First Harescramble

Got questions? We got answers....
exbee

First Harescramble

Post by exbee »

I'm going to enter my KDX 250 in my first off-road race this weekend and I thought I'd ask if anyone had tips on bike set-up or riding technique for me?
I've never ridden the track but I'm told it's fairly tight and in mostly hilly, wooded areas. It has been fairly dry around here lately but I expect the conditions will still be quite muddy.
I've been spending as much time on the bike as possible and I'm starting to get fairly comfortable riding aggressively on it...although it is my first dirt bike so I've got a lot to learn.
My buddy has been doing the local scrambles on his KLX300 for a while so he's going to show me the ropes...can't wait for the weekend!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Relax your arms... don't death grip your bars. That wears out more people than anything combined.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if you do several loops, don't battle faster rider in the 1st loop, conserve your energy, the odds are you will pass most of them back again on your last loop when they're tired :wink:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

^ What they said. Drink tons of water daily, and if you don't, start taking a multivitamin now.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jrnolan

Post by jrnolan »

Hydrate, now and don't stop.
Eat smart, what works for you.
Practice dead engine starts in 2nd gear, if that is how the race will start.

A race is riding with some people who do not really care about your well being. They will use you for traction. :shock: This is much different than a trail ride with friends.

Let the A class riders pass you, move off the race line if need be, do not hold them up, they will pass you in groups at first.

Do not undertake any fixes or mods the night before the race. The bike should be "race ready" before midnight the day of the race, do you know what I mean?

Tension and anxiety may grip you before the race. Channel it into a focus on a routine (preparation) or a mantra that works for you.

Have fun with it and ride within YOUR limits, not at the pace of the "A" rider who just passed you in 5th gear.
JR
exbee

Post by exbee »

Thanks guys, this is just the stuff I was looking for.
I was planning on a bottle of gatorade on the way to the race but it sounds like that isn't going to cut it...time to hit the water.
I wasn't aware that a 2nd gear start is recommended...good to know...it will be a dead-engine start.
I've been road racing for 4 years so I'm familiar with having the bike prepared well in advance and don't imagine I'll get too nervous prior to the race. As I understand it our "amateur" class runs before the combined "juniors & pros" race so hopefully the competitors will be less likely to use my leg for traction!
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I've never done one, but I really want to! From what I've heard, the best thing to do is not give a hoot what place you come in, just get out there and have fun!
'00 KDX 220R
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Simply finishing is a great success!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Learn to lug the engine, especialy if the terrain is rough (roots or rocks). Ride a gear higher and let it pull you forward. It will be much less jerky going though bumps that way.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
exbee

Post by exbee »

Guys, is there any scramble "etiquette" I should know about before the race? I assume I pull over if there's no room to pass and a faster guy is behind me? I aslo assume I don't need to stop to help anyone unless they're hurt? Anything else I should know so I don't piss off the veterans?
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

Listen for "WHHHAOOO" or any type of yelling.. That means "get out my way!!" Dont panic, just pull off, and make sure you dont just jump right back on bc there might be a few passing.. Try to walk a bit of the trails if you can. Watch out for the first lap are two. You guys will prob be grouped up and that is the most dangerous parts of the race. DRINK WATER!! i would ride with a water pack. Dont do what i did my first race and think you will be fine. most of all, HAVE FUN!!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
exbee

Post by exbee »

Well I did the scramble today and managed to come out the other end un-injured on an undamaged (mostly) bike. It was quite challenging but a lot of fun. I fell probably 5 times including an embarassing one on the sighting lap :oops: but I finished 6th out of 9 in the amateur class so I'm happy with that.
I have to say that the KDX motor is amazing...but you all know that. It just pulls like a tractor from idle and takes you through anything you point it at. The front suspension on the other hand didn't help me any. Up until now I thought the forks were OK when I had been just trail riding, but in an hour-long race you really notice their shortcomings as you try to continue riding fast while getting more tired. If I don't do the KX fork swap I'll definitely try re-installing my stock fork springs before my next race. The Race Tech springs I put in were a bit too stiff for my weight but I thought they'd be OK, it turns out they deflect off of everything on a course like the one I rode today.
Overall though, the bike perfomed great and I had a really good time...now to convince the wife to let me do this on a regular basis along with my roadracing....
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

Congratulations!!
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

Very cool exbee.
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Uh,....where's the helmet cam video?
Hare scrambles are hilarious, especially if it's muddy!
exbee

Post by exbee »

No helmet cam but here are a few pictures of the action...the first one is the only one from the amateur race...the rest are all of the Junior/Pro combined race. Their course was a lot muddier than ours...I'm glad I didn't have to race for the first time in those conditions!

http://www.atlanticmx.com/cgi-bin/yabb/ ... 1272238385
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

That's too much mud for me!
I don't know how you guys do it.
That kind of riding is physically exhausting, tears up the bikes and just plain doesn't look like fun.
I guess I've become an old fart.
I'll take a nice fireroad, mx track or something where I don't have to paddle with my feet!
But hey, whatever gets your adrenaline going right?
Here's what gets mine going.

exbee

Post by exbee »

I actually agree Tharrell, I'm not really into riding in deep mud either...it's not much fun. The course we rode on the weekend was pretty much all dry with some fast sections so it was much more enjoyable...there were no get-off-and-push mud holes. If being an amateur means riding the more "fun" course, I'm all for staying amateur.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I know this is sort of a woods bike forum and I have a KDX250, that's why I joined. But, I bought my KDX to trail ride, not bust up in the trees. I don't plan on putting bark busters on it because I don't plan to be near any trees except to lean the bike on!
I have 3 MX bikes and bought this thing to tool around on.
Still, I was watching a hare scrambles helmet cam footage and I just cringed at all the mud and everyone tearing their bikes up.
To each his own I guess.
One thing I've learned to ask when buying a bike over the phone is to ask if it's ever been ridden in a hare scrambles! If the answer is yes, I stop right there.
That tells me a lot.
Clutch abuse, water logged bearings, etc...
I bought a 2001 CR250 and had to put a new back wheel on it because the squid that had it rode the wheel bearings till they disintegrated the hub.
Guess what his custom graphics said?
MUDBUTT
Good thing I $tole it from him, I was able to restore the bike to new conditon. Now that's a potent trail bike if equiped right.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't know how to respond to that. How many posts are related to racing on this forum? Maybe a handful.

The KDX was developed for this type activity so you will see people do this but that's not saying that is why this site was developed for. I don't race.... sometimes I ride agressively and the bike does quite well for that purpose.

I don't have bark busters on my bike because I like to go up against trees and try to take them out. I have them on my bike because in the case that I get deflected towards a tree that my hands have a chance to come out without broken bones. I also have them on my bike to save my levers survive if I were to dump the bike in rocks. These are things no one plans for but happens even just trail riding.

Just because someone rode a bike in a few hare scramble races doesn't mean the bike is trashed either. Maintenance is the key..... any bike that has not been maintained is a bike that probably needs a few bearing replacements.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "