First hard ride on the KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
kywoodsrider

First hard ride on the KDX

Post by kywoodsrider »

I put about 40 miles of hard woods riding on my 2000 KDX220 yesterday. I spent some time adjusting on the suspension. I am very pleased with this bike. I pushed it as hard as I could and it soaked it up very well. The suspension leaves a little to be desired, but the engine is perfect. I rode my friends 07 KTM 200 yesterday as well, and I much preffer the KDX. His KTM had a hard hitting power band. I am used to riding a YZ, and I just sold my RM so I know what a hard hitting power band feels like. The KTM power delivery was just to much for the trails that I ride. It also felt like it had less down low compared to the KDX. We did some 200 yard drag races, and he could only get me by 1 bike length. The only thing I did notice is that my Kips rattle got a little louder towards the end of the day. One reason for that may be that the previous owner ran Maxima 927 in it. I drained the fuel and ran Amsoil Intercepter. Maybe the Kips valve is just cleaning up a bit? Also when I bought the bike it had a brand new trials tire on the back. I must say I am hooked on the trials tire. I will post a link to my Helmet cam video's tonight.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds like you nailed what a KDX is all about! A noisy KIPS is a healthy KIPS!!!!!

I am glad that you have the opportunity to experience the KDX the way it is meant to be....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, the interceptor and some hard riding could be cleaning out some of the junk. Nice note on the drag race...While thre are a lot of variables here, it brings up a good note. 'Feel' of speed/accelleration...especially on a hard hitting 2-cycle, doesn't necessarily equate to the clock. Needle swaps on the KDX/other bikes which transform from mellow to strong hitting probably equate to .05 at the trap. I'll take smooth every time.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

What size / brand of trials tire.

Just got a set of Maxxis desert ITs (so cal)
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Re: First hard ride on the KDX

Post by KDX4ID »

>|<>QBB<
kywoodsrider wrote: The suspension leaves a little to be desired, but the engine is perfect.

I've got about 600 miles + one race on my '97 220 and I feel very much the same. I have ridden everything from black D single track to wide open desert. I agree the suspension comes up a little short in the dez but for tight, nasty, gnarly, single track it's the bomb.

The motor is just plain damn sweet! It can crawl out of a creek bed or scream across the desert!

I bought another one just for parts! I'm a KDX guy for a long time.
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

Dunlop D803 Radial. The tire will glew you to the ground. The only place it didn't shine was in the deep mud, but it still held its own. Once it hit dry ground it was instantly cleaned out and ready to go. The only problem I had was getting the front to stick. Felt like it wanted to wash on me. The front is a Maxxis Maxx cross IT.
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

What size on the D803?
1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|QBB<[/url]
Tomm9050 wrote:What size on the D803?
They only come in 1 size.. 4.00-18.

2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
kywoodsrider wrote:Dunlop D803 Radial. The tire will glew you to the ground. The only place it didn't shine was in the deep mud, but it still held its own. Once it hit dry ground it was instantly cleaned out and ready to go. The only problem I had was getting the front to stick. Felt like it wanted to wash on me. The front is a Maxxis Maxx cross IT.
Trials tires are gum balls ain't they? Plus they last easily as long as 2 knobbies. :grin:
I've had 2 Maxxis IT fronts (1 on a WR250F & 1 on a YZ250), wasn't at all impressed with either. Got a Dunlop 756 (probably have to get an MX51 now) on the front of the KDX, works quite well with the trials tire for me.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

Here is a quick clip of the lower part of the trail we rode. It is on my Dad's farm.

ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I run trials most of the time. Love them too. I see that clip says you're in KY. Are you going to the AMA Renfro Valley ride next weekend?

BTW, change your front fork oil to 7.5 or 10 weight and you will notice a difference. Cheap fix.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nice vid!

I love Kentucky....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

I had the camera set to low sound. I think I will stick to high. The other thing I did was point the camera down a little bit more. I am not sure I liked it, but it gave a more acurate prespective of the terrain.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Nice video.
Looked like a really pretty day
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy