Help needed with Kips

Got questions? We got answers....
kywoodsrider

Help needed with Kips

Post by kywoodsrider »

I am a long time YZ250 rider, but decided to give the KDX a try. I picked up a like new 2000 KDX220 that the previous owner had put the boysen reeds in, 35mm carb and PC silencer. When I rode the bike for the first time it was completely dead on the top end. I was disappointed. However on the second ride I figured out that the bike was just loaded up. Once I got it cleared out it preformed well. Still a little rich on the jetting. In the process I pulled the slotted access cover off to verify that the Kips was working properly. When I rev the motor the cam turns, but it doesn't turn much at all. The most I could get it to turn while reving the motor was like from the 12 o'clock position to the 11 o'clock. How much should the cam turn?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looking at that cam is just to verify that it is working.... that's not to say that it is not completely gummed up and needs a cleaning.

Pull the carb and check your jets.... tell us what they are.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

So if the cam turns at all, then you know that the pin on the actuator shaft is not broken?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Correct...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

The needle is third clip from the top the pilot is a 45 the main is a 150. This is with the KDX 200 carb on the 220. Main seems a little big to me.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It should be fine.... 220 porting is different though.....

I think I would pull the topend and check for a replacement piston (if it's stock you will need to put a Wiseco in) and clean the KIPS assembly.

If you don't have a manual.... get the one up top and to the right. It will guide you through the gotchas of the process. You need to support the actuating arm and the nut on the claw is left hand threaded.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

The bike does not have many hours on it, but it has had a top end done on it by the P.O. The P.O. was a big KDX guy and has had them all his life. He did seem to know his stuff. What should the airscrew be set at? (1.5 turns out)?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Depends on air temp.... it is not one set point.

The point on the piston is that 220 pistons are grenades. They have to be changed out immediately to a Wiseco or you will risk major damage to your bike. It is well documented on this site.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Where are you located in KY Woodsrider?
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
kywoodsrider

Post by kywoodsrider »

Bowling Green