ seat compared to the kdx is like being on a 2x4...
The seat breaks in at 2000 miles. Either that or my ass broke in...
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr