How much funner is the KDX than a DRZ 400?

Got questions? We got answers....
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

How much funner is the KDX than a DRZ 400?

Post by Sapphire »

I know these bikes are vastly different...but for some reason or another, I've settled either on the DRZ 400 (old, dirtbike....not enduro) or the KDX....OR a KTM 200 exc if I can find one....

I am going to be doing a LOT of play riding... some on tracks, mostly on trails and gravel pits and such... I LOVE the power of the DRZ I'm riding now, but am really thinking the lightweight and better handling of the KDX will be the cats patooty...

Opinions??
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Remember that movie Forrest Gump? That scene where he's being chased by the bullies and Forrest can't run well because of the leg braces? The braces start to come apart and Forest suddenly can run like the wind. That's kinda what it's like riding a DRZ then going to a KDX.

The difference with the KDX and that KTM is like shoving a hot poker up the ass off a wild cat without knowing when or where it's gonna happen. It's very unpredictable and not a pleasant surprise. I equate the KTM200 to riding a horse that gets spooked at it's own shadow, a branch moving, the wind.... you just never know when she's gonna want to buck you off and try to get away.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

LMAO!!! That is funny! I would like to ride the KTM just to see what you are talking about!!!

Have you ridden the old dirt DRZ? I really had a hoot riding it lately (neighboor owns it and is trying to sell it).

There is an 04 KDX for sale for $2500.... I am thinking of throwing a low ball offer of 1500 at him and see where or if he counters. I really dont want to spend more than about 1800... plus I have to drive 8 hr round trip to get it. Then...will have to repack bearings and all that likely!
06' 200 Bone Stock
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

is dat the e model drz?
for the dirt my vote goes hands down to kdx, lighter, easier and cheaper to mod ride, maintain....
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The ktm200 is a great bike and very fun to ride. What Ski is getting at above is the incredibly snappy power band. It runs like a wickedly tuned 125 up top. If you hit that power band in a bad spot, or when you're not ready, you WILL eat dirt. I think the ktm300 is an easier bike to ride because of this, but I do have a blast riding my buddies 200. I'm always happy to switch back to my KDX though!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Remember that movie Forrest Gump? That scene where he's being chased by the bullies and Forrest can't run well because of the leg braces? The braces start to come apart and Forest suddenly can run like the wind. That's kinda what it's like riding a DRZ then going to a KDX.

The difference with the KDX and that KTM is like shoving a hot poker up the ass off a wild cat without knowing when or where it's gonna happen. It's very unpredictable and not a pleasant surprise. I equate the KTM200 to riding a horse that gets spooked at it's own shadow, a branch moving, the wind.... you just never know when she's gonna want to buck you off and try to get away.
Now THAT'S classic Skipro3 right there.... glad your back!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I need to ride a KDX! Anyone in Billings Montana?????
06' 200 Bone Stock
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Same power @ 1/2 the CC's = 2X the fun!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

My buddy thinks is klx400(this is just a drz with gren plastics) has got gobs of power! But I don't have to pull up on bike to ride wheelie like he does... And I smoke him till 5th on the kdx. Kdx is a much funner bike!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
Jupiter2
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Jupiter2 »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Remember that movie Forrest Gump? That scene where he's being chased by the bullies and Forrest can't run well because of the leg braces? The braces start to come apart and Forest suddenly can run like the wind. That's kinda what it's like riding a DRZ then going to a KDX.

+1! :mrgreen:
gregf@aimcom.com

2000 KDX 200
2002 XR200
Kazuma 90cc quad
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

That Deezer DOES NOT ride wheelies well.....that is for sure!

Hey...off topic "slightly"...but what about the KLX 300r? Like 2006? Any info on that bike? I just saw one for sale close by...

Thanks!!

Ernie
06' 200 Bone Stock
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

I have one for sale. U want it? :mrgreen:
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

"2001 kdx 220 Just was rebuilt professionally Larger wesico high compression piston New rear tire Full fmf exhaust Renthal bars with tusk hand gaurds Awesome bike runs great ! Need money for college "

Sounds like that is worth a look! Only prob is, again, its 4 1/2 hours away from me! $*#^%$*$*# :butthead:
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

"I have one for sale. U want it? "

You talkin the 300?? :?
06' 200 Bone Stock
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:That Deezer DOES NOT ride wheelies well.....that is for sure!
???
Dunno if it's sarcasm or what but a DRZ does wheelie just fine...
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:"I have one for sale. U want it? "

yep 07 KLX300r $2300 and its yours.. NADA is $2800
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:That Deezer DOES NOT ride wheelies well.....that is for sure!
???
Dunno if it's sarcasm or what but a DRZ does wheelie just fine...
yeah but you got the SM thats different... thats got the kool factor like a KDX in dirt!! :supz:
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:"I have one for sale. U want it? "

no but all joking aside since you in Montana and cant buy my bike, i will tell you this about the 300... STAY AWAY!! its a turd... Hard to start and slow... fun for an old man that just wants to crooozzzzzz but not much of a FUN bike like the KDX is..
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I just found a 2006 200 xc in Fargo (quite a drive) for $2500... that is a heck of a deal if that bike is clean!!!

I think though...what I'm going to do, is just be patient and buy a 12-15 hunert dollar KDX and ENJOY! Plus...after reading Nicks rebuild I am pumped to do that! Pick up one that isn't even in good shape, maybe $800 and put a grand worth of rebuild into it and have a sweet bike...

Sound reasonable??
06' 200 Bone Stock
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Oh, and the Deezer I"ve been riding, if you dont have a bump or something to hit the front wheel on, you are HARD pressed to get a wheelie up. BUT... I'm sure the carb and such could be tuned a fair bit better than it is!
06' 200 Bone Stock