Buying a KDX (check this one out....)

Got questions? We got answers....
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Buying a KDX (check this one out....)

Post by Sapphire »

So... I've heard 97-2006 were the SAME bikes, so selecting a year shouldn't be that big of a deal right?

What about 200 versus 220? I am seeing more 220's for sale locally, but I dont really have a pref. I heard the 200 has more top end, but the 220 is no slouch...and of course, I've heard about the 220 grenade issue...

If I had $2000... (or should I say, if YOU had $2000)... would you rather buy a bike from a guy that looked really well maintained and in good shape, 1 owner, yada yada, for $2000... OR... Do you buy a $900 bike that is not "trashed" but obviously has had some pretty good use. Frame is sound, motor runs good... plastics are all scratched up, grips are worn off, tires are bald... Then, put a bunch of time and $1100 worth of parts/mods into her???

Thanks!

For example... I have not seen this bike, only read the description...called and left a message with the guy.
"2001 kdx 220
Just was rebuilt professionally
Larger wesico high compression piston
New rear tire
Full fmf exhaust
Renthal bars with tusk hand gaurds
Awesome bike runs great ! Need money for college "
Last edited by Sapphire on 09:48 am Apr 15 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

lmao... ABOVE... lets say, "the bike looks really well maintained and in good shape!"
06' 200 Bone Stock
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

it's all about how much time you wanna be wrenching on your bike and how deep you wanna go...

Oh and get the 200...they faster :mrgreen:

jokin aside I'd get the 200 just cuz of the issue with the 220 piston and the type of riding I do, the 200 is perfect 4 me.

godd luck
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Buying a KDX

Post by scheckaet »

btw: wtf does this mean?

Just was "rebuilt professionally " .
why? what happened? who did the work? FRP? eric gorr? the old bum living by the river????
"Larger" wesico high compression piston
overbore? what size? sleeved?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The 200 is certainly the faster bike, and has more than enough low end for most riders. The 220 is a stump puller, but also the king of short shifting.

My preference is for the solid bike that needs some prettying up. This way you know what you have in it when you're done. However, I"m also the guy who will head out to the garage and disassemble the bike for no particular reason other than that I like to wrench on it.
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

i have a 220 and it really is a "stump puller". I love the torque of this thing.. As I have said many times (to many times), but will say it again, my 02 220 has more torque than my 09 ktm 250xc-w. HOWEVER, if i had to do it again, i would go with the 200. I would rather race in the lights class with the KDX and race the 250 with big bikes. I dont like having two bike that i can race i nsame class. But i still love my 220. if you just want to BAARRRPPPP around, git the 220, if you like to BEEEEE BEEEEEEE then 200
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

200/220 prolly won't make much difference. They are both vastly different to you than a DRZ.

Some years ago I went from an XR400 that I thought was the bomb (it was, too) to a KDX220. I was horrified at the lack of bottom end, top end, and mid. At first I thought I had made a huge mistake and had bought a $#@& bike.

It took some time to get used to the required riding style. After a number of modifications, that 220 was the sweetest running bike I'd ever had.

A girl bought it and has been happy ever since :lol:

I then put a hopped up KDX220 motor in a CR frame. Fine bike.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Good stuff, Thanks...

Yeah... I was wondering myself about the rebuild. I asked him, in an email, if he had receipts and such, so I could call the outfit and talk about it. "Bigger Wiseco?" Does that mean its bored out or what?? We'll see...

I am going to be ripping around mx tracks (NOT COMPETITIVELY), up and down hill climbs, trails, woods, gravel pits... etc... and 9 outta 10 times I'll have an 8 yr old girl in tow on a ttr 90! :grin: So the "ripping" will be short term stuff ....

THanks
chrisg
Supporting Member

Re: Buying a KDX

Post by chrisg »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote: would you rather buy a bike from a guy that looked really well maintained and in good shape,
:razz: :razz: :razz:
exbee

Post by exbee »

If it were me, whether it was a $2,000 bike or a $900 bike I would want to tear it down and replace bearings, seals, reeds, re-jet, and everything else you'd do to make sure it is in top shape. Then you know what you've got and can ride knowing that you don't have a bunch of worn-out parts ready to give out. I'd go for the cheap bike and plan on spending several hundred to go over it and make it work like new....my two cents.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Besides time, to do all the bearings and such isn't too bad is it? As far as cost I mean?

What about reeds and jets and all that good stuff?? Couple hundred bucks??
06' 200 Bone Stock
exbee

Post by exbee »

I just did what you're considering with a '93 KDX 250. It looked to be in pretty good shape when I bought it, and it was for a 17 year old bike, but once I started taking it apart it needed linkage bearings, swingarm bearings, water pump bearing & seal, reeds, jets, needle, shift shaft seal, fork seals & oil, air filter, clutch shaft seal, service manual, brake pads, etc., etc., etc.
It didn't cost a huge amount but it was probably easily over $500 and I'm still replacing things. Another huge help was the fact that I picked up a complete parts bike for $250 minus the motor. It took a lot of time as I'm learing about KDXs as I go but it has been worth it since the bike works great and I didn't pay a lot for it to begin with.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Well... I dont think I have $2500, but if this guy would take 18-20, I'd probably be able to scrape it up? What do you guys think? Is an 04' KDX worth $2500? $2000?

"I bought the bike from the original owner in late 07 and have used it about 30 hrs since. The original owner bought it new in 06 from the dealer. The bike runs great and has no mechanical problems. The mods that have been done are a Pro Taper bar, AVS levers, Moose hand guards, lowering links (I still have originals), brake light switch, Works Connection skidplate and custom kickstand (still have original). It is a great trail bike and has enough torque to hang with the thumpers. It will come with several parts including a Kawasaki manual, a newer replacement pipe (no dents) and muffler, few extra air filters and the original parts that I removed. If you have been looking for a KDX, your search is over, you will not find one in better condition than this. I have a clean title for it, I only take cash and if you have any questions you can give me a call"

I haven't posted a pic here...will figure that out real quick then post some pics..
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Here's the bike... This thing looks good to me.... probably need new piston though huh!
No wear on the frame above the pegs!
Not sure why it has a 200 manual??
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

200 and 220 manual are one and the same... there is a supplimental manual for the 220 however.

I would not pay more than $1500 for a KDX... no matter what the condition. Well... if it was fully set up with ALL the goodies then that is a different story.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

^^Exactly. Get the most pimped out one you can for the money. I'd buy a 95 200 with scotts damper, KX forks, blah, blah over a 2005 that's bone stock. Taking into consideration that the older bike isn't a total rag. These things are tanks though...If the motor is good it's as simple as going through all the bearings/chain/brakes.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Maybe I'll offer the guy $1500 and see what he says... if he says, "nah, 19 is as low as I can go..." I think I will run up there and load it up! :supz:
06' 200 Bone Stock
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

Don't know if you bought it, but that thing's worth $2,500+ here in Cali.

It's got a plate!
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
KDX4ID wrote:It's got a plate!
If it is like AZ, a plate doesn't mean street legal!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I talked to a guy yesterday that sent me some links to some MT DMV stuff...

Apparently, when I go in to "register" my bike, they ask off road or on road registration... i tell the "on road" and they give me a plate!

THEN...it is MY responsibility to MAKE the bike street legal (which in MT is basically brake light, mirror, plate...horn... I think that is really it...but I'll check to be sure....)

I just missed a KILLER deal... didn't look at the paper on Sunday, looked Monday... 03' 200... ridden like 4-5 hrs! stored inside... fired up now and again... $1500.... sold by the time I called. So...I am currently looking at an 01' for $1400 and an 03' DRZ for $1800.....

I am trying to be patient... :roll:
06' 200 Bone Stock