How much funner is the KDX than a DRZ 400?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:
I think though...what I'm going to do, is just be patient and buy a 12-15 hunert dollar KDX and ENJOY!.

Sound reasonable??
+1
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I've got a pretty well tuned 220 and 400E with the FCR carb. The 220 is lighter and more agile, it will pull reasonably hard but has a slower top end. The 400 is a brute and blast to ride, heavy and tall but that mofo will friggin ROLL. If I had to choose one.....I would take the 220, simply b/c it gives you the ability to flick and ride tight woods.Put a Z in the woods or drop it and you've got a lot on your hands. Plus you don't have to worry about valves, battery and the host of small preventative mods you have to do to the Z.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
NewMexico505

Re: How much funner is the KDX than a DRZ 400?

Post by NewMexico505 »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:I know these bikes are vastly different...but for some reason or another, I've settled either on the DRZ 400 (old, dirtbike....not enduro) or the KDX....OR a KTM 200 exc if I can find one....

I am going to be doing a LOT of play riding... some on tracks, mostly on trails and gravel pits and such... I LOVE the power of the DRZ I'm riding now, but am really thinking the lightweight and better handling of the KDX will be the cats patooty...

Opinions??
Now go ask the same question on a DRZ site, each bike-specific site is biased to their own.
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

Yeah... I have dont that at TT.... and you are right. And I go back and forth hourly!!! Like mentioned above though... the Deez is just a big bike and riding anything technical, steep, rocky, tight and such... I am thinking it would be a bear.... Drop it a couple times and be Worn Out... Then there's the valves and such....

I dont know... I have a very clean and good running DRZ next door that is for sale at a reasonable price...

I can ride it anytime I want ....

Right now, I am going to focus on finding a KDX owner in Billings area to let me take a little spin. There are even a couple other bikes I'd like to try. Although...I just have a feeling I'll be happy with the KDX...
06' 200 Bone Stock
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Just get two jobs and buy them BOTH ! :lol:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
Sapphire wrote:Yeah... I have dont that at TT.... and you are right. And I go back and forth hourly!!! Like mentioned above though... the Deez is just a big bike and riding anything technical, steep, rocky, tight and such... I am thinking it would be a bear.... Drop it a couple times and be Worn Out... Then there's the valves and such....

I dont know... I have a very clean and good running DRZ next door that is for sale at a reasonable price...

I can ride it anytime I want ....

Right now, I am going to focus on finding a KDX owner in Billings area to let me take a little spin. There are even a couple other bikes I'd like to try. Although...I just have a feeling I'll be happy with the KDX...
You can not go wrong with the KDX. Fast, Low maint. plenty of room to grow and relativley inexpensive.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Just a FCR carb is 1/3rd the cost of a decent KDX. I wouldn't mind having a 400 as a dual sport, but for a trailered bike....KDX wins.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I like my DRZ440SM on the road. On the trail I do not want to think about lifting a 300+ lb. machine up. For the dirt I would go with the KDX. A FCR39MX from TT is over $500, MRD Race Pipe System $350+ & its a 4Broke$$$$$$$$$$
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

"A FCR39MX from TT is over $500, MRD Race Pipe System $350+ & its a 4Broke$$$$$$$$$$"

I'm sorry, you lost me. .. are you saying a new carb and pipe will make it rip ass???
:rolleyes:
exbee

Post by exbee »

He's saying the "hop up" parts are expensive and in the end it's still a heavy 4-stroke that's costly to rebuild...
Sapphire
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Sapphire »

I "think" the 00' Deezer I'm looking at has the FCR...Khelein or something like that?? The thing rips for sure, but Ijust dont want it to fall on me in the rocks!!!

By the time you put bark busters and skid plates and ??? else on the KDX...how heavy are they getting? Is there any easy ways to bump them down another 10 puonds?

I'm splitting hairs here...I need to quit that :blink:
06' 200 Bone Stock
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

The DRZ will never be as good as the KDX in tight wood mainly because of the weight.
Also, the z is more expensive to mod and get it on par with the kdx imo, just the carb and yoshi pipe is like over 1000 bux. For that much you can do RB, KX front end and suspension tune up...
On stock suspension, in more open terrain like desert riding, the z most likely handles better than a KDX; however, if they're tune right I don't think it'd make that much difference.
The DRZ has a somewhat bullet proof motor for a 4 stroke, the valve adjustment is fairly easy and don't really need to be adjusted that often, there are a few mods and preventive maintenance that makes it very reliable. I consider it to be the equivalent (for reliability) of the KDX in the 4 stroke world if that makes sense.

With that being said, the only real advantage of the z, is you can plate it and dual sport it.
kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

Not to mention the KDX is a lot easier to work on. I have owned both, and I would much rather work on the KDX. The DRZ FCR carb is a pain to pull off, the fuel air mixture screw is facing down at the starter, and it is much more difficult to jet that carb. The DRZ also feels so much heavier then the KDX. The only thing I liked about the DRZ was that it seemed to pull forever on the top end.
Jonooffler

Post by Jonooffler »

Hi I have owned a DRZ400 and the KDX220 yes the DRZ has a lot of grunt but I would always go for the KDX every time It's way more fun and a hell of a lot lighter.As for the KTM well nice bike but the KDX will run for longer and is less of a handfull.
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.
KillDozer

Post by KillDozer »

I've got a drz 400 it's one of the easiest bikes to wheelie that I've owned. My kx 500 was pretty easy to wheelie too.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

My buddy had the DRZ and it is a neet bike but it is very heavy compared to the KDX. If you like to sit down when you ride and have mild, open trails then the DRZ will be ok but if you have tight, rough terrain and you like to "dance" with your bike the KDX is the way to go.

If you get the DRZ, make sure you ride with a buddy so when you lay her down in the woods you can take turns getting it kick started.

The KDX is very inexpensive to own and very cheep to hop up and make it fit your riding style.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch