need more "feel" in the rear.....brake.

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I use engine braking, a light touch on the front brake with 2 fingers and slightly ride the rear brake.

Go ahead... tell me how that is wrong!

Allot of people complain on how they boil their brake fluid... well... I have never had that happen.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I have an ergo problem with my rear brake pedal too. It really made me learn to use my front the way you should...like 90%. I use it to brake-slide. It's really ennerving to use a lot of front brake on a huge slippery grade, but that's where all your braking power is. We have steep hills here, they just aren't that long/tall. I'm also from the MD/PA area...Where I learned to ride. IL presents it's own challenges...The 'black dirt' here can go from dry slick to perfectly tacky to SLICK AS SNOT in a heartbeat, and vary a lot on a trail. Black gumbo as they call it in the circle track world...Presents a unique challenge there as well as opposed to all the mostly clay tracks in the country. Regardless, being able to immediately use your rear brake without fumbling is important. :mrgreen: I've done a couple similar things to help me out, and now I think the biggest problem is my Tech 8's. I would have no problem with sneakers on...LOL.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
heckler

Post by heckler »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:You guys need to learn the value of using your front brake.... Damn newbies....
absolutely!

get some weight over the front end, and your front wheel won't be washing out when you brake with it.

I barely use the rear brake, although i'm learning to feather it to ease off on the front.
heckler

Post by heckler »

not my video, but an example of steep, loose and scary around here...

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/1047/
chopper_guy
Supporting Member

Post by chopper_guy »

Interesting observation on the Tech 8s. I got a pair of older hand me downs from the brother in law and find it nearly impossible to modulate the rear brake with these boots. Only way I can get any pedal feel is to lift my foot off the peg and push on the lever with the ball of my foot.
performancecycle

Post by performancecycle »

I found that the rear brake works better in conjunction with the front on the kdx This thing handles diffrent than most bikes and really takes a lot of getting the feel, four months and it still teaches me a lesson every now and then.