Replacing the 220 grenade...

Got questions? We got answers....
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Replacing the 220 grenade...

Post by Sapphire »

So what will this cost me? And...having NEVER torn an engine down...can I do this? I've wrenched plenty, but never "into" a motor...

Is it just crazy to even ride this bike at all if it has a stock piston... how about if I dont rev it at all :shock: :? OK...that wont work!!! :roll:

Thanks!
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

By the way, I just talk to the owner of this bike, he says $2200 is as low as he will go... I'd HAVE to replace the piston, which is going to get me ?$? more into it... then likely/maybe bearings and such??

Supposedely the bike has been babied...

My biggest prob is patience...I want one now...and there are none around me for sale. This bike is 235 miles away...the next closest one is about 480!
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Montana does present a problem.

I wouldn't buy it but that is up to you.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

piston change is not that bad, there's a few things to watch out (like support the actuator shaft and the left treaded nut) It'll cost about 150 bux with piston kit and gasket.
As for bearings, if the bike was really babied, they should be in good shape, might be able to clean and re grease them.
I've had mine since 05 and have replaced the bearings 1 time. They could have lasted much longer if I took care of them better. I ride in really muddy condition, and realized I used poor quality grease and only inspected once a year. Now I inspect them 2 times a year and use bell ray, bearing should last a lot longer.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

what's wrong with Montana? humidity?
price seems a little high though, don't see many upgrade parts on it.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

It has protaper bars, AVS levers, Moose guards, Lowering links with originals, brake light switch, it is Plated and legal on road in MT(needs horn and mirror, but it IS licensed for MT street), works connection skid plate and a custom kickstand, with original (probably was too tall with the lowering links.) also has an extra, new, stock silencer and pipe...

The lowering links are great to hear, because I am 5'7" and will be Happy to not be tiptoeing...

There are several bikes in Idaho, 450=550 miles away for 1500-2200... other than that...nothing! They are all 00-01's too...

Finally...MT, especially this part, is Very dry...so it is possible the bearings have seen very little water, unless the bike was pressure washed a bunch?

Thanks for your opinions...I am adding up my pennies.... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Sapphire on 01:41 pm Apr 15 2010, edited 1 time in total.
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

If it were me, I'd buy the following bike and ship it rather than picking up the 220 shown above which needs the piston swap and lots of mods to get in the same class as this one. That being said, even this 200 is a bit pricey for the local market. Good luck with your search.

http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/forums/vi ... =3&t=41173
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I likewise would not buy it. It's a buyers market right now, and if you're patient, you'll find a better deal.
Wikkedgt

Post by Wikkedgt »

I bought an all stock '04 200 from a Craigslist ad late last summer in excellent condition for $1350. I checked CL and ebay daily until I found a deal.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I did the same for my 89, checking craigs and the bay daily. It wasn't a runner, but it was clean and all there for $450. Not much was majorly wrong, and I was able to get it up and running with no money spent, just time. Over the last 2 years I've reworked just about everything on the bike. Probably have about 1500 in it now as it sits. Worth every penny!
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Well, this 93 is an option...he's asking 850 and I am thinking he might let her go for like 650.... he says it runs good and its clean....?? I'll talk to him more tommorrow.

I also have a line on an 01'... I am going to call the shop that rebuilt the engine on it. The kid said it blew up and he took it to the motorcycle shop and had it rebuilt. The head had to be bored out and possibly sleeved, he wasn't sure... I am going to ask the shop for details and ask the kid to fax me a copy of the receipt. We'll see. It looks real clean and he's asking 15, so if I can get couple or few hun off that...I may be in business!

Thanks for all your input!

Ernie
06' 200 Bone Stock
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

avoid the sleeve if you can. Hopefully they had the cylinder repaired and re-plated. That would be the proper way to repair it. You can always pick up a used cylinder on ebay and have it re-plated sometime in the future though...
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Here is what the kid said about the rebuild. He has receipts and gave me the name of the shop, Jones Motorsports in ID Falls... He figures he's ridden 25-30 hrs since the rebuild... He also greased the bearings when the rebuild was done...
"Well the bore size is 1.00 mm over stock 70mm oversized wiseco piston, they didn't have to do anything to the bottom end, the piston was a hundred and twenty and Jones charged me two fifty to refinish the cylinder and to put it back together so total was $390with gaskets ."

Thats what I know so far. I am going to call Jones today and see if they know what "refinishing the cylinder" means... Im sure they do.

Description says "Tusk Handguards"... not seeing those...maybe old pics?

OK...Fresh, Shop rebuild... $1300 for the bike?.... what do you guys think?
06' 200 Bone Stock
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

You should have asked the shop what piston they put in. If it's a Wiseco it'll last. if it's the stock one that's probably what caused the motor to blow in the first place and will happen again.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

At least it has a pipe.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

One more question...on that upper bike, the 04' with the Non rebuilt head...

Would it be best, for a non mechanic like myself, to just have a shop do it? Or find a local guy that does it on the side, but is reputable?? Only reason I ask, is because...that bike is clean... plus..it has the plate, the brake light, hand guards, lowering link, skid plate, etc... The guy sounds firm, but if I can get him DOWN the price of a rebuild... ???
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I was gonna ask...
that pipe... is that FMF silencer going to be loud compared to the stocker??

It is the Wiseco....
06' 200 Bone Stock
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I'd get the cheaper one. yes the FMF is going to be louder. Also, if it's a powercore, theres no spark arrestor in it. a turbinecore does have one.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Does that look like a "gnarly"??? Or do they all look alike?

Hopefully its the turbine... as I'll be riding in the mountains a lot... have to check.
06' 200 Bone Stock
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is a long can silencer so I would bet that it is a Turbine core. The pipe is also a FMF woods pipe.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****