Nuther Newb Question...be patient all!

Got questions? We got answers....
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Nuther Newb Question...be patient all!

Post by Sapphire »

Alright, I have really ONLY been looking for 97' and new KDX's, just because a friend told me that the 97-06' were almost identical. I figured, well, there must have been a change from 96 to 97'... so they are probably better...?? :roll:

So..I rememered seeing an older one. Frankly, just looking at the bike, its shape and all, it looks about identical to the new ones right? IS there any big sticking point on buying one this old? I would think, with the mods and upgrades and care that you guys are doing to any of them, this is just as good a bike??

Is there any particular years to look out for? This kid went from 1200 down to 850... Says it runs good. in the pic, its all dirty, so he's obviously not meticulous about keeping it nice... What if Icould pic this bike up for $600? Would another 600 spent wisely make anything special of it??

I plan to call him asap and ask some questions... you guys should give me a good list of questions to ask!

Sorry for all the dumb questions...but hey... a guys gotta know!
:prayer:
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

Im not sure of the difference between 96-97, but im sure someone will tell you. But just a heads up, you could have posted this in your "buying a KDX" topic you created this afternoon. It would have fit there. If you didnt want to create another topic on the same related matter. just a helpfull hint. not a fuss.
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Quite a few people on here ride the older E series bikes. They seem to like them. The motor is slightly different and parts may be a little harder to find but there is no guarantee on that.

Ask Mr Wibbens about his
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Your friend is wrong. The KDX was unchanged other than graphics and such since 1995. So 1995+ 200's are all exactly the same. The 220 started in 1997, so that is probably what your friend was referring to.

I ride an E series bike myself (89-94), as do several other members here. It's rumored that the E series had the best engine of the bunch, but the ergonomics are certainly improved on the H series (95+)

I wouldn't pass up a good E bike just because it's older. They make excellent trail machines, and are relatively bullet proof.

I'm not sure about thinking they look the same. The 95+ H series bikes use a completely different frame setup. It's a perimeter frame, and looks quite different than the E series bike.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Well, to my untrained eye...they looked the same, but I can see what you are saying... :wink:

I started a new thread, because I figured many of you have already looked at and tired of the other thread! Just trying to keep your attention! :lol:

I think I'll keep my eyes open for all years... heck with it... More info on the "E's" would be nice though!

Thanks all...
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The E series to me reminds me of the old 4 strokes... just run and run and run.... a reliable rock and as comfy as can be if you like to sit like me. More comfy than the H series. Has better grunt too like the 220 I imagine.

I wouldn't hesitate getting an E series KDX. They do eat KIPS valve gears more than the H series though....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

I own a 92' E series KDX 200 for 14years. tell you what this bike rocks. check out the face of a ktm rider when you pass them with a kdx on the trail. feel all worth while spent.

if you gonna get the bike, myself or any of the guys here will advise you to strip the bike completely to maybe paint things up, grease all the bearings you could find and replaced all leaking seals and orings gaskets and worn bearings. replaced all the oil you could find, service the top end and bottom end. tune the supension to your weight.

jet the bike up and man you got yourself a hella of bike. you might want to buy a good cond. engine cylinder off ebay to keep as spares if the left hand kips valve keeps breaking. a good cylinder will prolong the valve from breaking too soon. good 2T oil and ratio helps too.
A true KDX customizer!!
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Cool!!
06' 200 Bone Stock
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

I own a 92' E series KDX 200 for 14years. tell you what this bike rocks. check out the face of a ktm rider when you pass them with a kdx on the trail. feel all worth while spent.

if you gonna get the bike, myself or any of the guys here will advise you to strip the bike completely to maybe paint things up, grease all the bearings you could find and replaced all leaking seals and orings gaskets and worn bearings. replaced all the oil you could find, service the top end and bottom end. tune the supension to your weight.

jet the bike up and man you got yourself a hella of bike.
I have the same year, how is your's setup/ jetted?

Thanks
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

pro circuit pipe and 304 sliencer
boysen 607 reed
twin air fiter
air box lid mod
spark plug BR8ES gaped between 0.7 to 0.8
H series front fork 7.5wt oil with xr 400 0.38 spring
stock rear shock preload 100mm (I am 160lbs with full load)
stock piston and ring
13T front and 48T rear
PWK 35mm, 42pj, 148mj, CGK needle at 3rd clip, AS 1.7 turn out
My country is hot and humid pre mix ratio is 50:1 using castrol fully syntetic.
A true KDX customizer!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sapphire,

If you haven't checked out the members bike profile section, do it. Lots of good photo's and info there.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

juliend wrote:Sapphire,

If you haven't checked out the members bike profile section, do it. Lots of good photo's and info there.
Cool...will do.

I like the idea of grabbing this 93 up... riding it this summer, then tearing it into a hundred pieces this winter... that could be fun... scary too though! :lol:

The kid appears to be aching to sell it cause he needs some money to put towards a new bike, "A Bigger Bike" as he says.... :rolleyes:
06' 200 Bone Stock
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Maybe its just me, BUT, beware of ANYTHING KID OWNED & MAINTAINED......I would rather have something ADULT OWNED, less likley to have the **** BEAT OUT OF IT....
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

LMAO... I just told the kid I'd have to pass. I had him send me some better pictures. This bike has had zero maintenance... However... check out the forks? Those must not be stock???
I asked him if he has cleaned it since the craigslist photos, he says, "oh yeah, it was just a little dirty that day"... Check out these pics! :roll:

Does this look like a good bike to STAY AWAY from??? :neutral:
06' 200 Bone Stock
exbee

Post by exbee »

Those are the stock forks or from a KX of similar vintage...they look very similar. It doesn't look too bad to me but it's hard to tell from pictures...It's going to require a complete rebuild regardless IMO
Last edited by exbee on 01:19 pm Apr 16 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This bike is a 93 or 94... the forks are stock. It is a 17 year old bike! It doesn't look bad to me at all....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Well, I'm not clean freak, I'll tell ya that right now, but I'd never let that grimy crap build up on my motor and sprockets and such...
$800?? no way, not me.
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'd buy it for $700
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Yours is an H right? That old E sounds to be a good machine...

Say I dump $700 into it. Would another say, $700 put it in the class of the 01' with the newly rebuilt motor I am looking at for 1500? (which I will only offer 12 on see what he says...) the one pictured on one of my threads with the FMF pipes and such?

THanks Inda and all.... i've been outta bikes for LONG TIME (before that 93' was an itch in its daddies pants)... so anything I can gleen from you guys is a bonus! :mrgreen:
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

and I gotta ask... Is there a quick and easy way I can get that HIDEOUS blue seat with the pink graphics covered up?????? :blink:
06' 200 Bone Stock